YouTube Look at those analytics! VR ANALYTICS

U

User.123120

Hey, everyone!

So, I have some very interesting news for you today regarding Youtube and VR and believe me, I am amazed! So a while back Google released Google Cardboard on June 25, 2014 which showed off the features of a "360 Video", what is a "360 video" well the default answer for that would be "360-degree videos, also known as immersive videos or spherical videos, video recordings where a view in every direction is recorded at the same time, shot using an omnidirectional camera or a collection of cameras. During playback, the viewer has control of the viewing direction like a panorama."

Pearl Heatmap.png

Google have a lot of VR projects in the coming years that we will see, and one of their recent creations is
"Hot and Cold: Heatmaps in VR" and as the title suggests that's what we are going to see. Imagine have the chance and the ability to see and understand where you're viewers are looking in VR? So as nice of Youtube are, they decided to conduct their own reports with the new software and they got some interesting feedback and some understanding, so if you want to know a bit more for when you plan your next VR video take a look at what Youtube found:

• Focus on what’s in front of you: The defining feature of a 360-degree video is that it allows you to freely look around in any direction, but surprisingly, people spent 75% of their time within the front 90 degrees of a video. So don’t forget to spend significant time on what’s in front of the viewer.
  • Get their attention: While a lot of time is spent focusing on what’s in front, for many of the most popular VR videos, people viewed more of the full 360-degree space with almost 20% of views actually being behind them. The more engaging the full scene is, the more likely viewers will want to explore the full 360-degree view. Try using markers and animations to draw attention to different parts of the scene.
  • Keep different experiences in mind: The context in which people are viewing VR videos matters too. Some might be watching on a mobile and portable Cardboard, while others are watching on a desktop computer. For instance, we found viewers usually need a couple seconds to get situated in Cardboard, which isn’t needed for other devices. So make sure to give your viewers a few seconds before jumping into the action.

Youtube have also announced a VR Creation Labs. Applications are open starting today,
But what is it and how can it help? The VR Creator Lab begins with a three-day “boot camp” August 7-9, 2017 at YouTube Space LA in Playa Vista, CA. These days will be chock full of workshops, coaching, pre-production, and social activities. Take your VR video creation to the next level. YouTube is taking applications for a 3-month learning and production intensive for VR creators. Participants will receive advanced education from leading VR instructors, 1:1 mentoring, and $30K - $40K in funding toward the production of their dream projects.Here is the link to apply if you still want to!

What's relly exciting is that we are still in early days of VR so this awesome way to see what others are seeing in your videos! It's great for you and advertisers! Who knows what the VR future can hold!

What do you guys and gals think, let me know in the comments below!
All the best, ItsJustJord

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
I'm still not sure what to think of most VR videos. Mostly everything just happens in one place and you don't really need VR for it. The only VR video I saw and thought "Well that makes sense to be in VR" was YouTube's April Fools SnoopaVision thing. If someone here is planning on making a VR video, please do some stuff that makes it worth being VR honestly.