Tips & Tricks Help fix Headset Audio

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I've been trying to livestream with a Game Diaz headset and the audio is just terrible :(

First livestream I did the audio was wayyyyyyyyy took loud...

So I turned it down halfway, which fixed the audio volume some... but it still sounded terrible and was picking up breathing and stuff...

So I got a piece of sponge to put over the mic to try to fix that and it kinda worked a bit... but it still is wayyyyyyyyy too sensitive...

Anyone got tips one how I could modify the headset mic so it's not so sensitive?

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
What are you using to stream? :confused:

If you're using Open Broadcaster Software, there should be a noise gate filter that you can apply to your recordings/broadcasts. Play around with it, adjust the decibels, and it might eliminate your breathing and other subtle noises as long as they aren't as loud as your commentary.

It was a good idea to use the sponge on your microphone but that'll only really eliminate the crackling effect you get when speaking words with loud "puh's" and "buh's"; it's essentially a pop filter. :)

Reactions: Hail Kira

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
I've been trying to livestream with a Game Diaz headset and the audio is just terrible :(

First livestream I did the audio was wayyyyyyyyy took loud...

So I turned it down halfway, which fixed the audio volume some... but it still sounded terrible and was picking up breathing and stuff...

So I got a piece of sponge to put over the mic to try to fix that and it kinda worked a bit... but it still is wayyyyyyyyy too sensitive...

Anyone got tips one how I could modify the headset mic so it's not so sensitive?
Well, without knowing what headset your using it's harder to say...(should probably tell us as much info about the setup as possible). Right off the bat, I'd say try to not point the mic directly at your mouth, but rather at your chin, or lower or raise it so it's at chin or upper lip level. That will reduce some breathing and popping sounds. As for the quality, that's usually just the mic itself. If you want a really nice headset audio sound, you'll likely have to drop a couple hundred bucks on a new set.

Also, have you tried using any live filtering like with Adobe Audition? I use that to give it some compression and noise reduction for my streams.

Reactions: Hail Kira

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
Ahh... thanks! I've been using xsplit, it has a volume control but I don't know about any noise gate...

As for Adobe audition.. I don't have that either :(

@Phil Kidd it's a GamDias headset... like freedom was giving away long time ago...

Feel like a storm trooper with these things on my head... rofl