Not open for further replies.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Hey guys,

Normally I'm not one to frequent the milestone section, as I feel it can get a bit mundane and vain, but this milestone seems like a good opportunity to share in my experience after being networked for a little under a year.

I was partnered on Dec. 10th 2014, and at that time I had 302 subscribers. Less than a year later, I'm a little dumbfounded that people wanted to watch me still. Granted, my first few months saw fairly slow growth, and I hit 1k back in May. It was at that time that I felt I needed to re-vamp my channel's direction and so I focused on one game only.

You may think that one game is a little narrow, but in this age where everyone and their cousin has a gaming channel, it's vital to growth that you find a niche who will want to come back for more of the similar content. Most games have very loyal followings that are very supportive for niche channels like this. If you're finding your growth a bit stagnant, maybe it's time to re-think your channel content. I've seen several great gaming channels that go unnoticed because they're going after the same market already occupied by Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, and CinnamontoastKen.

Some of my growth was some SEO luck I believe, but I also think I did a good job with video content to keep good retention rates. Keeping videos under 10minutes is fairly important in your early youtube career. Now that I've got a bit of a following, I have been realeasing more full-gameplay videos which are received well by my subs. I don't expect these to go viral though.

Keep thinking critically about your channel content, and go that extra few minutes to make an ok-video, a great video.

Cheers.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
well done on hitting this milestone, and thank you for your tip but I am afraid that changing my channel to one game would not only hinder my channel but also my joy of making video's

Row

Forum Administrator // YouTuber... -ish
Freedom! Member
Feb 21, 2014
YouTube
Woah!! That's amazing growth! Congratulations! :D

SkepticLemon

I heart Minecraft!
Freedom! Member
May 13, 2015
IE
YouTube
Hey guys,

Normally I'm not one to frequent the milestone section, as I feel it can get a bit mundane and vain, but this milestone seems like a good opportunity to share in my experience after being networked for a little under a year.

I was partnered on Dec. 10th 2014, and at that time I had 302 subscribers. Less than a year later, I'm a little dumbfounded that people wanted to watch me still. Granted, my first few months saw fairly slow growth, and I hit 1k back in May. It was at that time that I felt I needed to re-vamp my channel's direction and so I focused on one game only.

You may think that one game is a little narrow, but in this age where everyone and their cousin has a gaming channel, it's vital to growth that you find a niche who will want to come back for more of the similar content. Most games have very loyal followings that are very supportive for niche channels like this. If you're finding your growth a bit stagnant, maybe it's time to re-think your channel content. I've seen several great gaming channels that go unnoticed because they're going after the same market already occupied by Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, and CinnamontoastKen.

Some of my growth was some SEO luck I believe, but I also think I did a good job with video content to keep good retention rates. Keeping videos under 10minutes is fairly important in your early youtube career. Now that I've got a bit of a following, I have been realeasing more full-gameplay videos which are received well by my subs. I don't expect these to go viral though.

Keep thinking critically about your channel content, and go that extra few minutes to make an ok-video, a great video.

Cheers.
Congrats! Next step up is 100K subscribers, you get a Silver Play Button for that! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.