Maximize Tags

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I always wonder wether using too many tags is not good... or wether it has any effect at all.

Like does focusing on fewer tags help, or is it best to fill you tags with as many good tags as you can with the amount of room we get...

Ive been messing around with tags for years and I really cant tell... youtube is so random in how it performs...

C

Corpfox

I'd always use the maximum # of tags cause YouTube always tells me I'm maxed out. (facepalm)

Gajanan Palav

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 19, 2016
Mumbai, India
goo.gl
YouTube
pg_top10
Maximum tags are better.

Try using Long Tail Tags for specific searches - targeted to specific audience.
Use Short Tail Tags for general searches - mass public.

Use mixture of both for your video to be listed in various mix-match combinations.

Reactions: Dark Xeno

gunsage

Freedom! Member
I'm actually glad someone brought this up. It's one of those "not sure and afraid to ask" scenarios for me. What I had been doing is finding similar videos that got super popular and seeing what tags they used. I also got the Heartbeat app and have started to use that to get good ideas for tags as well. However, I agree...I think it's best to have as many tags as possible, provided they are all relevant to the video at hand. If you tag in "trump vs hilary" but the video is about gaming and nothing at all to do with politics, clearly that's not going to work so well... :p

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
I'm actually glad someone brought this up. It's one of those "not sure and afraid to ask" scenarios for me. What I had been doing is finding similar videos that got super popular and seeing what tags they used. I also got the Heartbeat app and have started to use that to get good ideas for tags as well. However, I agree...I think it's best to have as many tags as possible, provided they are all relevant to the video at hand. If you tag in "trump vs hilary" but the video is about gaming and nothing at all to do with politics, clearly that's not going to work so well... :p

There is a rule with YouTube and the tagging system, all metadata (Titles, descriptions, tags etc..) must be relevant to the video, if it is not, they have all rights to remove your video and strike you.

My view: Fill your tags as much as possible, making sure you are not using misleading information. Just think of SEO, Search Engine Optimization - More tags, the more criteria your video can be searched with on YouTube.

This will be added to the Ultimate Guide in the Resources and Tips section shortly.
EDIT: https://freedom.community.tm/threads/how-to-properly-tag-your-videos.214372/

Reactions: gunsage

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
More tags the better! Best thing is also to use compound tags (multiple words in a tag), these words should be a search term that someone may write in the search bar.

Here is an example from one of my videos on what tags show up higher in search

Also tags can be used to link videos together, you should always have your channel name and series in your tags as this will increase the chance that your other videos will show up as suggested.

Reactions: gunsage

FunwJoan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2016
YouTube
Someone knows how the tags work on youtube ?, I understand that the first 5 are to make the search more efficient, is it? or there is some other key factor ?, I'm interested to know

Sorry for my english i'm no too good

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Well YouTube does keep the algorithms they use to determine search results pretty close the their chest. Pretty much as long as your using tags that are helpful and relevant to the video and aren't trying to manipulate these searches by including irelavant tags then it isn't anything to worry about. One useful tool that you could use if RapidTags, which you can use to find and copy tags for your videos in a matter of seconds.

FunwJoan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2016
YouTube
Well YouTube does keep the algorithms they use to determine search results pretty close the their chest. Pretty much as long as your using tags that are helpful and relevant to the video and aren't trying to manipulate these searches by including irelavant tags then it isn't anything to worry about. One useful tool that you could use if RapidTags, which you can use to find and copy tags for your videos in a matter of seconds.
Oh! Thank you, Zeke!