YouTube Demonetization. What Happens Next?

Setherson - Minecraft

Rising User
Jun 20, 2016
YouTube
So recently our wonderful YouTube platform has released any YouTuber with <1,000 subscribers and <4000 hours of viewtime in the last 30 days from monetization. They may have specific reasons for it that they haven't publicly released yet, but from my perspective, I see that they have completely disregarded the helping of any small YouTuber around. We will no longer be allowed custom thumbnails, be in recommended, etc. In 30 days time, if you don't meet the requirements, you will lose all partnerships with YouTube.
How will Freedom! deal with this and what happens next for us smaller YouTubers?

Also, what are your thoughts on the topic?
(If this is too touchy of a subject, I am sorry that I posted. I didn't know if I was in the right place or anything to post. SO sorry if I was wrong to post this).

Reactions: LW

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I forgot about the thumbnail thing..... well all we can do as freedom family members is help eachother with tips but even then I dont see how can fight this

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Had no idea they were also taking away your ability to make custom thumbnails and not allowing you to appear in the recommended section. Seems kind of messed up honestly.

It wouldn't have been too big of a deal if all they were doing was taking away monetization for those channels because then if they were persistent after the change they would stand out more as surely some will quit youtube because of this but this kind of change takes away their ability to stand out even. It's just messed up...

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
just checked it all out as far as we know you should still be able to ad thumbnails as long as youtube has checked that you arent a robot

Reactions: Vigilant

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
They may have specific reasons for it that they haven't publicly released yet, but from my perspective, I see that they have completely disregarded the helping of any small YouTuber around.
They have mentioned in the original blog post that the earnings by such small channels are negligible, the more they restrict advertisements the more advertisers will pay. Sounds reasonable to me.
no longer be allowed custom thumbnails, be in recommended
I've never heard of recommendations requiring the channel to be in the YPP, do you have a source on that? As to thumbnails some I've heard about them restricting them or something but as of today they still are available to everyone as long as the channel is verified.
How will Freedom! deal with this and what happens next for us smaller YouTube
Row has posted Freedom!'s standpoint on this here.

Setherson - Minecraft

Rising User
Jun 20, 2016
YouTube
They have mentioned in the original blog post that the earnings by such small channels are negligible, the more they restrict advertisements the more advertisers will pay. Sounds reasonable to me.

I've never heard of recommendations requiring the channel to be in the YPP, do you have a source on that? As to thumbnails some I've heard about them restricting them or something but as of today they still are available to everyone as long as the channel is verified.

Row has posted Freedom!'s standpoint on this here.
I saw the post yesterday of not allowing us to make custom thumbnails and such, but I lost it since sadly. But the main point is this:
YouTube has decided on their own terms to completely take away the rights of smaller YouTubers making us seem as if we don't matter much anymore. With this new big "step" they decided to take, we will no longer be able to stand out or find an audience that will further enjoy our content because most people will only see the big YouTubers everywhere. I feel like the main reason YouTube did this was for their own sake and I feel really disrespected. Most people think all of us Smaller YouTubers just do this for money, but it's more than that. I put my time and effort into making these videos and making a difference, but now we won't be able to be ourselves. We will basically just be pushed to the side while all the already known YouTubers get whatever they want. But I also realize this is a business and we can't always get what we want. Every argument has it's ups and downs.

Mike Newman

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 20, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
madmik32510
As long as you have verifed via mobile also you can still use custom Thumnails and post videos for longer than 15 mins. I think some other features do still apply amd that it is just monitzation that has been removed and the partner label too

Setherson - Minecraft

Rising User
Jun 20, 2016
YouTube
As long as you have verifed via mobile also you can still use custom Thumnails and post videos for longer than 15 mins. I think some other features do still apply amd that it is just monitzation that has been removed and the partner label too
To be basically "partnered" again, you must reach the 4000 hours of viewtime and 1k subs. But we will still lose basically ALL benefits of being a YouTube partner like thumbnails, recommended in feeds, and even scheduling videos. It's more than just us losing $2 a month and people don't realize that. And it's not just a simple we lose the partner logo. We are basically just on training wheels now and shifted to the bottom of the list.

Mike Newman

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 20, 2016
United Kingdom
YouTube
madmik32510
To be basically "partnered" again, you must reach the 4000 hours of viewtime and 1k subs. But we will still lose basically ALL benefits of being a YouTube partner like thumbnails, recommended in feeds, and even scheduling videos. It's more than just us losing $2 a month and people don't realize that. And it's not just a simple we lose the partner logo. We are basically just on training wheels now and shifted to the bottom of the list.
You wont loose the benifits i have been scrolling through twitter and they confirmed that some will remain as long as you have verified your account via mobile

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about this who is just a bit under the 1000 subscriber mark and he found this. Might be a good idea to look at it. Seems like you'll still keep all the good features you'll need to help yourself stand out so really you are only losing out on monetization.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72851#features_faq

Reactions: Howto101

Howto101

Mar 22, 2017
YouTube
we could all help each other out! this is a community and we could all sub to each others channels in order to help us get over the threshold :)

Reactions: jammychap

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
As mentioned above there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what people could loose out on with this new change. I do have to point out as long as your channel has been verified (not talking about the blue verification tick here) then you will still be able to upload custom thumbnails, and schedule videos. Likewise you will be able to upload longer videos as long as your channel is clean from strikes.

The only real things that will change are : -
- Monetisation of videos
- Superchat
- Paid content
- Sponsorships

Reactions: Howto101

Setherson - Minecraft

Rising User
Jun 20, 2016
YouTube
As mentioned above there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what people could loose out on with this new change. I do have to point out as long as your channel has been verified (not talking about the blue verification tick here) then you will still be able to upload custom thumbnails, and schedule videos. Likewise you will be able to upload longer videos as long as your channel is clean from strikes.

- Monetisation of videos
- Superchat
- Paid content
- Sponsorships
Yeah, I recently learned this from reading, but didn't see anything about sponsorships and Superchat. What happens with those for people who hit 1k?

Howto101

Mar 22, 2017
YouTube

- Monetisation of videos
- Superchat
- Paid content
- Sponsorships
great thanks for the info!!

Heaven Nicole

New User
Jan 27, 2018
USA
YouTube
It stinks! But just stay positive and keep trying! I've only got 175 subscribers.... and most likely won't make it to 1,000 but I've gotta just keep trying. :) Hang in there and the subscribers will come.