YouTube Youtube help regarding copyrighted shows

HazeyAllDazey

Rising User
Dec 9, 2015
Arizona
YouTube
Hey Everybody. I have been looking for a post about this or similar but couldnt find anything. Would anyone know if it is OK to post up a video of me watching a TV show? With me in front of the TV watching and talking. Just like Mystery Science theater. I guess. I dont want to get in trouble and figured there may be someone on here who knows about this. I have seen lots of shows on Youtube that are either resized or sped up and wondering if there is a way around this.

Reactions: Piano Uncovered

Piano Uncovered

Well-Known User
Hey Everybody. I have been looking for a post about this or similar but couldnt find anything. Would anyone know if it is OK to post up a video of me watching a TV show? With me in front of the TV watching and talking. Just like Mystery Science theater. I guess. I dont want to get in trouble and figured there may be someone on here who knows about this. I have seen lots of shows on Youtube that are either resized or sped up and wondering if there is a way around this.
I presume this would be okay but just check with a staff member before you post, don't want to be misleading you.

Reactions: HazeyAllDazey

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Hey Everybody. I have been looking for a post about this or similar but couldnt find anything. Would anyone know if it is OK to post up a video of me watching a TV show? With me in front of the TV watching and talking. Just like Mystery Science theater. I guess. I dont want to get in trouble and figured there may be someone on here who knows about this. I have seen lots of shows on YouTube that are either resized or sped up and wondering if there is a way around this.
This is a hard question and it is dependent on a case-by-case basis. I personally wouldn't advise it. You are almost guaranteed to get a claim and monetisation taken away from that video and are risking a Strike on your Channel. You could argue about that using Fair Use though which allows you to use parts of copyrighted Content in your videos if it adds to the video itself. Reaction channels in my opinion are a large issue in Copyright and I've seen YouTube (or Content holders for that regard) take down videos or channels by them for stealing content. I wouldn't advise doing it in general, though if you pause the video while talking you might as well be able to get away with it.

HazeyAllDazey

Rising User
Dec 9, 2015
Arizona
YouTube
This is a hard question and it is dependent on a case-by-case basis. I personally wouldn't advise it. You are almost guaranteed to get a claim and monetisation taken away from that video and are risking a Strike on your Channel. You could argue about that using Fair Use though which allows you to use parts of copyrighted Content in your videos if it adds to the video itself. Reaction channels in my opinion are a large issue in Copyright and I've seen YouTube (or Content holders for that regard) take down videos or channels by them for stealing content. I wouldn't advise doing it in general, though if you pause the video while talking you might as well be able to get away with it.

Thank You, I was worried about any risk at all. So what you say does kinda make me think twice. I would like to try it, but at the same time don't want any strikes against me. I was just thinking if I was blocking part of the view and maybe chopped it a bit it would pass, but too scared,lol Maybe just try it unmonetized.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
This may help you out https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html#yt-copyright-four-factors

Just note that even if your work does fall under fair use you can still get claims and YouTube will generally side with the content creator.

Just looked at some of the Mystery Science theater videos and I'd say that is very borderline fair use. If the videos were done with more recent movies/media productions they would probably get a strike for it....

HazeyAllDazey

Rising User
Dec 9, 2015
Arizona
YouTube
This may help you out https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html#yt-copyright-four-factors

Just note that even if your work does fall under fair use you can still get claims and YouTube will generally side with the content creator.

Just looked at some of the Mystery Science theater videos and I'd say that is very borderline fair use. If the videos were done with more recent movies/media productions they would probably get a strike for it....

Thank you for the reply. I was too scared to do it,lol Figured better safe than sorry.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
There is a form of content called a "Watchalong", which is where there is a video of you watching the show intended to give loners someone to watch the show with.