YouTube CAN'T YOUTUBE DO THIS...

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
I had this idea where youtube can divide channels based on their subs into different categories....like 1-1000 subs, 1000-10000, etc. that way people can discover each other within the range too? Like with the recent up and coming tab, create one based on the subscribers?

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
That would be pretty cool but then certain tabs, such as 1-1000 subs might be more cluttered / have more creators than other tabs as such it would drastically reduce the chances of a particular channel being shown / mentioned.

Reactions: AFKPlays

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
That would be pretty cool but then certain tabs, such as 1-1000 subs might be more cluttered / have more creators than other tabs as such it would drastically reduce the chances of a particular channel being shown / mentioned.
Although it's much better than the current 'trending' tab and the 'up and coming' tab? Also it becomes much easier to meet fellow youtubers who are around the same subscriber state...:D[DOUBLEPOST=1485325163][/DOUBLEPOST]
Would be nice to see the really small channels that are going to hit it big. Might not be possible with the amount of under 1k channels though.
It would be much easier on the competition though, since there will be no big channels getting traffic under the tab, even if a viewer searches a game under that tab, it redirects them to someone with 1-1000 subs, but the search list will be sequenced according to how good the content is....so nobody misses much, the viewer gets fairly good gameplay, and the channel gets more traffic....

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Although it's much better than the current 'trending' tab and the 'up and coming' tab? Also it becomes much easier to meet fellow youtubers who are around the same subscriber state...:D[DOUBLEPOST=1485325163][/DOUBLEPOST]
It would be much easier on the competition though, since there will be no big channels getting traffic under the tab, even if a viewer searches a game under that tab, it redirects them to someone with 1-1000 subs, but the search list will be sequenced according to how good the content is....so nobody misses much, the viewer gets fairly good gameplay, and the channel gets more traffic....
Sounds like a good idea but then again, and I don't mean to sound pessimistic on this, how would you / YouTube determine if a channel / content is "good" - as you could have a great channel producing high quality content that is getting very low views, whereas you could have a higher channel producing mediocre content but getting loads of views.

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
Sounds like a good idea but then again, and I don't mean to sound pessimistic on this, how would you / YouTube determine if a channel / content is "good" - as you could have a great channel producing high quality content that is getting very low views, whereas you could have a higher channel producing mediocre content but getting loads of views.
Ah no problems, in fact I like to debate on these topics as I'm serious about youtube :) Well, average watch time is the key, not views in this criteria, as if you have subs, you also get preset amount of views and hence it's not a reliable source for guaranteeing 'good' content...Let's say he gets low amount of views, but then almost 100% average watch time for the video, his video will be boosted up the list, and when more people keep watching the video, the percentage will decrease...but he got the amount of attention he deserved....It's not necessarily bad for the higher channels either. He will have a few loyal subs who watch his video as a whole and that can get him high on the list, but nonetheless it's good for both :) is what I think. What do you think?

Reactions: zeke morgan

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
YouTube are starting to promote smaller channels such as their "On The Rise" section on the trending page. It features people with over 1,000 subs but under larger amounts.

It isn't quite what you mean, but is moving in that kind of direction.

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
YouTube are starting to promote smaller channels such as their "On The Rise" section on the trending page. It features people with over 1,000 subs but under larger amounts.

It isn't quite what you mean, but is moving in that kind of direction.
Ah yes, I'm aware of that...that's one way for discovery, but I was just thinking that if they do something like this, it'll become easy for the creators to see what's trending on their range of channels and also meet fellow creators.

dineandrhyme

Rising User
Jan 11, 2017
YouTube
Or they add on their homepage a upcoming YouTuber section! Like if they see that a channel is consistent, they feature them in the section along with other YouTubers. That way our channels are shown to everyone who goes on YouTube and that'll def help it grow

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
Or they add on their homepage a upcoming YouTuber section! Like if they see that a channel is consistent, they feature them in the section along with other YouTubers. That way our channels are shown to everyone who goes on YouTube and that'll def help it grow
Yes...I know about the update, but as I replied to Fourthwall games, I think this'll help in more ways :D

Reactions: dineandrhyme

Magikarp Films

Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jan 11, 2017
YouTube
like this idea alot but i think it should be like 1000-10,000 and so on.... the 1 to 1000 i can see this be really like spam. but like 100-1000 may be? i can see that not being so bad.

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
like this idea alot but i think it should be like 1000-10,000 and so on.... the 1 to 1000 i can see this be really like spam. but like 100-1000 may be? i can see that not being so bad.
Ah the spam is understandable...but if you don't have it and have the others, for those who are in the 1-1000 range will feel left out....it wouldn't help too much of course to have 1-1000 but it'll be better than whatever is now....

Magikarp Films

Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jan 11, 2017
YouTube
Ah the spam is understandable...but if you don't have it and have the others, for those who are in the 1-1000 range will feel left out....it wouldn't help too much of course to have 1-1000 but it'll be better than whatever is now....
yeah i get what you're saying but same time there is more to it then just subs. haha. or else i would not be in the 600 close to 700 now in less then 1/2 a year of being on youtube.