SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
Hello,

I'm going to make this as short as possible, and, I have spoke out about this quite bit, and, matter of fact quite aggressively, that the community keeps ignoring the fact that the general chat is mean for English users, and I find it weird that it's not enforced more, there is a solution to it, but I am not 100% sure but I'll tell you,

How I think the issue should be resolved; Once someone speaks another language like Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, Deutsch and/or any of the other languages, they should be moved instantly those rooms that they're speaking of, and, in my opinion that if it's in the rules of self that "3. Please only use the language the lobby you're in was built for." then I think it should be enforced more, I'm actually tired of explaining the same stuff over, over and over again to new comers, people who have been in this community for awhile and people who have a Tag such as Partners, partners especially should understand that general means general not some Spanish General where they can generally speak Spanish, it actually and quite literally annoys me that when I come to forum, and, see chat to be filled with Francis language, Spanish or whatever language that wasn't meant for General

Reactions: Johannes89

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
There are rooms specifically for said language, why are we enforced to read the language when they can make it hold clearer for us as for those who speak English and understand no other language

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Wew.

So let me preface this by saying I do agree with it being an issue though I want to say a few more things.
1) There's no 100% accurate language detection.
There would be a couple false positives to this as you can't really make out every language with programs currently available.
2) I agree there's an issue though I believe education would go over forced movement.
Now I'm not saying giving people a direction to the Spanish chatroom when they speak Spanish is bad though I don't think moving people automatically for any detected Spanish word is a bit much. Not saying I want another pop-up that explains even more about the chat. We already have thousands of those.
3) If someone sees a busy room and wants to ask a question in their language, let them.

My solution would be -drumroll- to show the Spanish chatroom on the Spanish forums and the English one on the main forum. Now I'm not sure if that's how it already works but that would solve a bit. Also make a tiny pop-up somewhere directing people to their best forum for their language if they have a different browser language.

Reactions: Johannes89

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
Wew.

So let me preface this by saying I do agree with it being an issue though I want to say a few more things.
1) There's no 100% accurate language detection.
There would be a couple false positives to this as you can't really make out every language with programs currently available.
2) I agree there's an issue though I believe education would go over forced movement.
Now I'm not saying giving people a direction to the Spanish chatroom when they speak Spanish is bad though I don't think moving people automatically for any detected Spanish word is a bit much. Not saying I want another pop-up that explains even more about the chat. We already have thousands of those.
3) If someone sees a busy room and wants to ask a question in their language, let them.

My solution would be -drumroll- to show the Spanish chatroom on the Spanish forums and the English one on the main forum. Now I'm not sure if that's how it already works but that would solve a bit. Also make a tiny pop-up somewhere directing people to their best forum for their language if they have a different browser language.

Most of what you said I do agree, but what I forgot to add is that the bot shouldn't move someone based a word, they should move someone based on the sentence that the forum user is trying to make in the general chat, when they make a sentence whatever it is short/long, they get moved, but before the auto-move they get a message when it comes to "Hey, this is general chat, in this chat we want users from the forum use the language like English, so others would understand your request/issue, so please" or something like that.

I'm glad that the thread is getting more attention when it comes to this, I think many of you have seen when it comes to me saying something to someone who uses Spanish and/or any other language... If you need help, ask it in English even if it's broken.

Thank you all <3

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Most of what you said I do agree, but what I forgot to add is that the bot shouldn't move someone based a word, they should move someone based on the sentence that the forum user is trying to make in the general chat, when they make a sentence whatever it is short/long, they get moved, but before the auto-move they get a message when it comes to "Hey, this is general chat, in this chat we want users from the forum use the language like English, so others would understand your request/issue, so please" or something like that.
I mean if there's a way to implement that reliably I'd be up for it though it isn't that easy I think. Also I stand by the opinion that blocking the message is wrong.
If you need help, ask it in English even if it's broken.
I also disagree there. If we keep telling people in chat to translate their stuff they will flow over to support. Also sometimes broken English is way worse than Google Translator English so that would be a pain too. Mostly when I see someone asking something in Spanish (mostly it is Spanish, though this applies to all languages) I just paste it into Google Translator. While Google Translate will not give you a complete sentence and will mess up on some things you can (in 99% of cases) make out what they mean. And let's be real here, copy-pasting the sentence into Google Translator isn't THAT time consuming.