YouTube RE: Important updates to the YouTube Partner Program

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
I see SO many people complaining that their channel is now dead, and that they won't be making content anymore. Let's be honest. If this truly ends your channels. Then you were doing Youtube for the wrong reasons. Many of you, including myself were making peanuts, and in all honesty your focus should be your viewers and community. I don't care about how much money I make as long as I can crack a smile on someones face each day. That's my focus. So in all honesty think to yourselves why you are so upset over this and why you're ending your channel, cause for many I'm pretty sure they believe the focus is on them and no one else.

Sorry if this message sounded rude, I don't mean it to be. But the realization that Youtube is not a quick-money grab needs to be clarified.
Just like any company, organization, actor or anything that's famous, work needs to be put into it.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
I see SO many people complaining that their channel is now dead, and that they won't be making content anymore. Let's be honest. If this truly ends your channels. Then you were doing Youtube for the wrong reasons. Many of you, including myself were making peanuts, and in all honesty your focus should be your viewers and community. I don't care about how much money I make as long as I can crack a smile on someones face each day. That's my focus. So in all honesty think to yourselves why you are so upset over this and why you're ending your channel, cause for many I'm pretty sure they believe the focus is on them and no one else.

Sorry if this message sounded rude, I don't mean it to be. But the realization that Youtube is not a quick-money grab needs to be clarified.
Just like any company, organization, actor or anything that's famous, work needs to be put into it.

Very true :), I feel the same in a way. The main way people are unhappy is because of losing features they are using currently in the YPP (like freedom assets or similar) & the fact that this is somewhat a response to the latest big youtuber mistake and it just feels like they don't care at all for new channels in a way.​

TEkSTA

New User
Jan 17, 2018
YouTube
I'm mainly doing YouTube as a hobby, i aim for a video each weekend, not as a chore but as a goal to upload something funny and entertaining, mainly for my friends to watch but on occasion i get random visitors to my channel. It also sharpens up my video editing skills as well :)

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
Very true :), I feel the same in a way. The main way people are unhappy is because of losing features they are using currently in the YPP (like freedom assets or similar) & the fact that this is somewhat a response to the latest big youtuber mistake and it just feels like they don't care at all for new channels in a way.​
And don't get me wrong, I am upset about that myself. But there's a work around for everything. And that shouldn't be the end of your channel. If there's passion in what you do, there's always a way to overcome it

Reactions: iJim

Carlos de Aragón

Rising User
Jan 27, 2017
seers.us
YouTube
Not cool, YT. I'll keep working towards the new threshold, my channel is an inheritance I'm leaving for everybody, as I have no one to pass on this teachings to. As long as YT doesn't delete my channel I'm good. :)

iJim

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 31, 2016
UK
www.youtube.com
YouTube
iJimUK
To be totally honest I like the new update but then making money from Youtube was never a priority for me, it would be a bonus if I did but not my sole reason for making videos and if I get kicked from Freedom because of the update then so be it. I will still make videos and upload them to YouTube

Reactions: Mikes GameWorld

BOBTHEKNOB

New User
Jan 17, 2018
YouTube
This is bad for small creators like us tbh but at least we are not losing the features we would lose like custom thumbnails etc.

Eternal Nepatuna

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 23, 2016
East Coast US
YouTube
EternalNepatuna
Well in your case, and likewise with other content creators who don't fulfil the new requirements, it means that you would loose access to monetisation of content when the 30 day notice is up, you may also be removed from the network, due to these new rules which means you will also loose access to the tools provided by Freedom. However as it currently stands Freedom is looking into things and seeing if they would be able to still offer these tools etc, and when we know we shall announce things
So the network is not going to do anything for those of us who as far as I know never had strikes, never had issues with youtube as a whole., never caused issues within the network or youtube and will not be able to stay despite all of this? At the very least the network should reconsider on a case by case basis and for those who never did anything against the TOS for both services imo. But my two sense will not matter at all to the people in charge so excuse my passive aggressive statement. I know I shouldn't complain but there is a limit to how much longtime YT partners (even small ones like me who only gained some traction in the last 2 years) can take. I could care less about the monetary aspect of youtube since I make money outside of it. I treat my channel like a hobby and try to stay consistent with what I like which is why you don't see me following every trend even if it would net me views and subs.

