Tips & Tricks Are topic based videos a good idea?

TheApexPlayer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2015
YouTube
At the moment on my channel I do top 5 videos, funny Moments and montages. However I only post once maybe twice a week. I don't do live commentaries because I've tried them in the past and they just haven't worked out because I'm not a professional commentator. There are always moments in the video that are just silent because there isn't Much I can talk about. I have thought of a way to post more frequently. I thought of doing topic videos where I talk about a topic related to the game I am playing for example if I was playing star wars battlefront I might talk about upcoming star wars movies. Do you thinks this is a good idea.

Darkovika

Lady Darkovika
Freedom! Member
Aug 14, 2014
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Darkovika
Hi! I can give you a little bit of advice, and feel free to respond to it how you please! ^_^

1) Upload more frequently.

It's great to have a schedule, but ultimately, unless people are seeing you in their feed repeatedly, it's very easy to get swallowed up and forgotten throughout the week. When you upload a lot, your name appears more often in peoples' feeds, and they're more likely to click your name and your video.

2) Edit Commentary Videos like mad!

I have a lot of strange silences and gaps in my videos too. It happens, and I realized it's completely normal. Not many (successful) channels upload completely unedited, uncut videos anymore. Game Grumps do, but you'll notice Arin and Danny almost never stop talking. It's why they have 2+ people in every part of their channel; silence is harder to come by. Even so, their videos are rather short, 10-15 minutes. I've been doing some analytics, and it seems like right now that's the time frame for videos to be successful. So record 15 - 20 minutes of commentary videos and edit it down to best parts, story/cut scenes, and edit out the silences. It takes a lot of time and practice, but as a solo channel, even commentary videos are going to require cuts.

3) Themed videos are awesome.

Remember, keep it short. If you talk about Star Wars, you need a more focused theme. Keep vlog videos to about 5 minutes; attention spans are getting shorter with youtube videos right now, so the popular thing is to have vlog videos where even a split second of breath is edited out. Edit your vlogs so that every sentence immediately follows the previous one, leaving no time for breath; this is a psychological practice, as it means that your viewers have no time to click away from the video. When there's a breath of space, it gives them an opportunity toclick away, but remove thatopportunity, and they're going to keep looking for any kind of pause to leave- humans in general don't like to leave things unfinished.

On the topic of topics though, I'd say pick a particular though- like, "I think X will happen in the next star wars movie and here is why!" with a spoiler warning for good measure lawl. Keep it short and sweet!

Montages are some of the best things you can upload. Keep up what you're doing. Montages, best moments, and well-edited Top Videos. As long as you're enjoying your content, they will too.

Reactions: DYOUNGTv

RewindThatGaming

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2016
Ashland, PA
YouTube
Always don't quit I learn that in the past but I doing this best I could do and just be happy people watch you videos and its good idea to talk about the topics in the game but try find something else to talk about like real life, TV Shows etc.. Hope you would be successful :D

Reactions: DYOUNGTv

TheApexPlayer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2015
YouTube
Always don't quit I learn that in the past but I doing this best I could do and just be happy people watch you videos and its good idea to talk about the topics in the game but try find something else to talk about like real life, TV Shows etc.. Hope you would be successful :D
Thanks for the tip