Tips & Tricks How can i get better at live commentarys

The Leaping Legion

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 20, 2015
YouTube
Buster_46
Alrighty! Well, here goes:

Trust me, we went through the same faze when we started out. I, Nick, wanted to record individual as well, but it didnt trun out vary well. It helps alot to record with freinds or with a collaboration. Commentating talking to someone else is much easier then alone. Get some practice in like that, and then go try to do it alone, if you wish to do so.

I use paint.net for my thumbnails, just make sure they are apealing to the eye!

My youtube channel as an example for some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIzfmqCsgucUltjH1_aFdrA

Good luck! Message me if you have any more questions, i might be able to help!

BedfastDuck

Renowned User
Mar 20, 2015
YouTube
Live commentaries are kind of hard starting out, but eventually you will get the hang of it.
First thing is first, your microphone placement and input levels. The microphone should be placed facing your face (obviously) and away from your controller. It is important to have the input level of the microphone set so it can catch your voice, and not your controllers thumbsticks. I recomend recording without speaking for a game to get the microphone level correct.

When recording a live commentary, don't stress about what you are about to say. Just sort of let it flow. If you say something that you did not mean to, you can easily edit it out in post production. Relax. Think about the content that you watch and how they commentate. Maybe you like them because they are funny, or maybe it is because they take the game seriously. It is nice in both of these instances to have someone you can communicate with.

For thumbnails you can either make them yourself using paint or photoshop, or you can find someone on Freedom's GFX area that would be willing to do it for you (although some people do charge).

Hope that helps out man!

Way

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 26, 2014
Ann Arbor
YouTube
live commentaries are like streaming a game and talking but simpler since you dont have to worry about entertaining a chat, and remember if anything goes horribly wrong you always have your editing software.

IndieBin

Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2015
YouTube
I think it's A LOT about your ability to improvise. When you're alone in the shower or in the car, pick up a topic and start talking about it, 'presenting' it to an audience. Make jokes, come up with quirky ideas. Stream too. Since streaming is live, practice your improve.

Another side of it is being comfortable when you're playing the game. You'll just need to ease into things, so record as much as you can.

EDITING! Please remember to edit out parts where you get stuck or you're clueless. So many Let's Players make content but 90% of the episode is of them stuck behind a fence.

I hope these tips help!

It's turtlez

New User
Jan 24, 2016
YouTube
Live commentaries are kind of hard starting out, but eventually you will get the hang of it.
First thing is first, your microphone placement and input levels. The microphone should be placed facing your face (obviously) and away from your controller. It is important to have the input level of the microphone set so it can catch your voice, and not your controllers thumbsticks. I recomend recording without speaking for a game to get the microphone level correct.

When recording a live commentary, don't stress about what you are about to say. Just sort of let it flow. If you say something that you did not mean to, you can easily edit it out in post production. Relax. Think about the content that you watch and how they commentate. Maybe you like them because they are funny, or maybe it is because they take the game seriously. It is nice in both of these instances to have someone you can communicate with.

For thumbnails you can either make them yourself using paint or photoshop, or you can find someone on Freedom's GFX area that would be willing to do it for you (although some people do charge).

Hope that helps out man!
I've got just a plain headset mic that picks up pretty much everything in my room, and tips on how I can stop that?

BedfastDuck

Renowned User
Mar 20, 2015
YouTube
I've got just a plain headset mic that picks up pretty much everything in my room, and tips on how I can stop that?
It sort of depends on what is in your room. If it is a minifridge or something like that, unplug it for a little while while trying to get footage, or position yourself and your mic so it is less likely to pick up. Most headset mics are cardioid, meaing they pick up what is directly in front of them in an almost semi-circle fashion. Also, what are you using for game capture? I was watching one of your videos earlier. You need to reduce the volume on your capture device and increase your voice volume.

It's turtlez

New User
Jan 24, 2016
YouTube
It sort of depends on what is in your room. If it is a minifridge or something like that, unplug it for a little while while trying to get footage, or position yourself and your mic so it is less likely to pick up. Most headset mics are cardioid, meaing they pick up what is directly in front of them in an almost semi-circle fashion. Also, what are you using for game capture? I was watching one of your videos earlier. You need to reduce the volume on your capture device and increase your voice volume.
I use the roxio gamecap had pro, next video I'll lower the game volume, also I use audacity for the voice.

BedfastDuck

Renowned User
Mar 20, 2015
YouTube
I use the roxio gamecap had pro, next video I'll lower the game volume, also I use audacity for the voice.
Okay. It's a good idea to record voice separately from the game capture itself because it compresses it down which can cause skipping and distortion.