Offering MEGA Review Thread - Get Reviews Here!

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
CURRENT WAIT TIME:
1 day

Hi Freedom Family,
Some of you may remember that I used to have a thread on this section where I would review people's channels one after the other and I would give positives and negatives
Find it here: https://freedom.community.tm/threads/offering-channel-trailer-video-critiques.194403/

After taking a break from reviews for a while to focus on other projects I'm working on with both staff members and partners I've decided to comeback and dust off the clockwork, I'm starting a fresh new thread where you can post asking for a review of pretty much anything.

Here's some of the things you could ask to be reviewed:
  • Channel Trailer
  • Channel design (art, thumbnails and such)
  • Channel layout (how your front page is laid out)
  • Certain videos
  • SEO (tags, description, other metadata)
  • Overall channel reviews (won't be as detailed as others)
  • Website design and SEO
And the list goes on, pretty much anything digital related, I may even review your stories or such, who knows.

RULES
  • Only post one piece of content and only once.
  • Do not hijack this thread, I'm happy for you to point out something I've missed but your not to take over the thread.
  • NO SPAMMING
  • NO ADVERTISING
  • Don't just dump your videos and go, you either want a review or you don't.
  • PLEASE USE THE REPLY or the QUOTE OPTION TO THE MESSAGE YOU ARE REPLYING TO SO I CAN KEEP TRACK OF WHAT MESSAGES GOE WITH EACH OTHER!
All other forum and section rules apply to this thread.

Don't get angry if I hammer you with negatives, I will always give positive but I'm trying to help you improve, don't see it as me saying your channel sucks, see it as areas to focus on.

Also, don't just leave your video, tell me what it's about, what your channel is about, why you want the review and what areas you want reviewed.

I'm a very busy person so a review can take anywhere between 1-5 days.

All the best freedom fam!

Last edited:

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
I'd really appreciate some feedback no my channel art and thumbnails :)

As they say, simple is better. You've nailed your channel art. Besides maybe the lack of sharpness in some areas I believe it really stands out and great font choice. I really can't fault your art.
However, your thumbnails need work. The thing for me is they just don't stand our or pop. Can I suggest you use software like canva using their thumbnail template. I love your consistency but they need to be more appealing. Maybe have a picture from the video or the games logo then have a bar down the bottom with the episode number if you have the logo in the thumbnail.
Hope this has helped, may be unclear at points but should do you the job. :)

Ikerot

Anime Enthusiast
Freedom! Member
Oct 13, 2014
California
www.youtube.com
YouTube
IkerotDea
Hey dude. I recently restarted my gaming channel (3 days ago) so I'm real rusty >.< But I'd like a bit of feedback for the channel. Also, planning on getting a new banner and logo later so it could fit what I do on the channel (which are visual novels).

Yeah, I know Undertale doesn't have thumbnails and I don't have a trailer yet (that's mainly cause I don't have enough new content). Lol.

Hit me with whatever you got :]

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hey dude. I recently restarted my gaming channel (3 days ago) so I'm real rusty >.< But I'd like a bit of feedback for the channel. Also, planning on getting a new banner and logo later so it could fit what I do on the channel (which are visual novels).

Yeah, I know Undertale doesn't have thumbnails and I don't have a trailer yet (that's mainly cause I don't have enough new content). Lol.

Hit me with whatever you got :]

First impressions of your channel were pretty good. Your thumbnails stand out but are a bit too crowded and inconsistent, try get a style of graphics for your channel and stick with it. You need to get an intro and Outro. Have 5 seconds at the start showing the best moment to get your viewers engaged then have your intro then the main video. I'm not on my laptop so unfortunately I can't check your tags. Your banner and profile pic are awesome, minimalist, striking and aesthetically pleasing. Can I suggest you shorten the length of your videos.
Here's some tools I can suggest:
  • Canva (for thumbnails & graphics.
  • Keymailer (to get free steam games to stream and record)
Other then that I don't really have much else to say except good luck on your YouTube journey and never give up.

Reactions: Ikerot

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
Hi Freedom Family,
Some of you may remember that I used to have a thread on this section where I would review people's channels one after the other and I would give positives and negatives
Find it here: https://freedom.community.tm/threads/offering-channel-trailer-video-critiques.194403/

After taking a break from reviews for a while to focus on other projects I'm working on with both staff members and partners I've decided to comeback and dust off the clockwork, I'm starting a fresh new thread where you can post asking for a review of pretty much anything.

• Channel Trailer
  • Certain videos
  • Website design and SEO
And the list goes on, pretty much anything digital related, I may even review your stories or such, who knows.

RULES
  • Do not hijack this thread, I'm happy for you to point out something I've missed but your not to take over the thread.
  • NO SPAMMING
  • NO ADVERTISING
  • PLEASE USE THE REPLY or the QUOTE OPTION TO THE MESSAGE YOU ARE REPLYING TO SO I CAN KEEP TRACK OF WHAT MESSAGES GOE WITH EACH OTHER!

