YouTube Super Chat! YouTube's latest feature!

U

User.123120

Hello, all!

Wow, what a game changer Youtube have announced. We're taking the time out to write you this article to get you the Freedom family up to date and tell you everything you need to know!

So what is Super Chat
Super Chat is the brand new feature that Youtube have announced a few days ago, with this feature you will be able to earn even more, Super Chat gives fans and creators a new way to connect with one another during live streams. It appears that this is replacing Fan Funding and to make it better our partners MIGHT have access to it!! we're still looking into the specifics but a general knowledge of the product helps everyone!

What you need to know.
When it's enabled, it's available for live streams, on YouTube and YouTube Gaming. It's available in 21 creator countries and 41 viewer countries!

The creator has to be in the following countries to enable "Super Chat" - Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Uganda, UK, USA, Germany.

Wow, that looks fancy!
So when you donate, the chat will fill with the donation notification with these you can create custom messages for the streamer to see! They come in a variety of different colors depending on how much you donate!

So how does the process of donating work?
Well, we can show you this with a picture right now! [below]

1. Select the dollar button
2. Select SEND A SUPER CHAT
3. Adjust money value, add public message, select BUY AND SEND
4. Super Chat message is sent into the chat feed
5. Super Chat icon is pinned in the chat feed for a limited time

Yes! it's that easy! :D

How does it look on the creator's side?
So for the creator/streamer you get "Live management" which is a real-time feed of Super Chats in the live dashboard!

You also get "Post-live management" which in other words mean all Super Chats within the last 30 days displayed in Creator Studio!

Great, I WANT IT NOW! What are the requirements?
Super Chat requirements
  1. Your channel is enabled for live streaming
  2. Your channel is monetized
  3. Your channel has >1,000 subscribers
  4. You are over 18
  5. You are located in Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Uganda, UK, USA, Germany.
I meet the requirements! How do you enable it?
So to enable it, all you have to do is Visit youtube.com/features , Under Super Chat select ENABLE, Accept Commerce Product Addendum and now the dollar icon will display on all of your live streams!

What do you guys think? Tell us below!
All the best, ItsJustJord!

Last edited by a moderator:

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
This is a great feature as an idea, just let me add my thoughts here:

Many people have been complaining about it making a chat harder to moderate because anyone is able to throw messages that stay sticky into a chat for everyone to see and there are some channels this would turn out terribly on. Also there's been enough stuff happening in Twitch TTS donations that I think these will really need refining to do before rolling out publicly.

I'm also not really sure whether people would actually ever pay for these, as the prizes are a joke. On some sites (Twitch, Beam, ...) you can get a full CHANNEL subscription highlighting ALL your messages for a month at the same prize (maybe with a little less action but you get the point).

As YT streaming really dove into an overpopulated market (every larger company has a streaming platform at this point) YTG or the YouTube streams never really seemed to turn out well in general and I think sites like Twitch will keep people on them just because you just get more value off of a subscription.

Even though only time will tell I don't believe this will be an income source as reliable as other streaming platforms, even though it may have some positives. But that's just my opinion. Now you go ahead, reply and tell me what you think of this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 137653

Hello, all!

Wow, what a game changer Youtube have announced. We're taking the time out to write you this article to get you the Freedom family up to date and tell you everything you need to know!

So what is Super Chat
Super Chat is the brand new feature that Youtube have announced a few days ago, with this feature you will be able to earn even more, Super Chat gives fans and creators a new way to connect with one another during live streams. It appears that this is replacing Fan Funding and to make it better our partners MIGHT have access to it!! we're still looking into the specifics but a general knowledge of the product helps everyone!

What you need to know.
When it's enabled, it's available for live streams, on YouTube and YouTube Gaming. It's available in 21 creator countries and 41 viewer countries!

The creator has to be in the following countries to enable "Super Chat" - Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Uganda, UK, USA, Germany.

Wow, that looks fancy!
So when you donate, the chat will fill with the donation notification with these you can create custom messages for the streamer to see! They come in a variety of different colors depending on how much you donate!

So how does the process of donating work?
Well, we can show you this with a picture right now! [below]

1. Select the dollar button
2. Select SEND A SUPER CHAT
3. Adjust money value, add public message, select BUY AND SEND
4. Super Chat message is sent into the chat feed
5. Super Chat icon is pinned in the chat feed for a limited time

Yes! it's that easy! :D

How does it look on the creator's side?
So for the creator/streamer you get "Live management" which is a real-time feed of Super Chats in the live dashboard!

