Tips & Tricks THE Secret to Youtube Success!!!

IndieBin

Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2015
YouTube
Hi guys. For a few days now, the chat has been spammed with people asking for subs or posting their channel links. These are people ignorant of the rules and eager to try for a few easy subs. We look negatively upon them. But, at the end of the day, can you blame them?

Youtube is a lucrative dream. If you don't wish day in, day out to be a famous Youtuber able to live off your videos, you're lying. I'm sorry, but you are. To take your hobby and make it your job? It would be a Godsend for many of us. To sit in front of a camera or PC, to play games or chat to the internet and rake in some serious dough? That'd be awesome.

But that doesn't come overnight. It's not this sudden thing that you upload a few videos and the next morning, you've got 10K, 50K, 100K subs. And people will look up to PewDiePie or JennaMarbles and think 'I could do that'. Yes, you CAN do that. But these people have a head start. And they started in a MUCH smaller communtiy where getting noticed was easy.

Subs begged for and views grovelled for are worth nothing. They're numbers. They don't improve your work and they don't motivate you to do more. As Batman's Daddy once said: we only fall so we can get back up again. It's failure that spurs improvement and creation. Sure, it may not drive motivation but that's something we must endeavour to find for ourselves.

So here are the tops for Youtube Success:

1. Create Content
Sitting at your PC and filming you playing CS:GO or sitting in front of a camera and talking about your day at school is fine. But is it special? I'm not saying to make fresh, original content but, if you wish to be successful, you need to give people a reason to watch you. Your looks, your personality, your approach to content, your ideas. Be creative, inventive. Hell, take an idea you know and formulate your own original style from it. Give yourself a trademark, something recognizable for your community to latch onto.

2. Be Socially Confident and Active
And do this in the right way. Don't go to Freedom chat and spam channel links. Start a Twitter and Facebook, follow those you aspire to be. Look at their content and what they do online, see how they conduct themselves. Networking is usually more important for success than any other factor. Find other content creators like you. Share ideas and collaborate. Give your fan base a place to commune with other fans. Start building your online following and community.

3. Be Genuine
This is something that, sadly, people don't seem to grasp. Be yourself. So you're not funny like Jontron or clever like VSauce. You'll have something about you people are willing to watch. Be confident in yourself, your content and your abilities. If you sit there and mumble through commentary, people will see it as a lack of effort. Talk clearly and proudly, relax and adjust yourself to the idea of being in the public eye. And be honest, genuine and dependable. Don't lead your fans on with false pretences.

4. Learn Patience
Youtube is FULL of videos. A major problem I see is the number of Let's Play channels. Anyone can Let's Play these days and it's just this sea of content that people are too lazy to wade through. But the key is to keep making content. Makes videos in your own unique flair. Perhaps they won't catch on, but you haven't been noticed yet. So keep making your videos, take in critique when you can and, when you have a large library of content behind you, contact other creators for a collab. It's a good way of sharing views, ideas and experience in a genuine way. No sub4sub rubbish.

5. Improve
Take feedback. Ignore the trolls an haters telling you to 'kill yourself'. Look to the comments by people only looking to help you adapt and grow your skills as a content creator. Be mindful of your strengths and weaknesses. Don't be afraid to ask for help. The more criticism you get, the more basis you have to improve. Be careful of friends and family who will praise your work to spare your feelings. It doesn't help you or your channel.

It's not something you can change, but in this ever growing environment of online content, you'll just need luck. And the thing about chance is that it's fair; there's no bias. Some guys get features on news sites or shared and some just stay piled under the rubbish. But don't be disheartened. Every video you post COULD be the lucky one. Stay positive, stay determined and stay mindful.

TL:DR 'plz sub' is bad, patience is good.

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
For awhile, I was really impatient and couldn't figure out why I wasn't gaining subs. Then one day, I sat down and watched my own CSGO videos and thought "Wow, a whole 45 minutes of CSGO Competitive is extremely boring... especially when it's just me."

So I've been trying to get my existing irl & stream friends as well as my the people who I live with to do more with me and I've even changed up my style of uploading. Instead of doing the easy thing and just spending a 5-10 minutes editing a few parts out, I've started taking a whole 3 freaking hours to try and cut it down to the absolute best, worst and funniest moments while still showing the progress I am making towards Nova rank.

My views went from having 4-5 a video to a whopping 30+ views a video within a day or so.

PLUS...
It's been a sub train for me non-stop the last 5 days... Im about to hit 80 already o_o

I came to Freedom with 62. I haven't begged for anyone to sub to me and I don't feel comfortable advertising on other channels.