Don't get angry if I hammer you with negatives, I will always give positive but I'm trying to help you improve, don't see it as me saying your channel sucks, see it as areas to focus on.

Also, don't just leave your video, tell me what it's about, what your channel is about, why you want the review and what areas you want reviewed.

Hey i was hoping for an overall channel review please, i have changed many things since i started 4 months ago and was wondering what you think, i understand if its only a basic review thats no problem. Thanks.

Matthew_Satisfaction

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 30, 2016
YouTube
Hi Freedom Family,

• Channel Trailer
  • Certain videos
  • Website design and SEO

RULES
  • NO SPAMMING
  • NO ADVERTISING

Hey, I would really much appreciate some feedback on my channel trailer & thumbnail designs.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hey, I would really much appreciate some feedback on my channel trailer & thumbnail designs.

Hi,
Your thumbnails aren't that bad actually, I just think the text needs to pop it more as in some it can't be read, try to keep thumbnails simple yet engaging.
As with your trailer, that content and commentary. TOP NOTCH.
However, it isn't really engaging and it doesn't really seem like a trailer.
Trailers need to follow the 5 second rule and attract your viewers with an explosive and engaging start. Then keep the momentum flowing with a sort of montage of your best clips and moments that really showcase what your channels about.
On top of that tell your viewers about your channel and in the first 10 seconds tell them the main focus of the channel and give them a reason to subscribe.
If you need any editing help I am a filmmaker so id be glad to give you a hand. ;)

All the best

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Hey i was hoping for an overall channel review please, i have changed many things since i started 4 months ago and was wondering what you think, i understand if its only a basic review thats no problem. Thanks.

I'm going to try a new layout and do positives and negatives, just to see how it works out.

Let's start off with the positives. (y) (Y)
  • Channel art and icon is awesome, really stands out.
  • Thumbnails are pretty decent.
  • Your uploads are very consistent.
  • It's great that you use playlists for every game.
  • Video quality (Recording res, mic quality and such are great)
  • Intro is awesome!
  • Your about page is pretty good, maybe just add a bit more. ;)
Areas of improvement: ;)
  • Get an outro and put your intro in your videos. Put 5 seconds of the best part of your video at the start then have your intro. Or do a hook like Youtuber NickNimmin does. Then have your intro, then the video.
  • Your channel trailer shouldn't have a title like that, it's bad for your SEO and your overall look.
  • Channel trailer has great content but it needs to follow the 5 second rule. Get your viewers hooked with an explosive start then introduce them to your channel quickly and give them a reason to subscribe. Your trailer should be like a mini montage of your best moments. I suggest keeping it around 1 minute.
  • Your descriptions need to be worked on so their better for SEO. Setup a default template in upload defaults In the creator studio, have your social links, and a basic channel introduction/about me paragraph, then just out a description for every video above the template whenever you upload a video.
  • Your thumbnails look a bit messy, unclear or however you describe them. Make the text clearly readable, at the moment you can't really read the text, also your thumbnails shouldn't have a crowded background if you know what I mean.
Good luck

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
Firstly thanks for taking the time to give such a good review. To be fair i agree with pretty much all you said, i know i have alot to work on but i am still getting into the swing of things. I definetly agree on improving my SEO and maybe tags also. I can definetly work on my thumbnails im still testing the water with how im going to do them. As for the trailer yea i guess it could definetly be improved but i did make that only after doing youtube for a month for i have learnt alot since then. Funny enough i was going to start intros into my videos very soon, like start with some funny or interesting clip related to the video. Not sure on how to do my outro just yet. Anyway thanks for the review much appreciated.

Reactions: Showcase One

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Firstly thanks for taking the time to give such a good review. To be fair i agree with pretty much all you said, i know i have alot to work on but i am still getting into the swing of things. I definetly agree on improving my SEO and maybe tags also. I can definetly work on my thumbnails im still testing the water with how im going to do them. As for the trailer yea i guess it could definetly be improved but i did make that only after doing youtube for a month for i have learnt alot since then. Funny enough i was going to start intros into my videos very soon, like start with some funny or interesting clip related to the video. Not sure on how to do my outro just yet. Anyway thanks for the review much appreciated.

No problem. For your outro, you can just use one from freedoms branding pack until youtubers new end screen feature rolls out to everyone. You might not need a custom one.

