Forums Automatically sending rules/links to new members?

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
What do you guys think? I'm curious about feedback on this matter.

While being on freedom the last few weeks, people tend to overlook the rules more than anything. Is there a method to private message new members upon arrival? I feel that people don't see everything the forum has to offer when they first start out. Granted, a personal notification could be the chance people will read the rules before posting anything. I understand that members should just "read the rules", but offering a safety net could insure a better percentage of others not doing sub4sub, yelling for attention, or littering posts with small answers.

When I joined a different forum last year, people had sectional members that sent a message to people on their profile. With freedom's status updates, I feel that it would lead to spam. But, private messaging sounds like it could work out in the long term. Manually sending messages could be bothersome, that could be another argument. So maybe investing in an auto-bot to send out an entrance message would suffice.​

WarHero

Rising User
Mar 18, 2016
www.youtube.com
YouTube
What do you guys think? I'm curious about feedback on this matter.

While being on freedom the last few weeks, people tend to overlook the rules more than anything. Is there a method to private message new members upon arrival? I feel that people don't see everything the forum has to offer when they first start out. Granted, a personal notification could be the chance people will read the rules before posting anything. I understand that members should just "read the rules", but offering a safety net could insure a better percentage of others not doing sub4sub, yelling for attention, or littering posts with small answers.

When I joined a different forum last year, people had sectional members that sent a message to people on their profile. With freedom's status updates, I feel that it would lead to spam. But, private messaging sounds like it could work out in the long term. Manually sending messages could be bothersome, that could be another argument. So maybe investing in an auto-bot to send out an entrance message would suffice.​
Good Idea to many people other SUB4SUB but they don't understand:
1 Its against the rules
2 They unsubscribe
3 They don't view any of your videos!

Reactions: Nordic Chronicles

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Good Idea to many people other SUB4SUB but they don't understand:
1 Its against the rules
2 They unsubscribe
3 They don't view any of your videos!
I feel that people get overwhelmed when they first come to the forums. A guide, or even a video on what to do for the forums would help tremendously.

As for the rules, people should know that sub4sub isn't going to work, and the views will reflect that. If they kissed butt, they could get views, but grubbing for everything shouldn't be on their to-do list. Organizing a plan will be the deciding factor early on.

Reactions: WarHero

WarHero

Rising User
Mar 18, 2016
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I feel that people get overwhelmed when they first come to the forums. A guide, or even a video on what to do for the forums would help tremendously.

As for the rules, people should know that sub4sub isn't going to work, and the views will reflect that. If they kissed butt, they could get views, but grubbing for everything shouldn't be on their to-do list. Organizing a plan will be the deciding factor early on.
So true maybe you should consider making a private video and send it to the staff at freedom? or maybe even contacting George and ask him to?

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I definitely think that some kind of personal message or video that is shown to new members needs to be implemented, the amount of times I have told new members that they can't ask / promote sub4sub is staggering

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
So true maybe you should consider making a private video and send it to the staff at freedom? or maybe even contacting George and ask him to?
That would be on my to-do list. What should the video have in regards to the forum? I could list the rules, and suggest areas to go. Heck, I'll think about making an introduction video actually, heh.
I definitely think that some kind of personal message or video that is shown to new members needs to be implemented, the amount of times I have told new members that they can't ask / promote sub4sub is staggering
I've definitely noticed that some new members ask for subs, or to check out their channel every time. I'm sure we can make a difference in time.

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Maybe send it over to George or like I said before the other freedom staff?
I finished making the video, just rendering it now. Granted it's more suited for people that work with me, it should be educational to a degree. I'll ask some of the mods to see what they think, since I did this spur of the moment, heh.

YodaMan509

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2016
somewhere out there
YouTube
Sounds like a great idea i know i tend to overlook rules when 1st joining forums and a pm even if its a admin bot might also make ppl feel welcome and that freedom support is on the ball

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Sounds like a great idea i know i tend to overlook rules when 1st joining forums and a pm even if its a admin bot might also make ppl feel welcome and that freedom support is on the ball
Shoving rules in somebodies face tends to work well. I feel that right now, people don't have the incentive to look at the rules. Even though they're staring at them almost the entire time they're here, hah. People love notifications ^^
Sounds like a good idea indeed to send a automated message with the most important rules listed.
Sounds like people are on board so far. It just depends on the implementation, and if it works with the moderators here. Or depending on the validity of the suggestion.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Shoving rules in somebodies face tends to work well. I feel that right now, people don't have the incentive to look at the rules. Even though they're staring at them almost the entire time they're here, hah. People love notifications ^^

Sounds like people are on board so far. It just depends on the implementation, and if it works with the moderators here. Or depending on the validity of the suggestion.
I think best is to tag @41Danny1 to hear what his opinion is about this suggestion :)

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
Thank you for tagging me @TwilightPrinze,

Hi all,

This is a good idea @fattmat! We actually have plans to present information on the forums in the form of videos. I think in the mean time, creating a welcome message of plain text and referring the new member to the rules before we create a welcome video. :)

I will definitely work with this idea this month or the next!

fattmat

Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Thank you for tagging me @TwilightPrinze,

Hi all,

This is a good idea @fattmat! We actually have plans to present information on the forums in the form of videos. I think in the mean time, creating a welcome message of plain text and referring the new member to the rules before we create a welcome video. :)

I will definitely work with this idea this month or the next!
Sweet, I'm glad that the post helped out in a way, cheers to everybody all around ^^

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2014
U.S.A, Illinois.
I agree, having something like a "bot" or "robot" which automatically sends messages to new members of the forum. I think this is an excellent idea, and I hope someday it gets implemented! :)