YouTube It's finally here! Youtube Dark Mode for all!

Have you changed? V2

• Yes

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
U

User.123120

Hello, all!
So if we all remember, it's fine if you don't I even struggled.
If you would like to see a reminder of what I'm referencing click this link, no not that link this link.

I posted a thread back on April 15th, regarding a workaround to turning on the Youtube dark mode.

Well, the awesome train doesn't stop now! Youtube has now made it publicly available to all users with just a click of a button! To be able to use YouTube’s Material Design preview, head to YouTube.com/new. If you find that it's just not your type of cookie, you can also revert back by hitting “Restore class YouTube” under your accounts menu.

It's only taken them a year! It's also said that only one to three percent of users got Material Design during the testing period, but bare in mind that all the under the hood works still need work, depending on the demand for the new design it will affect their workflow!

So this is what Youtube is saying about the new design:

Clean design
The content and creators that you love shine with a clean, simple design.

Dark Theme
Activate dark theme from the new account menu to cut down on glare and take in the true colors of the videos that you watch.

Built for the future
We've been working on a totally new site design that's built on a new faster framework. That means we can build new features faster, such as dark theme and more to come.

baccec0421b8db8952d7c6a2aed91551.png

Noice! But there is one main thing to note on this topic, there is no overhaul on the actual video player, it's all just for the looks, so if you were looking forward to less video buffer and less stutter, sorry but at least the sidebar looks pretty now!

So what do you guys and gals think? Will you be changing?

Reactions: Ashley SilverDust

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Well I've never liked the change place in by google to Youtube. I would personally like to see a change back to the times when your channel was a lot mroe customisable, you could choose what was on it & move things around to the way you liked as well as a Background for the channel which really looked amazing and made the page yours. These days its just a small banner, logo and some basic homepage changes otherwise that's pretty much it. Back when YouTube showed off the one design I didn't change till they forced me as it just limited you. This new design seems to do nothing to give some of that back, to me it just spreads things out a bit more so I have to scroll even more. Dark mode is a nice feature to be added for those who use it I guess that's an upside to this. I just wish they would give people the option to make it more unique. like the option to have custom tabs with the option to put html elements in it, a channel background (seen with the heartbeat) would be a great addition if it were official. You get the idea :)

Reactions: User.123120

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Well I've never liked the change place in by google to Youtube. I would personally like to see a change back to the times when your channel was a lot mroe customisable, you could choose what was on it & move things around to the way you liked as well as a Background for the channel which really looked amazing and made the page yours. These days its just a small banner, logo and some basic homepage changes otherwise that's pretty much it. Back when YouTube showed off the one design I didn't change till they forced me as it just limited you. This new design seems to do nothing to give some of that back, to me it just spreads things out a bit more so I have to scroll even more. Dark mode is a nice feature to be added for those who use it I guess that's an upside to this. I just wish they would give people the option to make it more unique. like the option to have custom tabs with the option to put html elements in it, a channel background (seen with the heartbeat) would be a great addition if it were official. You get the idea :)
To this I have to say that I like the banner and profile pic only thing. In my opinion it makes YouTube look unified, you know where things are at and better for mobile, desktop and TV YouTube. And what I think is the best about all this is that your brand takes place in banner, thumbnails and profile picture only, making these three assets the most important thing for SEO. Also if YouTube were to add custom HTML I'd never open a single channel again. When the forums were hacked, someone added a password logger to a fake login page even without the HTML access being public. If custom HTML came out I'd start a channel with a password logger form saying "Please log in to YouTube again"...

Also YouTube should give everyone the same opportunities to grow a channel even if they're not a web dev.

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
To this I have to say that I like the banner and profile pic only thing. In my opinion it makes YouTube look unified, you know where things are at and better for mobile, desktop and TV YouTube. And what I think is the best about all this is that your brand takes place in banner, thumbnails and profile picture only, making these three assets the most important thing for SEO. Also if YouTube were to add custom HTML I'd never open a single channel again. When the forums were hacked, someone added a password logger to a fake login page even without the HTML access being public. If custom HTML came out I'd start a channel with a password logger form saying "Please log in to YouTube again"...

Also YouTube should give everyone the same opportunities to grow a channel even if they're not a web dev.

