Tips & Tricks Anyone have tips for writing descriptions?

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I'm not the best at writing description but typically I follow this format : -
- Welcome people to the video and give a quick synopsis of what happens in it - for example we do this, come across this and then fight this
- Give a brief outline of the game we are playing, normally something along the lines of publisher / studio, what the game is about , what your overall objectives are
- Thank people for watching and leave a call to arms at the end

Darrell

New User
Jan 31, 2017
YouTube
adventurday
Yeah I have been wondering about this too, also trying to think of something that is catchy and grab their attention to make the viewer actually click on it.

Thank you for mentioning this, sometimes it is not just the video that people watch, but reading about yourself and engaging with the community you are creating :)

Der Sky

Respected User
Freedom! Member
There are some good ways to write "professional" description, i describe you now how I create my description :) :

Information Video or "opinion"-Video

• I started with a introduction sentence where I used some Tags. This is important so more people can find your video and can interact with your community. My goal was, that they start to discuss about the situation in europe and the terror attacks. I think its important to discuss about such topics and inform about this. ( Dont do these kind of videos for clicks, this is the reason why I dont monitize videos like this ).
  • In the next part you can see some extra informations and links to other similar videos.
  • In the yellow section you can see that I paste a Link to my Youtube Channel for "extra" advert
  • In the next part i shared my sources and website
  • In the green part I placed a end sentence - Like "Have a nice day" day or in this case " ... my deepest condolences ..."
These Lines between the single parts are important. It looks professional and neat.

Gaming Video

• In the first part i started with an little information or introduction sentence.
  • Then i paste a link to the playlist of this game
  • In the orange field you can see again a link to my Channel where i wrote "You liked my video? Check out my other videos & my channel"
  • In the yellow field there is a copyright notice of my intro song i used
  • In the next part you can see a link to the game i played in this video "You like Garry's Mod? - Support the developers: <link to dev website>"
  • In the last green part i wrote "Have fun".
I know you can add a lot more stuff like social links etc, but i do this when i have a bigger community. The most viewers dont look at the descriptions, except for sources or for links if you told them in your video that there is a link in the desc-box.

So what is now important:
  1. Use Lines between the single sections (Introduction, Playlist link, maybe your channel link, copyright notices for music, game links and support dev), because it looks great and professional.
  2. Use arrows or other thinks like ">" or "-" for your headings --> "►Other Games i played:". This looks also professional and nice.
  3. Write a great and nice text and DONT make spelling mistakes or something like this in your language. I can do this here because english is not my first language :p But for example it looks very unprofessional when I make spelling mistakes in german (my native-language) - think about it ;)
  4. Use space between your desc. sections :)
Thats it. Don't write too much in your describtion and dont place tags there!

I hope this helps :)

mahastagram

New User
Feb 1, 2017
FIRST FEW LINE SHOULD BE ABOUT WHAT IS YOUR VIDEO ABOUT

AFTER THAT ADD LINE ASKING VIEWER TO DO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE TO CHANNEL
ADD SOME LINK OF RELATED VIDEOS OF YOUR CHANNEL

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
3-5 sentences about the video at the beginning
3-5 sentences about the series (if it is one)
links to social media stuff
3-5 sentences about the creator or channel at the bottom that's the same on every video
I agree with the 3-5 sentences about the video at the beginning. The first 2 lines of your description is huge! Use keywords within a couple sentences within the first 2 lines in a non-spammy way of the keywords. Like only use each of your MAIN keywords once within the first couple lines of the description is what I mean. Not all of your keywords in the description.

I disagree with the links to social media stuff in the description.
I don't put other social media links in my description. Only YouTube links. The reason is if someone clicks your Twitter link for example it takes the person off of YouTube ending session watch time. Making that video get penalized within the search results.

I learned this from one of my YouTube Ambassador friends that I know personally. Derral Eves.

Last edited: