Should I make this advice column a weekly thing?

• Yes!

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Meh.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Hello everyone!!

Let me start by saying that this post and any in this series that follow it might ramble on a bit but I promise that i'll try to do my best to keep it short and informative... while making it fun to read and experience.

So This series will be a bit special. This is designed to give me a way to discuss some partner issues that have cropped up recently that I can help with, or shed some light on. This is written from my point of view and may not reflect the official policies or stance of Freedom! as a company in any way. Now with that out of the way here we go!!

The Topic!!

I've seen lots of people talking about certain sub categories of games being too flooded to make an impact. This happens with Vlogging, Gaming (Minecraft, CS:Go), and many other "verticals" in rotation.
  • A "Vertical" is like a subset or sub market of something
So How Do I Be successful in a crowded Niche?
That's easier than you might think. Minecraft is a good example. I'll use it as I'm a former YouTube gamer so I can speak from experience. Minecraft has been a very competitive space for a very longtime so let me tell you how I've seen it work!
Metadata, Metadata, Metadata!!
  • Metadata is defined as your Tags, Title, and Description. Pretty much any text about or dealing with your videos
Choosing an appropriate set of metadata is key. in fact i'll go this far. if you're in a crowded niche and not thinking about metadata BEFORE filming you're doing it wrong. Metadata is essentially the way YouTube, Google, and other search/recommendation engines decide who gets what content. if you're not planning this out you're not putting yourself in a good spot for success.

What do I put in my YouTube Descriptions?
That's a brilliant question!! So I've explained a bit of that here and even given a working example that's relevant for all channels! I'll be working on one soon explaining Tags, and title.

What do i put in my tags?
I'm still writing about the best way to do YouTube tags but here's the short version that will have to do until I finish the support article.
Tags should mostly be phrases especially when in a crowded niche. When you do Minecraft (as that's the example we're using) think of multi word tags that narrow down interest. so rather than "minecraft" maybe save that for when you run out of ideas and use things like

Code:
 "hunger games" "survival games" "minecraft update" "minecraft let'splay" "southern accent" "american English" "minecraft server fun" "Minecraft pvp"

these are much more targeted than any single word tag you could ever use.

As for titles it's really up to you but i'd say try to keep in mind that this should be a part of your value proposition to your viewer and not just a place to list games, mods, etc. Get creative and give people a reason to watch. Pitch YOUR value and not the value of the gameplay when possible.

So this is a short one if you want more let me know and i'll try to make this advice column a weekly-ish thing.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hello everyone!!

Let me start by saying that this post and any in this series that follow it might ramble on a bit but I promise that i'll try to do my best to keep it short and informative... while making it fun to read and experience.

So This series will be a bit special. This is designed to give me a way to discuss some partner issues that have cropped up recently that I can help with, or shed some light on. This is written from my point of view and may not reflect the official policies or stance of Freedom! as a company in any way. Now with that out of the way here we go!!

The Topic!!

I've seen lots of people talking about certain sub categories of games being too flooded to make an impact. This happens with Vlogging, Gaming (Minecraft, CS:Go), and many other "verticals" in rotation.
  • A "Vertical" is like a subset or sub market of something
So How Do I Be successful in a crowded Niche?
That's easier than you might think. Minecraft is a good example. I'll use it as I'm a former YouTube gamer so I can speak from experience. Minecraft has been a very competitive space for a very longtime so let me tell you how I've seen it work!
Metadata, Metadata, Metadata!!
  • Metadata is defined as your Tags, Title, and Description. Pretty much any text about or dealing with your videos
Choosing an appropriate set of metadata is key. in fact i'll go this far. if you're in a crowded niche and not thinking about metadata BEFORE filming you're doing it wrong. Metadata is essentially the way YouTube, Google, and other search/recommendation engines decide who gets what content. if you're not planning this out you're not putting yourself in a good spot for success.

What do I put in my YouTube Descriptions?
That's a brilliant question!! So I've explained a bit of that here and even given a working example that's relevant for all channels! I'll be working on one soon explaining Tags, and title.

What do i put in my tags?
I'm still writing about the best way to do YouTube tags but here's the short version that will have to do until I finish the support article.
Tags should mostly be phrases especially when in a crowded niche. When you do Minecraft (as that's the example we're using) think of multi word tags that narrow down interest. so rather than "minecraft" maybe save that for when you run out of ideas and use things like

Code:
 "hunger games" "survival games" "minecraft update" "minecraft let'splay" "southern accent" "american English" "minecraft server fun" "Minecraft pvp"

these are much more targeted than any single word tag you could ever use.

As for titles it's really up to you but i'd say try to keep in mind that this should be a part of your value proposition to your viewer and not just a place to list games, mods, etc. Get creative and give people a reason to watch. Pitch YOUR value and not the value of the gameplay when possible.

So this is a short one if you want more let me know and i'll try to make this advice column a weekly-ish thing.

Great Post Idea. I bet this will help alot of partners. It puts the boring but important stuff often overlooked into a sort of cool format.
Keep rambling on! (y) (Y)

Reactions: Anthony Smith