B

Betta Channel

My opinion to shoutouts is just a big DISAGREEMENT. From my point of view, shoutouts are promotions for small channels from big YouTubers with a large growing subscribers and views. These shoutouts shouldn't be done because it doesn't create an active fanbase, just a manipulation of subscribers count. You can't earn appropriate audience and an active fanbase just after winning a shoutout, we should use our creativity and do an effort by creating amazing content!

KEEP UP THE GOOD CONTENT FOR AMAZING CREATORS!!!

GLP Matty

CEO and Founder of Illuminati
Freedom! Member
Jul 8, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
GLPMatty
Depends. Freedom! done it right when they did theirs by actually showing people why the channel is good and also telling the channel what they would improve on. I have a... 'friend' with 10 subs who shouts me out just in hopes I'll do the same but I'm not going to because his channel sucks and he refuses to take advice from me on why this is the case. When he shouts me out. He does it in a video where he shouts out nine other people and all he'll say about me is. "Watch GLP Matty because I've been friends with him for ages and stuff." and then that's it. That's not helpful. He's just hoping I do the same for him because I have a larger subscriber base.

THENigeliam

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
Well, sometimes it depends on how they did the shoutout. I see some channels where they have these "requirements" that you have to subbed to the uploader, and you have to sub to all of the channels mentioned. It's like sub 4 sub hidden in plain sight if you ask me. Some actually do good shoutouts and even throws a review while they're at it.

Reactions: MisterUltimate

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
It depends.

I appreciate shoutouts, especially if it's for a good cause. I like it if I already have an established relationship with the other YouTuber, not just a random person that I met on Freedom for a few hours and I somehow get selected for a shoutout. For example, my YouTube buddies gave me a birthday shoutout because I turned 25. They made an entire video dedicated to me and created a D&D character for me (while trolling me), and I loved the video!

Reactions: MisterUltimate

MisterUltimate

Freedom! Member
A genuine shout out that occurs organically can be good. When you shout out a Youtuber you really believe in, it shows. Subscribers that you've made a connection with, who genuinely are interested in your content and in you as a creator might feel motivated to check those people out.

However, channels that say, "Hey, apply to be my next shout out! Do these things to earn a shout out! Hey people, check out this person I'm giving a shout out to purely because they fulfilled my arbitrary requirements!" Yeah... It feels less like they are sharing something cool, and more like they are running a pyramid scheme or something. There is an artificial quality to it that can be a big turn-off in my opinion.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I dont like shoutouts that arnt meaningful.

Shoutout series and stuff just feel like a scheme to me...

I dont respect it...

I dont wanna say people are bad for doing them... I shout out people from time to time too... but when i do i mean it...

its not part of some favor system...

Reactions: Enmoshin

InnocentMusik

Musician and amateur composer/producer
Freedom! Member
It really depends on the person. I think it's relatively helpful if the person giving you a shoutout that really likes your stuff. E.g. a friend of mine did a shoutout for me because he genuinely likes my content even though I told him that he doesn't need to. A person doing a shoutout for the sake of shoutouts doesn't mean anything, it's empty.

ITW Games

Freedom! Member
Nov 12, 2015
Midwest USA
YouTube
ScottWood2569
Same as most above. It all kinda depends. Shoutouts usually just send a bunch of people to you channel that sub and never come back to see your videos again. Not the traffic you want. But on the other hand it could send some people to your channel that genuinely like your stuff and maybe they wouldn't have had a chance to see or learn of your channel otherwise... Because maybe your not at the top of the video list or something like that.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
My opinion to shoutouts is just a big DISAGREEMENT. From my point of view, shoutouts are promotions for small channels from big YouTubers with a large growing subscribers and views. These shoutouts shouldn't be done because it doesn't create an active fanbase, just a manipulation of subscribers count. You can't earn appropriate audience and an active fanbase just after winning a shoutout, we should use our creativity and do an effort by creating amazing content!

KEEP UP THE GOOD CONTENT FOR AMAZING CREATORS!!!
I guess like everyone else says, it really depends. It all depends on your subscriber base and your relationship with them and the relationship you have with the person you shout out. Your subscriber base might not like the kind of content the other channel uploads, but if you make sure that you all have relatable interests, it could really build a positive relationship between everybody.