What do you think of Crypto?

Stefan Grant

Staff Member
Freedom! Member
Sep 2, 2015
At the moment I am holding it and will sell when my next power bill comes in (I pay power quarterly but get monthly reports) At current market value I would have enough to pay my entire power bill.

Obviously though DO NOT RELY ON BITCOIN INCOME TO PAY BILLS! If it suddenly dropped it wouldn't be a big deal for me as I can cover my power bill without but obviously its nice having an extra couple hundred dollars because mining is covering a bill that I can spend on something else.

Stef

KaragGaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
this whole crypto thing seems really good however im still very unsure about it based on a few things

1. overall impact on my pc in the long term
2. How many hows a day it requires to actually break even on power usage
3. is it really making you money in the long run?

Stefan Grant

Staff Member
Freedom! Member
Sep 2, 2015
1. overall impact on my pc in the long term

This entirely depends on the GPU and how long your mining per day. If your mining on it full time you should do some maintenance every month or two replacing thermal paste and making sure fans are clean. If your on a water cooled rig the maintenance is less as you do not have fans moving contently at max speed.

2. How many hows a day it requires to actually break even on power usage
This again massively varies on the card and the rest of your components and environment. If the rest of your components draw large power it will be harder to break even or profit, If your in a country with high electrical bills again it makes it hard, If your in a hot country your fans will work harder in your case. There is a lot of variables.

I basically noted my avrg power bill over 3 months not mining after this I mined for 2 months. I looked at the difference between those bills and how much I made from the coin and that gave me my answer as to profitability. Not a 100% accurate methodology but close enough.

3. is it really making you money in the long run?
Again it depends on the above factors if you bought a GPU specifically to mine it would take 4-8 months to pay the GPU off after power.

As I didn't buy the cards just to mine I do not look at the cost of the cards, as I would have bought them without mining anyway. I also tend to upgrade my render P.C. around every 3 years so I am not to worried about the card having issues before i would replace it. The Plex server I do not know when ill swap out the G card in as its not really necessary Plex does not need great hardware so that card may get overwhelmed or get to the point where its not worth mining on as new technology's come out because the profits from that older card decrease.

Sorry I cant give you 100% accurate answers but hope the above helps a little.

Cheers,
Stefan

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
I have it downloaded but I dont think its currently running on my for my type of PC, I have a Sony Vaio. I will send a report to the developers to see about it. I could be though cause im on a full partner yet
You don't need to be a full partner for using it, you just need to log in with your Freedom! Dashboard account.

What GPU does it have?

Stefan Grant

Staff Member
Freedom! Member
Sep 2, 2015
Crypto seems like a very risky investment at the moment. No idea where it might be going.

I would never advocate investment unless you are confident and can afford to loose the money you invest however mining if you have the hardware already is low-no risk if you cash out regularly.

Stefan

Reactions: Amberly Johnson

Amberly Johnson

Rising User
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
I would never advocate investment unless you are confident and can afford to loose the money you invest however mining if you have the hardware already is low-no risk if you cash out regularly.

Stefan
Alright. My hardware isn't really good at the moment. I don't think I would make much mining.

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube

Stefan
That is true Stefan. If you aren't willing to lose what you invest, don't invest. It can be risky. I have like $2,000 invested in Crypto-Currency at the moment, but I'm down by like $1,000 at the moment. I'm just letting it sit till it goes back up, so I can get out.

Amberly Johnson

Rising User
Mar 21, 2018
YouTube
That is true Stefan. If you aren't willing to lose what you invest, don't invest. It can be risky. I have like $2,000 invested in Crypto-Currency at the moment, but I'm down by like $1,000 at the moment. I'm just letting it sit till it goes back up, so I can get out.
That sucks Ryan! I hope prices go back up soon for you.

Reactions: RyanSellers