Yea I get what your saying, I was more thinking on the lines of what you can have in your signature on here. Limiting the options a bit. I can also see how it would feel like the same site. I feel the background would still be a addition to the brand that makes the page stand out (desktop, tablet and tv only). Just to make the page stand out a bit. At least youtube could give extra tab options like a custom one and a store one maybe? just so not every channel is just limited to simple changes. to me many channels just have too similar layouts.​

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Yea I get what your saying, I was more thinking on the lines of what you can have in your signature on here. Limiting the options a bit. I can also see how it would feel like the same site. I feel the background would still be a addition to the brand that makes the page stand out (desktop, tablet and tv only). Just to make the page stand out a bit. At least youtube could give extra tab options like a custom one and a store one maybe? just so not every channel is just limited to simple changes. to me many channels just have too similar layouts.​
Simple layouts are more important than complicated ones though. Personally when I look at software the most important thing is that it's self explanatory and only then I take features into consideration. Especially on websites a person who can read should be able to understand the core mechanics within five to ten minutes. And with every channel having a few additional tabs and links and images and stuff that would kind of go away. I like the part about it being a customizable page but still looks similar to other channels. In the end you could just make your own website showcasing all your videos too.

Jonathan

Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Simple layouts are more important than complicated ones though. Personally when I look at software the most important thing is that it's self explanatory and only then I take features into consideration. Especially on websites a person who can read should be able to understand the core mechanics within five to ten minutes. And with every channel having a few additional tabs and links and images and stuff that would kind of go away. I like the part about it being a customizable page but still looks similar to other channels. In the end you could just make your own website showcasing all your videos too.

I agree with that as these days that what people seem to want. but websites are not all software...lol. mainly code. I'm just one of many people who loved YouTube its its best days. back when you had channel designs like this:
http://imgur.com/MVgCW0o
When they were changed first they were a bit nicer in my opinion as it offered some uniform to the site while keeping options open
http://imgur.com/856wvMV
Only after Youtube one did they get rid of that stuff. around 2012 I think it was. These are the channel styles I remember and love and wish to see some remnants of return one day.​

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I prefer the last version. Though, I do like the layout of the new version. The banner is bigger and looks better, especially with the placement of the profile pic. And of course, dark mode is another thing I like, and have been using since I got Heartbeat.

But the fact that I can't customize my channel page bugs me. I can't edit the sections of my main channel page, meaning that I can't add a new playlist to it when I do a new series. I know I can click on the "Edit Layout" button, but that just takes me to the previous look of YouTube. It's not like you can change it back to the newer look from there. So honestly, unless they decide to allow you to customize your channel, you might as well click "Restore classic YouTube".

And I would also like to be able go to my own channel without having to constantly pause my channel trailer video.

Xorganth Xorganth

Freedom! Member
I check it out and it was nice-ish, but I don't like to have to relearn things. I know how to navigate the current one... lol

Hello, all!
So if we all remember, it's fine if you don't I even struggled.
If you would like to see a reminder of what I'm referencing click this link, no not that link this link.

I posted a thread back on April 15th, regarding a workaround to turning on the Youtube dark mode.

Well, the awesome train doesn't stop now! Youtube has now made it publicly available to all users with just a click of a button! To be able to use YouTube’s Material Design preview, head to YouTube.com/new. If you find that it's just not your type of cookie, you can also revert back by hitting “Restore class YouTube” under your accounts menu.

It's only taken them a year! It's also said that only one to three percent of users got Material Design during the testing period, but bare in mind that all the under the hood works still need work, depending on the demand for the new design it will affect their workflow!

So this is what Youtube is saying about the new design:

Clean design
The content and creators that you love shine with a clean, simple design.

Dark Theme
Activate dark theme from the new account menu to cut down on glare and take in the true colors of the videos that you watch.

Built for the future
We've been working on a totally new site design that's built on a new faster framework. That means we can build new features faster, such as dark theme and more to come.

Noice! But there is one main thing to note on this topic, there is no overhaul on the actual video player, it's all just for the looks, so if you were looking forward to less video buffer and less stutter, sorry but at least the sidebar looks pretty now!

So what do you guys and gals think? Will you be changing?

To be honest I switched to the new version but ended up reverting to classic within an hour.
There's already apps in the Google Chrome Store that have a Youtube Dark Mode just as good as the official one and even easier to toggle (since it's always on top of your chrome window). Moreover you can no longer preview your sub count just by clicking on your accounts (top right) which is unfortunate for vain, small channels like me who can still see every subscriber increase. XD