Last edited:

Jase Wolf

New User
Jan 17, 2018
YouTube
I never did my channel for the money but the past few years the amount I earned from YouTube at least paid for my domain registrations. Not that I can't without what I make from YouTube.

The only reason partnership with MCNs interested me was for the free access to Epidemic Sound, which I base my whole channel 99% around. Amazing quality music that isn't used again and again all over the place (sadly like NCS which I do love), so the completed videos always feel new, unique, and not some rehashed content.

I originally thought I would need to pay corporate licensing if I didn't have a partnership, but seeing the £10 per month subscription option, I'm definitely more than happy to pay that.

So as a YouTuber still using Epidemic Sound in my videos, just creating videos for enjoyment that is connected to my photography/filming/timelapse hobbies, I can care less really.

Rahul Plays

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2018
YouTube
lamRahul
Hello my channel is at 3687 hours of watch time I just need a few more hours and I'll probably still be partnered. If anyone can take the time and check my videos will be appreciated. Thanks

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
So the network is not going to do anything for those of us who as far as I know never had strikes, never had issues with youtube as a whole., never caused issues within the network or youtube and will not be able to stay despite all of this? At the very least the network should reconsider on a case by case basis and for those who never did anything against the TOS for both services imo. But my two sense will not matter at all to the people in charge so excuse my passive aggressive statement. I know I shouldn't complain but there is a limit to how much longtime YT partners (even small ones like me who only gained some traction in the last 2 years) can take. I could care less about the monetary aspect of youtube since I make money outside of it. I treat my channel like a hobby and try to stay consistent with what I like which is why you don't see me following every trend even if it would net me views and subs.
Unfortunately the networks might not be able to do anything about it, as they won't be able to keep people in a partnership who don't meet the criteria. I know it isn't the best news but they are looking at trying to keep resources available to people who were partnered as well as non-partners as they don't want to abandon people as we are all family to them. It would be nice if YT allows them to keep people in partnerships who were in it before the rule changes (just like they did for the 10K views previously) but we shall have to wait and see

Takedownman

New User
Freedom! Member
Okso some of you are pretty close to getting the hours needed to be watched, why not do livestreams with your fans? I mean those can go for hours and actually build watch time fairly quickly. JS saying it is an easy way to get that time up!

Mikes GameWorld

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 17, 2016
The Netherlands
YouTube
MikesGameworld
To be totally honest I like the new update but then making money from Youtube was never a priority for me, it would be a bonus if I did but not my sole reason for making videos and if I get kicked from Freedom because of the update then so be it. I will still make videos and upload them to YouTube

For me the same.
I love making video's and uploading them to YT, But losing the privileges from Freedom! and losing the Freedom! family is upsetting.

Camomano99

New User
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2015
USA
YouTube
The money wasn't the main part of partnerships for me, the main part was the benefits. I've been using epidemic sound in videos and its amazing but it looks like I wont be able to use it anymore. So any ideas on what happens to past videos uploaded with epidemic sounds content after this?

Reactions: Fluffy

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
The money wasn't the main part of partnerships for me, the main part was the benefits. I've been using epidemic sound in videos and its amazing but it looks like I wont be able to use it anymore. So any ideas on what happens to past videos uploaded with epidemic sounds content after this?
When your channel is unlinked from Freedom! videos uploaded before it will stay the same. You can't use Epidemic Sound afterwards but the videos will stay there without issues (and not be claimed retroactively, if they are contact support)

Kamilla Chales

New User
Jan 18, 2018
YouTube
I am very sad with this new regulation, I am working hard every day. I would appreciate if you could help small channels like mine to reach where we all dream.
Thank you