2016 - Best Park Simulator Year ever? (Rant)

TeamRespawn

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Something to note before I begin - I absolutely loved the original Roller Coaster Tycoon games on PC during my childhood. And I wasn't as much into RCT3 as 1 and 2 IMO. That is all.

Have you noticed that 2016 has been an amazing year for park simulators? I recently got into the Parkitect beta, and I think it is a really good park simulator game! It holds that classic RCT 1 and 2 feel while keeping the animations and graphics fresh and new. It looks really promising and is coming to Steam in May. Also Planet Coaster is looking incredible. I do not own it but it looks great from what I have seen on Youtube.

Finally, today I discovered a mod for RCT2 called OpenRCT2. This mod makes the classic game even better with multiplayer, cheats, bug fixes, and so much more that makes my childhood smile. And best of all, this mod is free! The only downside to this is that RCT World is not looking well, but with these spiritual successors coming out, Im not worried.

For so long we often wondered when the next great park simulator game would come out, and just like that, we got three of them (Parkitect, Planet Coaster, Open RCT2). What a time to be alive folks!

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
I was just talking to someone the other day about this. I really love these games, but the games these days arnt what I want.

When i first played a game like this it was Theme Park, one the first playstation. I loved that game cause it had premade rides and attrations and whatnot. But you ultimate goal is to place things in the perfect way to maximize park visitors and money earned.

But now... they seems more like architect programs where you have to design everything yourself, and its alot of messing around. Which is cool if I had alot of free time to design my own park exactly the way I want... But, I dont have that kind of time anymore.

I want a kindof theme park management game, not so much a theme park architect simulator... if you know what I mean.

Do you know of any games like that?

I just looked up Parkitect... seems to be up my alley... lol

Last edited:

TeamRespawn

Respected User
Freedom! Member
I was just talking to someone the other day about this. I really love these games, but the games these days arnt what I want.

When i first played a game like this it was Theme Park, one the first playstation. I loved that game cause it had premade rides and attrations and whatnot. But you ultimate goal is to place things in the perfect way to maximize park visitors and money earned.

But now... they seems more like architect programs where you have to design everything yourself, and its alot of messing around. Which is cool if I had alot of free time to design my own park exactly the way I want... But, I dont have that kind of time anymore.

I want a kindof theme park management game, not so much a theme park architect simulator... if you know what I mean.

Do you know of any games like that?

I just looked up Parkitect... seems to be up my alley... lol

I see what you mean...I think the only one that is kind of similar to what you are talking about is Parkitect. Of course, the game is not done yet, so more features (including a story/campaign mode) will be added, which might define it being more about managing a park than designing one.

Of course, the old roller coaster tycoon games have scenarios where you manage a completed park rather than start a new one from scratch.