How do you focus on editing?

JonathanIsBadAtGames

Freedom! Member
When I'm in the middle of editing a video, I often feel the strong urge to take breaks after accomplishing even the simplest of tasks. For instance, if I'm working on a review that will probably be between 5 or 6 minutes, after I've edited one minute's worth, I'll be met with the temptation of minimizing the window and playing a game instead.

This might just have to do with the fact that I'm editing footage of a video game and hearing myself talk about the video game. It's been suggested that maybe I just don't enjoy editing videos, but I don't think that's the case. Though I definitely prefer gathering the resources for the video and having the end result in front of me than the work in the middle.

Normally, I just listen to music if I'm having trouble concentrating on something, but that's not really a viable solution if I have to be listening to the audio on my video.

Any tips for keeping that wandering attention under control?

Shadlynx

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 18, 2016
Think of how uploading the video sooner will impact your channel. Obviously, editing isn't fun but I managed to save time by focusing on editing the clips first, do the easiest things at the end (adding transitions, annotations etc.)

Ferno the Knight

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 8, 2014
YouTube
FernotheKnight
I personally find joy in editing. But I have moments similar to yours where it's difficult to edited the audio without the urge to get distracted by something else. I have a dual monitor system so often I would have a video on one monitor and my editing software on the other. I will generally do any none audio edits with the video running on the second monitor and whenever I need to mess with any audio I would take turns between the two (five minutes editing, five minutes entertainment). Another thing I occasionally do is I play an RPG game instead of the video. And in moments when I'm binge crafting, auto riding to a distant in game location, or otherwise doing a in game task that doesn't require me to be present at the keyboard, I will switch back and do some editing until the task is complete. Of course this does lengthen editing time so if you have scheduled videos for certain dates then this strategy might not work well for you.

But also if you find that any strategy you're using is ether making the urge worst then it would probably be best to tackle it head on without music or any other distraction. Just get er done and over with so that you can do the other activities that you've been distracted with all along. Think of it as your reward for your hard work! Good luck dude!

gunsage

Freedom! Member
I suppose it depends on how much time in total you spend on editing. The ACTUAL editing process for me takes about 30 minutes give or take, but the processing, exporting, etc. takes far longer. Usually when it's processing or exporting or whatever I'll watch youtube, read articles, or whatever, but when I'm doing the actual editing I never stop or take breaks. I used to do that when editing podcasts and there would often be times when it would take me a week or longer to edit a 1 hour podcast. Don't, ah...don't do that.

D

Deleted member 17740

For me, i usually only edit some of my videos (excluding youtube video editor) so that i can speedup,, speed-down, or cut the video more effectively. Otherwise i just use the youtube video editor :D

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
For me I normally enjoy editing, its what gives you the chance to make your video in your own style and create somthing you can be proud of. Yes at times you can get tired of it because it can be alot of work but at the end of the day in general its kind of a big part of youtube. I know some people dont bother editing atall, it depends what your content is about really but most of the time a simple edit can make a difference. Just think of it as somthing you want to make yourself feel proud of and get positive responses for. At the end of the day theres nothing better than knowing you worked hard at somthing and then getting people telling you how good it is etc....and try and think more along the lines of the sooner you edit the quicker you can get the video uploaded and out there for people to see. You got to push through it, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Reactions: Ferno the Knight

iJim

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 31, 2016
UK
www.youtube.com
YouTube
iJimUK
I love editing videos, sometimes more than I do actually recording them. Why not try implementing a reward system? Say, after you have edited say, half the video, take a break for a while and play 30 minutes of a game, then go back and finish editing..

BigTinyTimTim

Rising User
Jan 26, 2017
YouTube
BigTinyTimTim
I usually stay dedicated to the editing because I know that when that's done, I have a long break before the video is done processing. In that break I'll be busy cleaning my room, playing a game, or I'll even take a walk. That way, when I come back to a finished video, I can edit another and be refreshed. I've also had this habit for the last year and I upload 2 videos a day. I'm a bit thick skulled haha