Forums Getting a partner badge sucks. Let's fix that.

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
This is an ongoing issue that keeps coming up. Partners want to link their forum accounts to the Dashboard. Here's the most common things that happen:
  • Forum username contains spaces or whatever so it needs to be your email
  • You don't have a password because Twitter and Facebook are so easy to use
  • You can't find the buttons
  • Other issues
Without being backed by statistical data here a lot of people are running into these issues. Being backed by experience data though this is a pain in the 4$$ to use. Does it have to be?

No.

As we all know the Freedom! Dashboard allows you to sign in to external services such as music providers like PositionMusic using an OAuth dance. This lets a signed in user authenticate their Freedom! Dashboard account in three clicks. Those external sites also have access to APIs using that token to see whether or not you're partnered (I assume). Are you getting where I'm going with this?

If not here's what I think:
XenForo has an "external accounts" option that could probably be modified to include a Freedom! Dashboard sign in. Ask users to authenticate with the Dashboard on some page on the forums, run a token dance, call the Dashboard API to verify someone's partnered with Freedom! and give them the badge.

Yes, this will be some work but it will improve the user experience greatly. Users will already be logged into the correct forum account. Just ask them to sign in with the Freedom! Dashboard account and automatically add the partner badge. Or run a script every XYZ that adds it, I don't know.

TLDR this is a nerd suggestion that probably won't happen but that would be amazing to happen.

Reactions: riganthor

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
I am seriously confusedwhy they havent done that for the freedom forums yet, it would make userfriendliness way higher