Movie Sequels, Why aren't they better?

Fredman

Well-Known User
Nov 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
YouTube
Alright, I thought about this for a while. and I come to the conclusion that a sequel for a movie is overall worse than the first movie. Now this isn't all the time (Terminator 2, Aliens and Captain America Winter Soldier I think are better than their originals) but well you think about it. Sequels should be better because they have a backbone from the first so it should make it easy to make it better. However, it seems difficult to make it better. why is that??
And also what movie sequels doe you think were better?

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Could just simply be that the views of the sequel have over hyped it and as such they don't reach our full expectations.

Reactions: Fredman

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Sadly quite a few are bad because if the companies behind them wanting a safe investment. Kingsmen is a good example if I recall correctly.

Pretty much just a monry grab in several cases.​

Reactions: Fredman

Thelazysideoflife

Respected User
Apr 20, 2018
YouTube
I agree with you. The thing is, in my opinion, when they decide to make a sequel it's because the first movie had a big success and cashed a lot. So that's why many times they want to make a second movie but they tend to do it to commercial to appeal even more people

Usually since an expectation has been set from the first film, and usually filmmakers or whatever add that into their mindset. That usually results in something that already has restraints on it as opposed to the previous work that had a different pre-text that didn't rely on an established mindset.

Nick Garrett

New User
Aug 25, 2018
YouTube
A lot of times it comes down to cashing in on success but there are still a lot of sequels that aren't as good as the original but are still worthy films on their own, stuff like Texas Chainsaw 2 and and Hellbound: Hellraiser 2.