YouTube Who does YouTube use to edit copyrighted music?

C

Corpfox

One of my videos had copyrighted music. So, I clicked the "Remove song" button and figured they would do that. Hours later, they desync that part of the removed music. (facepalm)

Thanks to that, I have to re-upload the video and edited myself. I've never had this problem when YouTube removes a portion of my video.

I'm so curious if that DOES HAPPEN when YouTube removes a portion of a video.

Last edited by a moderator:

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
One of my videos had copyrighted music. So, I clicked the "Remove song" button and figured they would do that. Hours later, they desync that part of the removed music. (facepalm)

Thanks to that, I have to re-upload the video and edited myself. I've never had this problem when YouTube removes a portion of my video.

I'm so curious if that DOES HAPPEN when YouTube removes a portion of a video.
They mute a section, though that's pretty rare from what I've seen. Mostly they'll claim the revenue, block the video in certain areas and/or on certain devices instead.

Reactions: Corpfox

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
The YouTube copyright music replacement is very basic it will just mute all sound and replace it with one of their songs. Best not to rely on that if possible. Hopefully a better after video editor will come out at some stage...

Here is a small tip for future videos when using copyrighted music. If you use 30 seconds or less of a song you don't get a copyright claim.

Where did you hear this from? As far as I know even less than 5 seconds of music can be claimed as copyright. They are just less likely to pick it up

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
Where did you hear this from? As far as I know even less than 5 seconds of music can be claimed as copyright. They are just less likely to pick it up
I figured it out over the years. Whenever I use 30 seconds or more of a copyrighted song it gets a copyright claim, but if I use 30 seconds or less I doesn't get automatically picked up by YouTubes copyright system. The only way for it to get a copyright claim is if someone goes to your video and manually claims it. I've only had the manual claim happen once out of hundreds of videos.

PshycOnlineGaming

Freedom! Member
Aug 29, 2017
South Africa
YouTube
Pshyc_YT
I have not had this problem, I have honestly been to nervous about using any music that has copyright on it.
But making use of less than 30sec of a song does sound like it may/may not open a few doors into some nice music.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Quickly pointing out that while some amounts of songs may not be caught by content ID it still allows for manual claims which may also include strikes.

Also "But I used 30 seconds only" is not a legal defense whatsoever