YouTube Why is the "Restore Classic YouTube" button gone?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
Okay, so I thought that maybe having the newer YouTube look had something to do with why I was able to add a custom thumbnail to my videos on Micrisoft Edge, when it wouldn't work on Chrome. But then I discovered that the button to go back to the classic look is gone.

Why did I have to get curious?! The Creator Studio, even with the new look, still looks exactly the same as with classic YouTube. So chances are the new look has nothing to do with why I can't upload thumbnails. So I guess I'm just stuck with this forever now.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
Do you mean you don't see this button or something else?:
View attachment 20140
No, there's nothing like that. When I activate the new YouTube design, the design of the Creator Studio stuff, like the Video Manager, Community, and the Dashboard doesn't change at all. But I'm talking about the fact the you can no longer switch back to the old look.

Attachments

• bandicam 2018-05-14 14-20-27-938.jpg
    bandicam 2018-05-14 14-20-27-938.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Seems like that button was indeed removed. You can still revert to the old layout for one page view by appending
Code:
&disable_polymer=true
or
Code:
?disable_polymer=true

to the URL. General rule of thumb: Use the & if there is already a question mark in the URL (e.g. the ?v= on a watch page).

I'll look into a way of getting this done with a cookie or script tomorrow.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
Seems like that button was indeed removed. You can still revert to the old layout for one page view by appending
Code:
&disable_polymer=true
or
Code:
?disable_polymer=true

to the URL. General rule of thumb: Use the & if there is already a question mark in the URL (e.g. the ?v= on a watch page).

I'll look into a way of getting this done with a cookie or script tomorrow.
That doesn't help at all, though.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
If you are using Chrome, Firefox or Safari you should try this: https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/82whs4/comment/dvddfem

I have been using that script since the button got removed and it has worked great so far.
Honestly, dude, after being stuck with the new look for the past couple of days, I've started getting used to it. The only few downsides I've suffered so far is that some of the Heartbeat features don't work anymore, and my channel trailer video keeps automatically playing every time I go to my channel. But besides those, I haven't actually had any other problems with it at all. I'm starting to think that I hopped aboard the hate train without really giving it a proper chance.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Honestly, dude, after being stuck with the new look for the past couple of days, I've started getting used to it. The only few downsides I've suffered so far is that some of the Heartbeat features don't work anymore, and my channel trailer video keeps automatically playing every time I go to my channel. But besides those, I haven't actually had any other problems with it at all. I'm starting to think that I hopped aboard the hate train without really giving it a proper chance.
Heartbeat is pretty much just broken in the new design. I'd be surprised if anything works