Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 28, 2016
London
YouTube
Hello.

What should I get for my gaming/skit channel

I have a budget of just over £115

I am looking for the following items (Im not sure what else I need)

Game Recorder
Mic
Graphic designs

I have looked at this for a game recorder.
https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Captu...&qid=1477775192&sr=8-3&keywords=game+recorder

What do you guys use to record/stream Xbox one games ? I absolutely hate the DVR on the xbox one.

I understand this is a big question and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Sam

Last edited:

Hicksu

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2014
YouTube
Hi there! :D I see you want to start a channel or just upgrade your YouTubing equipment! :)
I think you should spend the most money on the mic and the game recorder as the Elgato you were referring to! Great option and will not fail you if there's nothing else that's failing! xD As for microphone, it depends on what you want to do! If you do skits then maybe you want a mic that can take up a lot of sound/can be used outdoors!

For Graphic design, what are you referring to? like thumbnails or banners/avatar pictures?

Trevor Bryant

New User
Mar 6, 2015
for a capture card i would recommend the elgato. for a good entry level mic the blue snowball is really good. the blue snowball ice is a little cheaper than the regular snowball but still is another good option.

Reactions: TB2567

Inspire GFX

Respected User
Freedom! Member
As said above OBS is top notch for what it does and its free! as for a Console Recorder you wont find something "Cheap". Dazzles are terrible IMO but are the cheaper end of Capture Cards. I'd recommend the Elgato personally.
As for a mic you can take a peek at the Blue Snowball its a great mic for cheap.
I do offer Graphic Designs. PM me if you'd like to discuss it :)

iPIxelDot

Freedom! Member
If you have Windows 10 on your PC, you can easily stream from the Xbox One to the PC and then use OBS to record it. That's what I do and it doesn't cost me anything extra. Here's how I did it (sorry the graphics are a bit old and it's from when I first started -- I need to update it):

By doing the above, you won't need a capture card UNLESS you plan on doing live streams of older console systems. If you want to, I reccommend the Elgato one and avoid the Roxio ones at all cost. Elgato has great CS where Roxio only gives you CS if you pay a monthly payment to them which is complete BS, especially when they barely update their firmware and software to boot. If you get one, you're looking to spend around $110 for a decent one. So I would put it off until later.

Mic -- I would get a Blue Snowball. I have thier Yeti version and it's awesome but rather large on my desk, lol. I wished I had gotten the Snowball one. I heard it's just as nice. The Snowball runs about $50 on amazon. If you want a different and a little more affordable setup, Amazon has these setups for about $35-45:

As for graphic stuff, I would work with a designer to get some good stuff. Make sure you look into their past projects to see if they can work with you on what you want. Some designers won't mind doing work for your channel if you promote them in some form or other. If you'd prefer to pay them outright, please keep in mind how much time some of these jobs can take and pay fairly. Be respectful is all I'm asking.

But if you'd prefer to learn to do your own graphics, I would start with something like Gimp (if you're on a tight budget) or Adobe Cloud (they have Photoshop CC for about $20/mo but you might be able to find a better deal if you're a student/faculty member or when they are doing their sales). I personally use Adobe Cloud, in particular Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom depending on the project. I won't lie... I haven't used Gimp in over a decade, so I don't know how much it's capable of doing and all of that jazz.

Good luck!