Do Thumbnails And Banner Really Help To Grow?

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
Lets have a discussion about this....I would like to know everyone's opinion

Everytime someone asks for a review people usually check their channels out and check out their video and they usually tell them (the one who asked for a review) about banners and thumbnails and if they don't looks shiny or decent then they tell them to make better ones so that u can grow

Well yes we should change banners and thumbnails for better engagement but does that really help?
For smaller channels especially no matter how the banners are and how the thumbnails are u won't get a growth in attention or viewership....I mean the thumbnails can be really nice but what about the content in the video....The actual content not the microphone quality or not the the video quality but the content because a few of them actually talk about it

I am not saying that reviews don't help don't get me wrong here because if u are actually suggesting for changing banners or thumbnails its really nice because they should do it but does it really help in growth

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member

Everytime someone asks for a review people usually check their channels out and check out their video and they usually tell them (the one who asked for a review) about banners and thumbnails and if they don't looks shiny or decent then they tell them to make better ones so that u can grow

Well yes we should change banners and thumbnails for better engagement but does that really help?
For smaller channels especially no matter how the banners are and how the thumbnails are u won't get a growth in attention or viewership....I mean the thumbnails can be really nice but what about the content in the video....The actual content not the microphone quality or not the the video quality but the content because a few of them actually talk about it

I am not saying that reviews don't help don't get me wrong here because if u are actually suggesting for changing banners or thumbnails its really nice because they should do it but does it really help in growth
I have seen channels with most basic thumbnails and banner gain thousands of views and active comments. To be honest i myself am also a basic channel as i don't have the tools for great thumbnails and such as i also work a lot. Regardless of my basic thumbnails i still have video's crossing the thousand views and more. In some way i would even think that it doesn't matter much

Reactions: TheGaminCentral

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I wouldn't say they make a huge amount of difference, sure its nice to visit a channel and be blown away by good graphical art straight away - which may subconsciously start making you think the channel is of good quality - however as you rightly said it could then be let down by poor video or microphone quality

SannuG

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 23, 2016
Well, thumbnails may attract more people to watch the content you have, but the most views that are coming in are from the video itself and how many people like the video while commentating on the video's comment section, Thumbnails aren't really that important, may attract new people, but not substantially needed, the things really matter are the title, description, tags on the video itself, and channel tags that relate to the content that you are making, all else is less important.

Good luck.

Usgamers

Freedom! Member
Jan 19, 2015
YouTube
hdshowGFX
Take in consideration that my opinion is from a person who sells graphics.

I think that thumbnail's are important because they can give the feel of what the video is going to be about, If someone made a video about call of duty video and it has a generic cod thumbnail then I'll pass and look for another video, for me graphics such as banners/ thumbnails shows your personalty and if the user likes what they see then they'll click on the video. Title and tags are more important but having decent graphics can go along way for potential subscribers.

If you have a following then thumbnails ain't really important. No one really knows how the algorithm works so it's probably best if you don't cut corners on your content. Be the best on all corners and you'll see growth :)

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
Take in consideration that my opinion is from a person who sells graphics.

I think that thumbnail's are important because they can give the feel of what the video is going to be about, If someone made a video about call of duty video and it has a generic cod thumbnail then I'll pass and look for another video, for me graphics such as banners/ thumbnails shows your personalty and if the user likes what they see then they'll click on the video. Title and tags are more important but having decent graphics can go along way for potential subscribers.

If you have a following then thumbnails ain't really important. No one really knows how the algorithm works so it's probably best if you don't cut corners on your content. Be the best on all corners and you'll see growth :)
U see having decent thumbnails is good but u don't have to have a really good looking thumbnails so that people can watch it
There are channels who get decent views like around 50 ish with having an "OK" Thumbnail
I am also one of those guys who likes having good thumbnail but having a good thumbnail for small subscribers usually doesn't mean that u would get good views...Yea the view count might increase but the watch time will reduce if ur video content isn't great enough

Reactions: Usgamers

Danny

SDGCore
Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver
sdgcore.com
YouTube
41Danny1
I think this question can be answered simply. Most of us watch YouTube videos (I don't actually know anyone who only creates.) So, when you're browsing, are you more inclined to click on a video with a good thumbnail? I think thumbnails are quite important! :)

Channel banners on the other hand, I think they're less important. Still, you'll probably want to offer your subscribers the most you can and make sure it isn't giving them an eyesore every time they visit the channel!

