Resources if you microphone is getting random static and cutting out does it mean it's about to break?

crazybloodmonkey

Rising User
Oct 24, 2014
YouTube
so i have the samson meteor mic and i've it had for about 2 years now and about 2 weeks ago it started getting some random static and just recently i believe it starting cutting out while i was recording a video. what weird is these things only happened while recording the commentary live i recorded a post commentary and my mic was fine. so i'm just wondering if I'm going to need to buy a new microphone pretty soon.

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
so i have the samson meteor mic and i've it had for about 2 years now and about 2 weeks ago it started getting some random static and just recently i believe it starting cutting out while i was recording a video. what weird is these things only happened while recording the commentary live i recorded a post commentary and my mic was fine. so i'm just wondering if I'm going to need to buy a new microphone pretty soon.
Checking your audio settings is important. I had to lower my normal output because my computer is too low powered to handle it. Have you replugged your microphone multiple times before recording?

crazybloodmonkey

Rising User
Oct 24, 2014
YouTube
As fattmat said replugging it would be good verification to define if it's actually broken but if it still has static
a) It's on the verge of breaking.
b) There is something causing the static.
i'm hoping it's b. i'm thinking it might be my elgato software doing it because it seems to always happen when i recording using the live commentary feature with it. but i didn't have this problem when i was using my mic for a post commentary with sony movie studio 11 i guess i should test it out in sony moive stuido for a long time to see if it is the elgato's software or if my mic is actually doing it