Trippst3r

Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2016
United States
YouTube
ItsTrippst3r
Hey Freedom! Our own member @Madness shared a video speaking of a new policy YouTube pushed out effective April 6, 2017 (See the video here). To keep things brief, it is essentially stating that YouTube will no longer allow you to monetize on videos shared by channels with less than 10,000 views. I did a simple search through some site I found called Google and I immediately noticed several larger news sites (USA Today, The Verge, many more) report on this.

Has anyone else heard of this? What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think this will affect Freedom! and/or you being a part of an MCN (Freedom! or others)?

Reactions: Marsh2907

Trippst3r

Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2016
United States
YouTube
ItsTrippst3r
I completely agree with you all. I always tell people to do YouTube because you enjoy it, to not even worry about money. If you go into YouTube trying to make easy, big bucks, you're doing it completely wrong. The people that make a living off of the platform didn't start their journey expecting to be where they are. That said, my main concern was how this will affect networks. It seems ultimately that networks make money from the creators, and removing the option to monetize for smaller channels could effect networks with many smaller channels such as our own Freedom! Network.

Reactions: zeke morgan

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
We did also mention this issue in the latest FFF thread. It's going to be very interesting in the coming weeks / month seeing how this shakes YouTube and networks.

MrJ

Mar 25, 2017
YouTube
Doesn't bother me
10,000k views isn't enough to make real money anyway. Besides you can still have sponsors in your videos if you really need the money. I only do youtube for fun and if I were to get paid I would most likely use the money to by better equipment for youtube e.g. better computer, editing software etc...

MykieDoesStuff

Freedom! Member
Jul 28, 2016
YouTube
Agent_Proxy
Ye heard it from a few different YouTubers and I gave the blog a read too. I think it's a great move by YouTube and I agree with what andy98 + The Eternal Dreamers said above. If money is all you care about when they start YouTube then unfortunately there in the wrong place for that.
Completely agree on this.

Edit: Also it's great to get rid of these channels that re-upload other videos for self profit.

Reactions: Marsh2907

AneiDoru

New User
Apr 8, 2017
YouTube
It's 10k views OVERALL, like, your entire channel, I barely have anything and I have about 8k, 10k views is stupidly small.

Rvcboy

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 20, 2016
Estonia
YouTube
Personally I am completely fine with the new policy. Yes, I cannot earn money from my videos at the moment, but I do not see a reason to be pissed because of those couple pennies a month I make off my channel as I am in network to get help and resources if I need any for my channel at a certain moment.

Purpleoak

Freedom! Member
Mar 30, 2017
Alabama
YouTube
willie_nutter
The whole 10k views is a very good thing in my opinion. It will weed out all the garbage channels, like with what made the boycott happen, stealing peoples videos and trying to make money off of them...plus 10k isn't going to bring you a boat load of money anyway haha. I have almost 14k views and I'm close to 10$

Reactions: MasterJPixel