So my suggestion for those who come here looking for ideas and tips are:
1. Good things come to those who don't beg for them
2. If your views are terrible, watch your video and think "Would I watch/sub to me if I were someone else?"
3. Be experimental and watch your view count. I hate sitting in front of my monitor for 3 hours, but as long as my viewers are happy and I can go back a few hours later and be like "Holy crap, this is truly a work of art..." then I'm extremely happy I did it.

IndieBin

Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2015
YouTube
For awhile, I was really impatient and couldn't figure out why I wasn't gaining subs. Then one day, I sat down and watched my own CSGO videos and thought "Wow, a whole 45 minutes of CSGO Competitive is extremely boring... especially when it's just me."

So I've been trying to get my existing irl & stream friends as well as my the people who I live with to do more with me and I've even changed up my style of uploading. Instead of doing the easy thing and just spending a 5-10 minutes editing a few parts out, I've started taking a whole 3 freaking hours to try and cut it down to the absolute best, worst and funniest moments while still showing the progress I am making towards Nova rank.

My views went from having 4-5 a video to a whopping 30+ views a video within a day or so.

PLUS...
It's been a sub train for me non-stop the last 5 days... Im about to hit 80 already o_o

I came to Freedom with 62. I haven't begged for anyone to sub to me and I don't feel comfortable advertising on other channels.

So my suggestion for those who come here looking for ideas and tips are:
1. Good things come to those who don't beg for them
2. If your views are terrible, watch your video and think "Would I watch/sub to me if I were someone else?"
3. Be experimental and watch your view count. I hate sitting in front of my monitor for 3 hours, but as long as my viewers are happy and I can go back a few hours later and be like "Holy crap, this is truly a work of art..." then I'm extremely happy I did it.

I'm happy to see you were able to adapt and learn, change your style to something that seems to please your audience. It's all about learning! The more you put in, the more you get out.

Good to see people who take time to write down pointers for people to use. Sadly alot here spam asking for subs or the destructive sub 4 sub question...
Growing comes by motivation and dedication!

Oh yeah, you have to build yourself up overtime. It's not an overnight thing.

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
I'm happy to see you were able to adapt and learn, change your style to something that seems to please your audience. It's all about learning! The more you put in, the more you get out.

It was a rough change because I went from Editing Style A to Editing Style B and I even recently threw in some subtitles in one of my videos just so some people could understand a couple of things some of my EU CSGO friends were saying xD

But it's really been worth it and I'm extremely happy with the progress. I generally have to go take a walk afterwards and get some fresh air though.

Edit: Fixed the quotes since our posts somehow ran together.

Last edited:
Reactions: IndieBin

Lakes

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
Finland
YouTube
Thanks for all the tips here :) When i put my channel up couple of months ago, i had quite unrealistic ideas about my channel growth. I was sure if i put video up it will instantly get views and i get subs. First weeks were hardest, my first language isnt english but i chose to do my videos in that language. My first videos sounds awfull and very bad mic didnt help. As i was mumbling my way trough videos as i sound very uncomfort, stressed and like.. im not sure whats the word in english. But sounded like i didnt want to be other end of the mic and i got exhausted after recording about half an hour :D(had to take a nap after recording :D) my speech just turned into this mumbling what noone understands, not even me :D. Its not really suprice if noone didnt watch my videos. Im much more comfortable now with mic and i dont get exhausted speaking english. Anyway i still dont have any subs :D and thats no problem. This is like learning experience for me. I'll get views when there is something watchable in my channel. And actually just started to get views, like fully watched videos. Not these 10sec views :D

Anyway i hope you all success in what ever you guys are doing :) if there is rock on your way you push trough it.. even if it means mumbling in front of mic, exhausted ;)

Mr Cotton

Nov 23, 2015
YouTube
My first commentary video was abut a week ago. It has sky rocketed past 700 views where my previous videos are barely above 80. Now the big difference between those and this one is the popular one is actually popping up on the search list despite there sharing nearly all the same tags.

WannaBeSuper

Rising User
Feb 21, 2016
YouTube
My first commentary video was abut a week ago. It has sky rocketed past 700 views where my previous videos are barely above 80. Now the big difference between those and this one is the popular one is actually popping up on the search list despite there sharing nearly all the same tags.
that's awesome

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
I actually gained a lot confidence with these tips as I always try to improve on my commentary and be more funny kind of or more energetic....but its been a long time and seriously a long time since I collabed with anyone because whenever I contact someone to collab they agree to do so but in the end it never happens

KingJeffo

Freedom! Member
Oct 23, 2014
YouTube
Thanks for taking the time and write this up for people who are looking for good tips to reach the top. And most of what you listed is pretty much what you need to be a successful youtuber. And I'll keep in mind about your tips :3