What's going on here??

SummedGalaxy

Rising User
Mar 16, 2016
YouTube
Hi guys,

So I've always enjoyed coming over to freedom for a chat with whoever is in the General chat. But recently, E.g. today - when i was chatting to people, i just had them offering to subscribe to me, and doing so. Whoopy for me you might say... - no!

Look, I have had to stress multiple times throughout the day to people that they shouldn't subscribe to me unless they actually find my content interesting. It worries me when this happens in the chat as this could result in worthless subscribers. I don't want be a channel with say 1.8k subscribers, but only receiving 200 views per video. I might be hugely over reacting and these people may be awesome additions to my channel. But it worries me.
My Question:
Can rules say about not just subbing to peoples channels for the sake of an extra subscriber be made clear... somewhere??

Cheers

OnlyUltimate

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 6, 2016
London
www.youtube.com
YouTube
OnlyUltimateYT
As long as it isn't sub4sub don't worry, let them subscribe to you. I remember PewDiePie talking on the h3h3 podcast about how the one thing he hates about his YouTube channel is his subscriber to viewer ratio. It's something you can't control so let it happen, as long as you aren't instigating it by doing sub4sub :)

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
It would be very difficult to prove that a new subscriber you got (be that on or off of the forums) were not watching your videos and as such could be classed as a worthless subscriber. I agree that it is a bit pointless people just subscribing to you for the sake of it, but as long as they are not asking for / trying to promote things that go against the forum rules (for example sub4sub or favour4favour) then there is very little that can be done about it.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
Unfortunately we can not dictate or put rules on people subscribing to others channels. It is their right to subscribe to any channels that they wish to. As above, if they then ask for you to subscribe back ,we can step in.

You will however find, as you grow, that you will inevitably get to the point where you are having 1.8k subs and 200 views per video. That is just the way it works ;)

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

Ferno the Knight

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 8, 2014
YouTube
FernotheKnight
I can see how that's annoying. I follow the same philosophy, typically ignoring any sub for sub requests and what not. I would assume that the best option there is to let them know that it's fine if they come check out your channel and subscribe if they want to, but make sure they understand that you will not be obligated to subscribe or check out their channel from this action. In the end it potentially benefits you and you don't stray from your philosophy on subscribers. Just because a few of your subscribers may be "worthless" to your channel doesn't make your channel any less great. We all got those oddballs sadly.