Tips & Tricks What is the "Community" tab?

Do you like the look and function of the new feature?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
U

User.123120

Hello all!
Youtube have been working on a secret project that was originally called "backstage", now we can see the project on a few big channels with a high number of followers, which you can see on PC AND mobile! .A few channels that were working on the project were IISuperwomanII , Thekloons, vlogbrothers and TheSamTsui.

if you click on any of there names you can see the Community tab is visible and they use them actively!

This is what Youtube said: "The community tab gives you a new, simple way to engage with your viewers and express yourself beyond video," according to YouTube.
7d7ff2b2b154a7ff34ed5530a5467806.png
Look familiar? Well it has the bare bones of all the social platforms that you most likely use today, for example twitter and Facebook, after the attempt to get social with google+ and which took an interesting turn with not alot of people liking the feature. Youtube have had another go at it and my my it looks good!
So what can you do?
So with your community tab you can post media,but the only form of media that i am aware of is gifs and images at the moment, and links to videos! You can do all the usual like commenting on the posts and liking and disliking a post! If you're subscribed to the channel, you can opt in to get notifications for Community posts to, how awesome is that!

8f6f5d8207d2b799c5f25b0cc97e8e0e.png

If you would like more information read Google's Youtube help on connecting with creators in the Community tab (Here)

What do you think? Do you like the new feature?
Let us know in the comments below! :D

Your comments so far!

Some users like LifelessDane have brought up the similarities between the community tab and the slowly dying "discussions" tab however there are some key differences such as community posts being more focused and moderated by creators rather than fan driven comments only on the channel. This is an attempt to make YouTube more social by mixing the oldschool "feed" tabs with the dying "community" tab to allow creators to post updates and gain feedback from fans on the platform. This also can cause notifications to go off on desktop and mobile similar to twitter verified users.

Ultimately success will depend on usage and even if it does go the way of obscurity early adopters stand to make large gains just like with any trend :) Comment by Crazylawrence

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Koala_Steamed

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
I think it could work, basically integration of the regular social media.
The only problem is I think it could die like the "Discussion" tab has for some YouTubers.

Ashley SilverDust

Community Team
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Feb 14, 2015
Maine, USA
YouTube
AshleySilver101
I can't wait for this to be available for everyone, and to see the creative paths that surely many will take with it. I see many good uses for a Community Tab; posting collabs you're in on other channels, sharing videos from your other channels if you have others, featuring friends' videos, re-promo for older/specific videos. Oh, and special occasions like holidays you can post special messages. Ooo and I just thought of this: if you're changing your channel art, you might be able to post options and have viewers help you decide! Many possibilities :)

GameOnBeast

Community Team
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Nov 21, 2015
Australia
YouTube
Wow, new things coming on to YouTube! Great to see. I'm sure this will be encouraging people to start creating content