YouTube Is YouTube scary for new comers?

LPSprouts

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2018
NC
YouTube
so being new to the whole YouTube thing is kinda overwhelming. Seeing all these big names playing the same games on their channels...it kinda makes you wanna just stop uploading cause you feel like your not going anywhere. Now granted I only started a few months ago and just recently started uploading. I think my commentary is fine, but needs work... I can make and edit my videos and do all of the channel art and thumbnails. I know you just gotta just through that hard patch of when you first start...but how does one do that???? It’s kinda discouraging but I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, any tips or tricks to help myself not get discouraged from making videos? :/

Last edited:

Thelazysideoflife

Respected User
Apr 20, 2018
YouTube
Hi! As you can see I'm exactly in the same situation. But that's basically what I've learned until now, just keep pushing. So I'm eager to know what the others have to say about this!

Reactions: LPSprouts

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
YouTube is getting more difficult to grow, but if you keep up with consistent content you can grow. Just be yourself. The YouTube gaming community is one of the more competitive though. I have a friend that started a gaming channel about a year and 3 months ago. He is at like 32k Subscribers now, because he got involved in the gaming community by going to other big streams and just engage in conversations on their streams. Eventually they reached out to him to collaborate to help him grow because they liked his content he was posting and deserved a boost to get started. The channels he collabed with have 100k-400k Subscribers when he was only at like 10k or so.

LPSprouts

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2018
NC
YouTube
YouTube is getting more difficult to grow, but if you keep up with consistent content you can grow. Just be yourself. The YouTube gaming community is one of the more competitive though. I have a friend that started a gaming channel about a year and 3 months ago. He is at like 32k Subscribers now, because he got involved in the gaming community by going to other big streams and just engage in conversations on their streams. Eventually they reached out to him to collaborate to help him grow because they liked his content he was posting and deserved a boost to get started. The channels he collabed with have 100k-400k Subscribers when he was only at like 10k or so.
Well I hope that I can make it that far, I hope that I can work with some people along the way, and help me get myself out there, and I planned on starting a new series here soon. I mean my kind of content has been done before(Pokémon and RPG’s)... for like years but it’s Something that people enjoy and the community for it..is really good to be in

Knotty Stripes

Rising User
Apr 21, 2018
YouTube
homie every time i see your channel its grown in some type of way i feel the same sometimes but my love for games and creating keeps bringing me back i even made some youtube business cards they're pretty awesome you should do the same to boost confidence i like your videos bro so im sure others will too so just keep on trucking bro you got this!!!!

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
To answer your question yes I do feel like YouTube can be scary for new people, and also a little daunting. Sometimes this is the fault of the new people not really preparing for how much work needs to go into YT, and some thinking they will start out and immediately become 'famous'. But on the other hand I do think that YT itself can be difficult for anyone to get into fully, but this all depends on what your trying to get out of it.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Yes, it is. But it's not that bad for just new people coming around wanting to share their cat with the world and then slowly building up a fanbase. The part where it gets discouraging [not using the term "scary" because that's kind of a different thing to me] is if you start expecting stuff to happen. You expect your videos to have views grow exponentially as you run into the wall of not getting over 10 Views per video. You expect to get to 100 Subscribers by the end of the month but stay at 10. Your viewer retention is at the bottom of the chart and on your other tab you have just that success story open. The 10 Million Subscriber YouTuber that got you into doing this. All you wanted was to be like him. There it comes, the demotivation. Everyone's had it once. Your expected result isn't there.

Now who's to blame? Most people turn to YouTube. YouTube is at fault for preferring this large YouTuber instead of me even though I've done YouTube for this long, done tags, etc. YouTube never shows me in search. YouTube this, YouTube that. Most people don't get to the important conclusion that it's them all along.

YouTube isn't software development, where you go into something with an expected result and can build things off a list until you're there. If your expected result is to reach XY Thousand/Million subscribers in YZ time and don't get it you will be upset. That's how humans work.

What you should do is take YouTube as a hobby. Don't concentrate on getting a number up. Concentrate on creating content you're proud of and having fun while doing it. Then the numbers will come. We've all been there. We've had a channel at 10 Subscribers with videos getting 10 views after a will and then getting stuck. Getting demotivated there is normal. Don't let that get you down, concentrate on your own channel without wanting to be like someone else and you'll have a better time.

D

Deleted member 197467

so being new to the whole YouTube thing is kinda overwhelming. Seeing all these big names playing the same games on their channels...it kinda makes you wanna just stop uploading cause you feel like your not going anywhere. Now granted I only started a few months ago and just recently started uploading. I think my commentary is fine, but needs work... I can make and edit my videos and do all of the channel art and thumbnails. I know you just gotta just through that hard patch of when you first start...but how does one do that???? It’s kinda discouraging but I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, any tips or tricks to help myself not get discouraged from making videos? :/

As more people join YouTube and larger channels grow faster, the smaller ones die off. It has been getting a lot harder to grow on youtube with all the new rules for small channels that youtube has to try to keep them small, but if you put your time into it and make good content you should be fine.