Matthew_Satisfaction

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 30, 2016
YouTube
Hi,
Your thumbnails aren't that bad actually, I just think the text needs to pop it more as in some it can't be read, try to keep thumbnails simple yet engaging.
As with your trailer, that content and commentary. TOP NOTCH.
However, it isn't really engaging and it doesn't really seem like a trailer.
Trailers need to follow the 5 second rule and attract your viewers with an explosive and engaging start. Then keep the momentum flowing with a sort of montage of your best clips and moments that really showcase what your channels about.
On top of that tell your viewers about your channel and in the first 10 seconds tell them the main focus of the channel and give them a reason to subscribe.
If you need any editing help I am a filmmaker so id be glad to give you a hand. ;)

All the best
Alright thanks a lot, so readable text more spark and new trailer. Got it! and for the editing help i'm gonna see what I can do for another trailer and then I'll be sure to come back if I get stuck somewhere. Thanks again!

Reactions: Showcase One

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
I hope you can review my channel

Thank you

Hi, thanks for waiting.
Let's start off with your branding. Your thumbnails are sort of all over the place. There are great Minecraft ones but then you have others that are dull. Try to avoid clashes in colours and busy backgrounds. Keep them simple yet attractive. It doesn't really look good just having the episode number in plain text in the corner. Keep your videos less then 15-20 minutes. Infact try getting them near 5 minutes for better audience retention. Youneed to get an intro and Outro. Have 5 seconds at the startshowing the best moment to get your viewers engaged then have your intro then the main video. Like youtuber NickNimmin. For your outro, you can just use one from freedoms branding pack until youtubers new end screen feature rolls out to everyone. You might not need a custom one. Your channel art text kinda looks outdated but it is somewhat effective. Your about page needs to have a proper description on it. You need to get a channel trailer. Follow the 5 second rule as mentioned in posts above. Your your homepage layout it should be like this:
Popular uploads, playlists, uploads. (Have the uploads vertical)
That's pretty much it. Good luck my friend.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Could you review my channel?

*Note - I'm in the middle of a campaign upload spree

First impressions. Amazed.
Your channel art and icon both stand out and look very professional. Your recent thumbnails are great, you can easily read the text, heir simple and there's no messy background. You've also clearly labeled the episode number. You also have good descriptions, but you should put more on your about page. As I said in previous posts you need an intro and outro and need to follow the 5 second rule like NickNimmin. You need to get a channel trailer and follow the 5 and 10 second rule as mentioned in previous posts.
That's all the feedback I really have for you.
Best of luck.

_KenkaGaming _

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2016
YouTube
Hi, thanks for waiting.
Let's start off with your branding. Your thumbnails are sort of all over the place. There are great Minecraft ones but then you have others that are dull. Try to avoid clashes in colours and busy backgrounds. Keep them simple yet attractive. It doesn't really look good just having the episode number in plain text in the corner. Keep your videos less then 15-20 minutes. Infact try getting them near 5 minutes for better audience retention. Youneed to get an intro and Outro. Have 5 seconds at the startshowing the best moment to get your viewers engaged then have your intro then the main video. Like youtuber NickNimmin. For your outro, you can just use one from freedoms branding pack until youtubers new end screen feature rolls out to everyone. You might not need a custom one. Your channel art text kinda looks outdated but it is somewhat effective. Your about page needs to have a proper description on it. You need to get a channel trailer. Follow the 5 second rule as mentioned in posts above. Your your homepage layout it should be like this:
Popular uploads, playlists, uploads. (Have the uploads vertical)
That's pretty much it. Good luck my friend.
Thank you for replying back I will surely do what you said

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Can you please review my channel. I seemingly don't get much views and I have so many innactive subs. Thanks for your help!

I gotta be honest. First impressions, meh. Not bad but at the same time a lot to work on.

Let's start with the positives:
  • You have a Well filled out about page. Just put a bit more about the channel itself and the videos you post.
  • Your channel art is pretty good. The profile pic however doesn't really brand you well, it doesn't have much meaning to it.
  • Descriptions are good. Maybe give a bit more info about the video, what's happening and all.
  • You have an intro. However I believe you need one that brands you better. Small channels tend to go with templates but they don't realise that you need to have your own branding and presence online.
Now for the areas of improvement:
  • Your channel trailer shouldn't just be you sitting in front of a camera talking about yourself and your channel. You can have a seperate About me video for that. Your channel trailer should be like a breif introduction and a montage of your best clips that showcase your channel. Get your viewers hooked with an explosive start then in the first 10 seconds tell them what type of channel you run and give them a reason to subscribe. For example this could be my first 10 seconds: Are you interested in (type of video) videos? Well then (channel name) is the place for you) Be sure to subscribe for new (type of videos) every week.
  • As for your normal videos, have the best moment of the video at the start to get your viewers hooked then have your intro then the main video. You need to get an outro to put at the end. For your outro, you can just use one from freedoms branding pack until youtubers new end screen feature rolls out to everyone.
  • Your thumbnails aren't so appealing, they just have too much going on in them and the text is hard to read. Keep them attractive yet simple and legible.
Good luck. Hope this helps you fix up your channel and grow.