A new mic

LJ Shipwreck

New User
Jul 18, 2016
YouTube
LJshipwreck
So I have been using the blue yeti for years now but it is getting old and is starting to not want to work right. I came on here because I have been looking for new mics but can't seem to find any. The type of mic is the ones that the bigger gaming youtubers use. I have the mic arm and everything I just can't find the type of mic I need. I need a mic that does not pick up a lot of background noise at all since I do tend to have a noisy background. Any suggestions?

Terry Smith

Aug 31, 2015
YouTube
from what I hear, the AT2020 is a wonderful mic. and if you power it via an actual mixer and not just usb, it can sound amazing

MWproductions1000

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Apr 21, 2014
Ohio
YouTube
I'd recommend a Shure PGA27, but you should know that if you go with XLR to get a nicer sound, you'll have to get an interface that converts XLR to USB like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
There are lots of great microphones out there, personally using AT2020 usb one for 5 years now, and, have not had an issue with it, currently also using a voice meeter to help with the quality -- works like a charm.

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
What they said. The AT2020. Either that or a Blue Yeti which I've been using for about 3 years now. Works great and sound quality is amazing.

Hate to break it to you, but Blue Yeti isn't as amazing as AT2020 is, there was a video that I watched which explained it very good, let me try to find it --

TotalGamerHolic

Distinguished User
Nov 4, 2014
US, Ohio
YouTube
Hate to break it to you, but Blue Yeti isn't as amazing as AT2020 is, there was a video that I watched which explained it very good, let me try to find it --

Well, I find the quality of the Yeti to be perfectly acceptable for my videos. I've used the AT in college a lot and I agree the quality is exceptional. I'd certainly like to invest in one eventually but right now I'm in no rush.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube

Lol, uses a stolen video as an example, that video is manipulated to make the USB mics look bad using click-bait to get views and pretty much stealing word for word from another creator just to get views, he also compared a full pro setup to a budget mic. Ignore whats said in the video, its meant to start a riot.​

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
Lol, uses a stolen video as an example, that video is manipulated to make the USB mics look bad using click-bait to get views and pretty much stealing word for word from another creator just to get views, he also compared a full pro setup to a budget mic. Ignore whats said in the video, its meant to start a riot.​

Yes, it manipulates to make the USB mics to look bad, lol -- Yet I use AT2020 which HE ALSO suggest in the video, and, he also says that there are SOME USB microphones that ARE good, NOT ALL OF THEM, if you're bothered to listen and/or read the damn description, then you'd know better to accuse other people.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Yes, it manipulates to make the USB mics to look bad, lol -- Yet I use AT2020 which HE ALSO suggest in the video, and, he also says that there are SOME USB microphones that ARE good, NOT ALL OF THEM, if you're bothered to listen and/or read the damn description, then you'd know better to accuse other people.

He still stole most of the video (and completely failed to credit the original until he was called out on it) The like to dislikes on his video vs the original shows that fact well enough.

This is getting off topic though so lets just leave it there, I personally plan on getting an XLR setup when I can afford it, nothing amazing to start, but it will be better than the gaming headset mic I'm currently using.​

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
He still stole most of the video (and completely failed to credit the original until he was called out on it) The like to dislikes on his video vs the original shows that fact well enough.

This is getting off topic though so lets just leave it there, I personally plan on getting an XLR setup when I can afford it, nothing amazing to start, but it will be better than the gaming headset mic I'm currently using.​

Off topic would make it then when we speak about something else, this is an on topic discussion and it'd help people to have a better look before buying the microphone for their content... Just because the video is stolen doesn't mean it won't have good points that were brought up by the non-original owner of the video (what is original on YouTube anyways nowadays) -- There are far superior microphones that aren't so said crap when it comes to it's quality, like AT2020 for an example.

Therefore, I suggest an AT2020+ or AT2035 (which is an XLR microphone)

Capt_Dark

Freedom! Member
Mar 12, 2017
YouTube
If you can afford it get a Shure sm7b dbx 286s scarlett 212i and some properly shielded Xlr cables and you're good to go low noise floor plenty of features[DOUBLEPOST=1500664868][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you can afford it get a Shure sm7b dbx 286s scarlett 212i and some properly shielded Xlr cables and you're good to go low noise floor plenty of features
Let me correct myself MOST XLR mics will work with the dbx 286s it has phantom and up to 60db of gain outputting a clean signal if you want a review just watch on of my video's and you can hear how quiet it is