Tips & Tricks How do you record your raw footage?

ceo Lorenzo

Rising User
Apr 29, 2017
YouTube
ceoLorenzoYT
This post will probably be only for gaming content creators but who knows, others might find it useful or have some tips aswell. So i was wondering how others like to record their raw footage for their videos. And what I mean by this is, do you record just one long session or do you record small bits? (I know the title might be a little wrong but I don't know how else to phrase it :p)

For example this is what I've been doing so far: for my CSGO videos I just start recording at the start of the round and stop when I die and sometimes record my teammates while I'm dead. I feel like this gives me easier access to edit my video because I don't just put the whole match on Youtube but certain parts that are entertaining. I also feel like it's easier to store cool clips for future references. But for my 2 outlast videos I've recorded so far I just record long parts and only stop if I'm stuck (recording like this also has the danger of OBS crashing and you losing your recording if you record in mp4) because this type of video needs a lot less editing than a CSGO video.

So what are your thoughts on this? Would you do it different?

darkcade1

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 23, 2015
YouTube
When I was recording my videos I was recording anywhere between 30 minutes to 5 hours of video in one run and then cutting and editing video content from that. It's time consuming and tedious but ensured I didn't miss anything while recording.

Reactions: ceo Lorenzo

StormMoreno

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 25, 2016
Ohio, United States
YouTube
StormMoreno
When I record normal let's plays I do it around 20-30 minutes while if I'm playing a game with my friends I usually record for 1 hour to 2 hours and keep notes on what happened so when I go back it's easier to find and get rid of stuff that I don't need.

Reactions: ceo Lorenzo

Mardy Rooster

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2017
YouTube
mardy_rooster
I record one match and use that as background footage or i record one or 2 matches (if it's a live commentary) and edit them. either way I start recording a few seconds before the match starts and end a few seconds after

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
If I go for Lets Plays I record the in 1 whole video even though my recorder splits it into different videos like 15 mins each but yea and for montages like CSGO I would again record the whole game like for 2-3 hours and then edit them out and for what I do in my channel I record the video and add post commentary and then add some extra parts later by recording them again

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
This post will probably be only for gaming content creators but who knows, others might find it useful or have some tips aswell. So i was wondering how others like to record their raw footage for their videos. And what I mean by this is, do you record just one long session or do you record small bits? (I know the title might be a little wrong but I don't know how else to phrase it :p)

For example this is what I've been doing so far: for my CSGO videos I just start recording at the start of the round and stop when I die and sometimes record my teammates while I'm dead. I feel like this gives me easier access to edit my video because I don't just put the whole match on Youtube but certain parts that are entertaining. I also feel like it's easier to store cool clips for future references. But for my 2 outlast videos I've recorded so far I just record long parts and only stop if I'm stuck (recording like this also has the danger of OBS crashing and you losing your recording if you record in mp4) because this type of video needs a lot less editing than a CSGO video.

So what are your thoughts on this? Would you do it different?
I always livestream on Youtube Gaming and upload that afterwards. I gain views for the stream and afterwards for the video. 2 birds with one stone ^^