Gaming Channels are Dying?

MATTERSGAME

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 20, 2014
YouTube
mattersgame
From what I see on Youtube and my own channel gaming channels are starting to drop in views drastically. People who make gaming videos are going to have a rough time in 2017. Big youtubers such as markiplier and Vanoss can still keep a pretty high level of views just because of their huge following, however most lower lever youtubers even in the few millions have halted or declined in views and subscribers. Gamers are not the first to experience this. Animation channels had a similar fallout a few years ago. Why is this happening? Will Gaming channels end up like the animation channels? Is there anything we can do as YouTube gamers to fix this? Let me know what you think.

Tom Cryer

Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
To be honest, I don't think the future of youtube will be gaming either. I do think that gaming channels will soon dwindle in popularity, and something else (who knows what) will take centre stage on youtube.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
It is hard to get seen over the sea of content, The big ones like Markiplier & Vanoss don't have trouble cause Youtube actively promotes their content above others as part of the algorithm, as well as they are well established. I don't see what us small channels can do, trying to get seen over the amount of content for a game is near impossible as there is just so many videos out there already (coming from experience). I can see animation channels struggling as it takes a lot longer to make their content to the level people want to watch, while gaming content takes less than a day to fully produce and edit. What I've mainly noticed is a lack in new channels growing without help from other social media or exposure. even back in 2011 (when I first started under a different name) its was hard imagine how many more channels are there now! I doubt gaming as a content topic will ever end but I think the big ones will either dominate the market for good or fall after getting somewhat burnt out.

Reactions: AFKPlays

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I don't think gaming channels are dying as much as it is becoming overpopulated with large channels. People have more options than ever before and are going to settle at a creator that they deem their favorite. This leaves the communities broad rather than centralized around a creator that does it uniquely. It is this same reason that small gaming channels don't take off anymore.

StormMoreno

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 25, 2016
Ohio, United States
YouTube
StormMoreno
I don't think gaming channels are dying but as gaming itself evolves so does the channels they have to evolve with the games. What I mean by that is you want to be playing newer games and more popular games than what you want. If I think about what I want to watch I would like to watch newer games that I'm interested in but I am also interested in older games because I like knowing how much games evolved from playing them and watching them.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Gaming channels, I would say, are constantly growing - though it may seem that they are dying due to over saturisation on YouTube of the same type of content. To be completely honest how many ways can you really do walkthroughs, or tip videos without repeating other users? Larger channels will forever be able to bring in the views as YouTube actively promotes their material, and smaller channels may find it increasingly difficult to get seen amongst the hundreds of thousands of pages relating to their content

KingAmDa

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 22, 2017
YouTube
From what I see on Youtube and my own channel gaming channels are starting to drop in views drastically. People who make gaming videos are going to have a rough time in 2017. Big youtubers such as markiplier and Vanoss can still keep a pretty high level of views just because of their huge following, however most lower lever youtubers even in the few millions have halted or declined in views and subscribers. Gamers are not the first to experience this. Animation channels had a similar fallout a few years ago. Why is this happening? Will Gaming channels end up like the animation channels? Is there anything we can do as YouTube gamers to fix this? Let me know what you think.

To be honest, I don't believe that gaming channels are dying. I feel like it would be easy to think that simply because there are so many gaming channels. Viewers can only spend so much time watching YouTube videos and they can't get around to watching everyone's videos. I believe that there are a lot of views for people who are entertaining while playing or helpful (tutorials). Anything other than that within the gaming realm of YouTube just doesn't get too many views.

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
It is hard to get seen over the sea of content, The big ones like Markiplier & Vanoss don't have trouble cause Youtube actively promotes their content above others as part of the algorithm, as well as they are well established. I don't see what us small channels can do, trying to get seen over the amount of content for a game is near impossible as there is just so many videos out there already (coming from experience). I can see animation channels struggling as it takes a lot longer to make their content to the level people want to watch, while gaming content takes less than a day to fully produce and edit. What I've mainly noticed is a lack in new channels growing without help from other social media or exposure. even back in 2011 (when I first started under a different name) its was hard imagine how many more channels are there now! I doubt gaming as a content topic will ever end but I think the big ones will either dominate the market for good or fall after getting somewhat burnt out.

I don't think gaming channels are dying as much as it is becoming overpopulated with large channels. People have more options than ever before and are going to settle at a creator that they deem their favorite. This leaves the communities broad rather than centralized around a creator that does it uniquely. It is this same reason that small gaming channels don't take off anymore.
Your answers are spot on! :D Though the real question would be how to survive this saturated grind? Any tips? (other than the standard ones..?) :D

erickismeme

Rising User
Feb 7, 2017
YouTube
erickismeme
it may seem like that because there are more gaming channels now and with more gaming channels appearing everyday there is going to be more smaller channels spread everywhere so it may seem like it..or it feels like that no exactly sure but those are my 2 cents

SideKick

Rising User
Jul 9, 2015
YouTube
In a way, yes but i'm sure it's temporary. I noticed when you don't log in and go to the YouTube page, they only feature verified channels like Conan O'Brien and other talk shows.