Tips & Tricks Is facecam necessary for Let's Plays?

Is facecam necessary for Let's Plays?

• Total voters

RunDevilRun007

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 23, 2015
Seoul, Republic of Korea
YouTube
SevDivine
So because of my computer being **** and being unable to afford a new one I can not record facecams with my Let's Plays, it drops my framerate horribly and in the end the facecam just comes out laggy and horrible. So my question to you guys is...Is it really necessary? Can good commentary carry a Let's Play without seeing the face? I'd like to do facecam one day when I get a new PC, but for now I just can't. So I'd like some opinions before continuing, I can put Let's Plays on the back burner and focus on my reviews and upcoming retrospective.

InstaSim

A Welsh Entertainment Channel
Freedom! Member
Jul 20, 2015
Wales, UK
YouTube
InstaSim6
Commentary is more important than Facecam. If recording gameplay or let's play or anything really, Commentary is quite important so you can interact with your viewers. If you want to show your reaction towards something then Facecams are important too. With horror games, for example, it's a good idea to put a Facecam because people like to see the reaction to jumpscares, but with a casual game, it's not a necessity to put one.

So because of my computer being **** and being unable to afford a new one I can not record facecams with my Let's Plays, it drops my framerate horribly and in the end the facecam just comes out laggy and horrible. So my question to you guys is...Is it really necessary? Can good commentary carry a Let's Play without seeing the face? I'd like to do facecam one day when I get a new PC, but for now I just can't. So I'd like some opinions before continuing, I can put Let's Plays on the back burner and focus on my reviews and upcoming retrospective.
You should be fine without a facecam as long as the commentary is good which at times can be difficult with lets plays and make sure if you dont use facecam then to only use the interesting bits that would actually keep people entertained

RunDevilRun007

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 23, 2015
Seoul, Republic of Korea
YouTube
SevDivine
You should be fine without a facecam as long as the commentary is good which at times can be difficult with lets plays and make sure if you dont use facecam then to only use the interesting bits that would actually keep people entertained

Yeah, that's something I've learned to do from watching Jacksepticeye, he edits out slow, boring parts or parts where he doesn't talk a lot/at all and I started doing the same.

you dont have to do facecam. Even better you can save that reveal for a milestone then :D

I've revealed my face for my 200 Sub special, mostly cause I wanted to do more content that involved showing my face :p

In my opinion it isn't but the same goes for commentary. I find those 2 things optional. In some cases it can make content better but in some cases it can make content worse.

I've not really seen examples where people got anywhere by making videos without commentary. o_O

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Yeah, that's something I've learned to do from watching Jacksepticeye, he edits out slow, boring parts or parts where he doesn't talk a lot/at all and I started doing the same.

I've revealed my face for my 200 Sub special, mostly cause I wanted to do more content that involved showing my face :p

I've not really seen examples where people got anywhere by making videos without commentary. o_O

Well i have 201 subs and never did any commentary. This took me a year but i gained 50+ subs in the last 2 weeks :p

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Oh wow :eek: I'm impressed :)
Like i always said, dedication is the key. By uploading daily and staying dedicated to the game is what brought me this far. I know it is tough without commentary but i like it thus way and always recievee positive feedback about my gameplay video's so i'm happy as it is and will continue this way :)

RunDevilRun007

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 23, 2015
Seoul, Republic of Korea
YouTube
SevDivine
Like i always said, dedication is the key. By uploading daily and staying dedicated to the game is what brought me this far. I know it is tough without commentary but i like it thus way and always recievee positive feedback about my gameplay video's so i'm happy as it is and will continue this way :)

It's tough for me because my laptop is **** and on top of that it's dying, so there's not a lot I can play. But hopefully I can find some games I can stay dedicated to till I can get a PC donated to me or I can eventually buy one.

RunDevilRun007

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 23, 2015
Seoul, Republic of Korea
YouTube
SevDivine
ya don't have to have face cam ^_^ I don't do facecam sometimes and all I do is do good commentary and edit out anything that is boring in parts of the videos

That's what I'm doing for now :) And hey, I used to live in Bullhead City :D

Facecam isn't a must, neither is commentary. But it's nice to see/hear them in a video. It gives the video a personality.

I definitely like to have commentary because I like to make jokes while I play and I find a lot of people enjoy listening to me rage when I get my ass kicked :p eventually I'll do facecam when I get a new PC.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
A facecam gamer is what happens when a vlog and a letsplay get smashed into one video.

You must be good with the camera and with the gameplay in order for it to work. In short, only do Facecam if it actually works. If you're kinda just there, it wouldn't be worth doing. If you are generating a secondary source of potential entertainment, then yes, it would work.