Forums The C.R.I.B needs an update.....

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Well I was going to make a video on how I personally feel the C.R.I.B needs some changes, but instead I felt like making a thread about it to save me some time.

The default sorting of all resources

I'm going to use the spigotmc resources page for an example of how some of the changes would look. But I feel that the default view of the C.R.I.B should be either "Last Update" or "Submission Date". This is so new resources & all older, less popular resources to get some exposure. At the moment the same resources are at the top and I doubt they will go down due to the "Ratings" ordering and how many people have just rated the official and staff created resources. While the spigot site has good reason for this it would still be a better option than the ratings as people would struggle to be seen, especially if someone adds 4-5 resources on the same day, cutting out anyone who made a resource before them from being seen on the "New Resources" sidebar.

C.R.I.B Sorting

So next is the general sorting. There NEEDS to be subcategories in the C.R.I.B. There are a lot of benefits to having this. If you look at the spigotmc example, you can see how beneficial this is. It just allow people to find what they are looking for without using the rather bad looking resource search. Firstly expanding the "Gameplay" category, it could be expanded to game genres or type. The same could be done with the music. As for the "Assets & Templates" it could have subcategories for VFX (as there is not much around yet), Thumbnail Templates, Banner Templates, Channel Revamps, Screenshots, Photos. You get the general idea I hope.

Moving resource to the correct place (Services section)

Just cause there are some resources that are clearly in the wrong place, The services section realistically has only 3 resources that are meant to be there. There are a bunch of music in there, as well as a GFX one too.

Fix the default Icons

This is just me been OTT but the default icons would look better if they were all the same style & didn't have transparency on them (which is what makes the blue backgrounds on them). I have made some myself, but you don't have to use them. Just something that looks the same in style and looks more professional.

Well that's all I have to comment on it for now, it would be nice to see something happen.​

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Changed to submission date, not sure why that was changed.

If you guys have ideas for subcategories let me know :)

Not too sure what you mean with the icons, do you have a screen shot of it?

Well, the current default icon & some people have uploaded for a resource have a blue background on the icon (Caused by transparency). A simple fix would be to only allow .jpg icons. I just also took a look into per category icons but it seems to be a thing you can't do with the addon from what I could find. I can't remember if it was possible or not, then again I haven't admin'd Xenforo for over a year now so I'm a bit rusty.

As for subcategory I suggest my ones in the OP post which would be a great start.​

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
The default sort order was set to most voted so that people who upload multiple at the same time or with quick succession. The secondary issue is that it puts things that haven't been seen by admins/mods yet at the top of the page.

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
The default sort order was set to most voted so that people who upload multiple at the same time or with quick succession. The secondary issue is that it puts things that haven't been seen by admins/mods yet at the top of the page.

If your concerned that new resources may be to be seen by a member of staff then just make it so all resources have to be moderated on creation. As for people spamming resources out, actually the only ones guilty of it are actually forum staff or community team members (lol).​

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
If your concerned that new resources may be to be seen by a member of staff then just make it so all resources have to be moderated on creation. As for people spamming resources out, actually the only ones guilty of it are actually forum staff or community team members (lol).​
:^)

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
"spamming things out" is sometimes a needed thing since it makes a lot more sense to have someone spend 30 minutes posting resources when they are done rather than scheduling them to go out over time. As for things being moderated before they go live we're getting to that point which is good and bad. it means things are popular enough that we're having to implement quality checks rather than spot checking them when we have time so that's neat!!

Another concern is with new (and possibly lesser quality) resources potentially giving a bad first impression to random passers by BUT that shouldn't keep us from making things better. If I had my way I'd work on a system to balance all of this similar to the way YT handles search so that things started at the top and got bumped down over time if interaction was bad. Sadly we only have the default sort mechanisms to work by so a compromise might be by splitting the month 50/50 so that a mod/admin flips the switch on the 1st and 15th of each month so that we get the best of both worlds and even get to promote the switch saying things like:

"Tomorrow CRIB gets a new front page, be sure to check out whats there because your votes count!" things like that :)

What do you think?

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
"spamming things out" is sometimes a needed thing since it makes a lot more sense to have someone spend 30 minutes posting resources when they are done rather than scheduling them to go out over time. As for things being moderated before they go live we're getting to that point which is good and bad. it means things are popular enough that we're having to implement quality checks rather than spot checking them when we have time so that's neat!!

Another concern is with new (and possibly lesser quality) resources potentially giving a bad first impression to random passers by BUT that shouldn't keep us from making things better. If I had my way I'd work on a system to balance all of this similar to the way YT handles search so that things started at the top and got bumped down over time if interaction was bad. Sadly we only have the default sort mechanisms to work by so a compromise might be by splitting the month 50/50 so that a mod/admin flips the switch on the 1st and 15th of each month so that we get the best of both worlds and even get to promote the switch saying things like:

"Tomorrow CRIB gets a new front page, be sure to check out whats there because your votes count!" things like that :)

What do you think?

True, I get why it the spamming happens when you have a lot to post. As for switching the page every 2 weeks. I'm assuming that between ratings and submission date? Well I still feel ratings is a bad sorting order for a front page. Also if someone posted a new resource during the ratings period it wouldn't bee seen for a while (apart from us who look at the C.R.I.B regularly). I personally see the moderation on creation to be the best fix for it. Either that for do some coding work to have both show up, ratings first with like 5-8 resources listed followed by a separate box with the 5-8 newest resources. That would also work reasonably.​