You also get "Post-live management" which in other words mean all Super Chats within the last 30 days displayed in Creator Studio!

Great, I WANT IT NOW! What are the requirements?
Super Chat requirements
  1. Your channel is enabled for live streaming
  2. Your channel is monetized
  3. Your channel has >1,000 subscribers
  4. You are over 18
  5. You are located in Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Uganda, UK, USA, Germany.
I meet the requirements! How do you enable it?
So to enable it, all you have to do is Visit youtube.com/features , Under Super Chat select ENABLE, Accept Commerce Product Addendum and now the dollar icon will display on all of your live streams!

What do you guys think? Tell us below!
All the best, ItsJustJord!
Ughhhhhhh..... Notice how YouTube takes a 20% cut of your earnings there. It's just another way to get fans to have to throw money at creators AND YouTube to get noticed and feel special. It is, in my opinion, a cheap tactic.

Reactions: Original Gamesters

Original Gamesters

Freedom! Member
Aug 13, 2016
Canada
www.ogtv.ca
YouTube
Ogtv1up
This is a great feature as an idea, just let me add my thoughts here:

Many people have been complaining about it making a chat harder to moderate because anyone is able to throw messages that stay sticky into a chat for everyone to see and there are some channels this would turn out terribly on. Also there's been enough stuff happening in Twitch TTS donations that I think these will really need refining to do before rolling out publicly.

I'm also not really sure whether people would actually ever pay for these, as the prizes are a joke. On some sites (Twitch, Beam, ...) you can get a full CHANNEL subscription highlighting ALL your messages for a month (maybe with a little less action but you get the point).

As YT streaming really dove into an overpopulated market (every larger company has a streaming platform at this point) YTG or the YouTube streams never really seemed to turn out well in general and I think sites like Twitch will keep people on them just because you just get more value off of a subscription.

Even though only time will tell I don't believe this will be an income source as reliable as other streaming platforms, even though it may have some positives. But that's just my opinion. Now you go ahead, reply and tell me what you think of this.

These were more or less my thoughts about this change. I don't really agree about YouTube being late to the party yet, though, because YouTube was already so big. Anybody who decides to stream to YouTube already has an audience. While we are a very, very small channel, our YouTube streams have performed well enough. Though we have only just begun streaming to Twitch, simultaneously with YouTube, we get a little more viewership on YouTube. I am in favor of this move simply because we now have an opportuniy to gain more revenue for our streams. Well, not yet because we are to small but growth is healthy. Up until now, 3rd world countries like Canada had no opportunities besides Ad-Sense to earn revenue at YouTube. It may become moot because it looks like Twitch may become our main revenue generator at this point. Just gotta add the About Us and Tip Jar panels and we'll see what happens. Hopefully, at least Mom will get the ball rolling there.

Ashley SilverDust

Community Team
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Feb 14, 2015
Maine, USA
YouTube
AshleySilver101
First of all, I'd like to say excellent job on this post @itsjustjord because you did really great to show lots of information here. I feel like I learned more here about Super Chat than I did on YouTube's Official Blog. Haha, how did you do that? :p Thanks for spreading the word, I'm looking forward to seeing how much this feature will benefit creators and inspire more live streaming. There will be pros and cons of course, but I believe this is a good thing.

ClerraBellis

Freedom! Member
Jan 6, 2017
clerrabellis.deviantart.com
YouTube
That's pretty interesting! It seems like a lot of social media sites are middlemanning transactions between the users. This is so weird, but definitely a great way for smaller channels to grow financially to be able to produce better content. Super cool!

Reactions: The Rubin

scorpionvongaming

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Aug 8, 2016
Brisbane Australia
YouTube
I meet the requirements.
  1. Your channel is enabled for live streaming (yes)
  2. Your channel is monetized (yes)
  3. Your channel has >1,000 subscribers (3896)
  4. You are over 18 (34 years old)
  5. I`m from Australia what is in the OP list of country's
I don`t have or see this option on channel features page everything else is green but no "Super Chat"
is this available now or coming soon.

Last edited: