I don't really support small channels, despite being one.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I went through my subscriptions today and found that 43 of the 49 people I am subscribed to are verified, and three of the 6 that are not verified are large enough to get verified.
The smallest channel I am subscribed to has 3000 subscribers and even he is getting many times his subscriber value in views per video that he makes on the pop-topic for his channel (happens to be No Man's Sky).

I have 66 subscribers and am currently sitting on a trend that suggests I'll be getting as many as 1000 views per day within the next 5 months although it might not hold. Perhaps I only watch those who I aspire to be like somehow. I dunno, but I find myself never really supporting small channels like those that make up the majority of this network. Perhaps the bulk of YouTube's audience is the same. But I do attribute the lack of small channels to the improbability to actually finding them.

Anyways, that's all I have to say for today.
Thanks,
Nolan.

Reactions: Danny

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I've never actually looked at the sub count when viewing content. If I like the content and want to see more, I'll sub. If they only have one video I like, I'll like the video but not sub. If I don't like the content, I keep looking.
It's not that I don't or won't support them, its that I never find them to begin with. That should say something about the nature of small channels.

Lord Dan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2016
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
YouTube
It's not that I don't or won't support them, its that I never find them to begin with. That should say something about the nature of small channels.

Yeah I can completely appreciate that; Google will obviously put a large emphasis on large channels due to the advertising revenue, naturally.

I have found my channel and videos slowly becoming more frequent in the recommended panes and under the gaming categories on the front page since using Tubebuddy to add better keywords, but that is only a recent thing and only a few of my recent videos have currently been updated with TB keywords. I think that may also be a problem in that new creators are unaware of SEO and other techniques.

The only old video that gets a lot of recommendation is a build tutorial that has almost 10k views and 120 likes (4 dislikes), but that is an old video that has accumulated over time. I think that is another issue, being a smaller channel, it takes a long time to accumulate those views, likes and comments and I think a lot of small creators give up before that point. I myself am guilty of this. Then due to giving up and not posting as often, we do ourselves a disservice and halt any potential progress.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
You never find them? You talk to hundreds on this forum all the time but claim to never "find" them?

I watch small channels pretty regularly because I get into watching a certain tyoe of video and I seek out all the videos that are like that...

Like recently Ive been watching everyones first reactions to HTC Vive... which quite often are small channels that dont even really do youtube much...

I dont like watching big channels because I want real reactions and reviews, and big youtubers often overexaggerate and possibly are bias... overexaggeration is fun to watch but not when you want real reviews and reactions...

Lord Dan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 25, 2016
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
YouTube
You never find them? You talk to hundreds on this forum all the time but claim to never "find" them?

I watch small channels pretty regularly because I get into watching a certain tyoe of video and I seek out all the videos that are like that...

Like recently Ive been watching everyones first reactions to HTC Vive... which quite often are small channels that dont even really do youtube much...

I dont like watching big channels because I want real reactions and reviews, and big youtubers often overexaggerate and possibly are bias... overexaggeration is fun to watch but not when you want real reviews and reactions...

That's a very valid statement.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
True fact that there are alot of small channels on the forums but for me i don't feel the need to watch most of them.

When browsing the forums then i mostly get the feeling that many only care for advertisement wich i can understand though. Sure in a way i may be part of that too but i don't share my content on here, i try to socialize as much as possible and engage in a conversation on topics that are of interest wich in my case is gaming.

The only reason for me to check out a small channel is if they grab the attention by certain content or i have engaged with them in a conversation and got curious as what their channel is like.

Reactions: Lord Dan

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
"I don't really support small channels, despite being one."

Sounds like something I'd find on /r/showerthoughts :D

In all seriousness, it is harder for me to find small channels (like us) when I'm just browsing and hoping from related video to related video, but when I do, whether or not I subscribe is a matter of their quality of content

Reactions: Koala_Steamed

Olivea Sea

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
I do support a lot of small beauty channels but I have to say when I only do this when I like something about their personality or video's that I feel can grow in something allot bigger. But my fav's are defiantly not among them and I enjoy big tubers more in general because they produce better content!

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
dude don't get cocky because of that views. you just lucky that people found you earlier. that was what I had in the beginning. but later they are gone. and back then I didn't even had 30 subs. not to be rude but just to warn you about later.

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
This is an easy one, you watch the large channels as they are the ones advertised to you through suggested channels / videos. Small channels are small because no one finds them, and so no one watches them :)

if no one watches small channels. then everyone with a small can't have anymore than 10 views even if they have 1000 subs. and yes even your size is small on youtube. think twice before you write something ;)

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
if no one watches small channels. then everyone with a small can't have anymore than 10 views even if they have 1000 subs. and yes even your size is small on youtube. think twice before you write something ;)

Who said I thought I wasn't small? Don't assume things before you write ;)

If everyone watched the small channels then they wouldn't be small channels. It's all common (or uncommon) sense.

Reactions: Danny

ekloo

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jun 16, 2016
YouTube
Who said I thought I wasn't small? Don't assume things before you write ;)

If everyone watched the small channels then they wouldn't be small channels. It's all common (or uncommon) sense.

dude... you was talking like you think you are big XD

and also now you talk to black/white. I mean with that you talk like: it's this or this. but no I didn't mean like small channels get so much being watched. but being never watched is not true at all. otherwise it was impossible to get big on youtube without help of a big youtuber or without being on a news. but it is possible.

Jdo

Rising User
Aug 6, 2016
UK
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Huh! I never really thought about that until this post! I guess it makes sense to watch who you aspire to be like, but, that's only normal I guess!

YouTube is more competitive than ever before BUT what you gotta remember is that despite the fact that they're small they could be doing something you REALLY want to see that your bigger channels aren't and you'd never even know it :)! just my 2 cents!

Jdo

Rising User
Aug 6, 2016
UK
www.facebook.com
YouTube
Another thing to not, don't bank on subs alone!

I.E:

Channel 1: 5 Videos x 20 mins long. x 5 subs

Channel 2: 5 Videos x 1 min long. x 10 subs

So, although he has more subs, his videos aren't as long and doesn't get video retention! even if all 10 people watched the whole one minute video that's 10 "views" But channel 1 will appear further up the list because he has had more "watch time" 5 subs less, but they spent more time watching him and therefore has more chance of being discovered! so at that, I say its easily quality over quantity. Simply do you best in pushing out the best you can content over more videos! :)