YouTube How long to edit a video?

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
How long does it take you roughly to edit a video? This video that i've done is 24 minutes long, its took over 4 hours to edit and i've just finished it.

It depends. Originally when I first started it took me a while to edit my videos. I usually record around 30-40 minutes and then edit down to 15-20 minutes. So when i first started editing it took a few hours, but now I can do a video just under 2 hours.

When i do the MGN top 5's they can take a tad bit longer then 2 hours but still. I believe it depends on the knowledge and shortcuts of the software plus also knowing what you want to do and how much editing a video requires.

Empyragon

Freedom! Member
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
Empyragon
Well, with my preferred video style it takes roughly 30-45-ish minutes to edit a video down to 15-30-ish minutes.

I edit full gameplay (normally 20 minutes to an hour or more of gameplay), only removing the bits I think are unnecessary or too long (such as repetitive tasks or in-game traveling).

This usually isn't too much because I like keeping some things in there to make me seem more "human" in a sense. Then for series I just divide the edited video session into smaller videos around 15-20-ish minutes normally, put my pre-made intro and outro where needed and i'm done!

personally to me anyway, it all depends and every video is different. If I want to spend extra time making sure the editint is tight and I am trying something new or really having fun editing it takes longer, if I am in a hurry or not interested as much in the video or just want to be done with it and get it posted (im human, not perfect and sadly that is the case from time to time) or if I just want the video to look somewhat sloppy because it fits my current mood or the mood of the video or just the look I am going for at that time then I take less time to edit, I hope that helps.

Flaffy33

Don't Drown It's not good for your health
Freedom! Member
Mar 25, 2015
YouTube
The length really depends on the kind of videos!
Personally I've never spent less than 12 hours editing each one of my videos and they're only around 5 minutes long.

Don't feel discouraged if you're taking too long to edit. A lot of it is playing around with things and being weird and creative anyways!

StormMoreno

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 25, 2016
Ohio, United States
YouTube
StormMoreno
For me it does not take a lot of time I record for around an hour to four hours and edit them down to 20-30 minutes video which doesn't take that much time I would say around an hour for all of them if I did not have to edit out a bunch of footage for different reasons.

Rockstars 1815

Rising User
Jan 4, 2018
YouTube
It takes me about 30-45 mins to edit a clip that is 7-10 mins long and then takes me around an hour to get it rendered.
I use Sony Vegas pro 14

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
It depends on the type of video and how much footage I have.
I run my own videography business and shoot mainly music videos. Average shoot is like 6 hours for me. Then I spend like 8 to 10 hours editing for a 3 to 4 minute video.
For a vlog I would say 2 to 3 hours of editing, depending on the type I make.

ItsGoingSkitzo

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2018
uk
YouTube
im so glad my channel is raw live stream with no editing....i tried adding an intro to some of my videos and my pc is so ancient it nearly blew up at the request....ah well, zero editing = easy life :)

FellowBrain

New User
Mar 20, 2018
YouTube
The time I take for editing usually depends on the video. My latest funny moments video was a 6-7 minute video, and that took me about 5 hours to edit. Depending on the amount of edits and the length of the recording session, the editing time usually takes longer or shorter. But, average time is around 4-6 hours for me.