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
I think this question can be answered simply. Most of us watch YouTube videos (I don't actually know anyone who only creates.) So, when you're browsing, are you more inclined to click on a video with a good thumbnail? I think thumbnails are quite important! :)

Channel banners on the other hand, I think they're less important. Still, you'll probably want to offer your subscribers the most you can and make sure it isn't giving them an eyesore every time they visit the channel!
yea they are important but if ur channel is not growing its not because u don't have a good thumbnail its because of a number or reason

Usgamers

Freedom! Member
Jan 19, 2015
YouTube
hdshowGFX
U see having decent thumbnails is good but u don't have to have a really good looking thumbnails so that people can watch it
There are channels who get decent views like around 50 ish with having an "OK" Thumbnail
I am also one of those guys who likes having good thumbnail but having a good thumbnail for small subscribers usually doesn't mean that u would get good views...Yea the view count might increase but the watch time will reduce if ur video content isn't great enough

I'm not saying Thumbnails have to be top notch, as long as it shows what the video is going to be about then I think it's good enough. Just don't do the generic template stuff. There are a number of reasons why people might not watch your videos, they might not have the time, don't like the content e.t but having a good thumbnail can show that your consistent with your quality. the editing and microphone is way more important but I think everybody knows that.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
I'm not saying Thumbnails have to be top notch, as long as it shows what the video is going to be about then I think it's good enough. Just don't do the generic template stuff. There are a number of reasons why people might not watch your videos, they might not have the time, don't like the content e.t but having a good thumbnail can show that your consistent with your quality. the editing and microphone is way more important but I think everybody knows that.
The one thing I will do agree on is repetative thumbnails where people use templates where there is always just 1 image showing off in 20 different videos (for example)
I hate those and that is why making custom thumbnails for every video is better

Reactions: Usgamers

Plaiderpuss

New User
Aug 7, 2017
YouTube
plaiderpuss

It definitely looks better. Like, when you stumble upon a channel, one of the first things you'll usually notice is a specific color scheme or a brand. If it grabs someone's attention, its bound to help you grow in some way.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
It definitely looks better. Like, when you stumble upon a channel, one of the first things you'll usually notice is a specific color scheme or a brand. If it grabs someone's attention, its bound to help you grow in some way.
It does help don't get me wrong but it doesn't improve ur channel...it won't help in ur audience growth....People should not totally invest their time in banner/thumbnails instead they should invest time in the content and how to present them.....Thumbnails can come later

Plaiderpuss

New User
Aug 7, 2017
YouTube
plaiderpuss
It does help don't get me wrong but it doesn't improve ur channel...it won't help in ur audience growth....People should not totally invest their time in banner/thumbnails instead they should invest time in the content and how to present them.....Thumbnails can come later
I'm not saying to skim on the content itself, because that's obviously what matters in the end. Like, let me put it this way. Your content is a delicious candy bar, the best. You wouldn't wrap this candy bar in a white bag that says "GUD" in Sharpie on it. You don't have to dedicate a week to branding, but definitely don't ignore it.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
I'm not saying to skim on the content itself, because that's obviously what matters in the end. Like, let me put it this way. Your content is a delicious candy bar, the best. You wouldn't wrap this candy bar in a white bag that says "GUD" in Sharpie on it. You don't have to dedicate a week to branding, but definitely don't ignore it.
Yea that's right there is no ignoring it and people should make these thumbnails to brand or get more views but for those guys who review smaller channels myself they tend to say change ur thumbnail...even if its a decent one that is what I feel is not helping much because then people would say that I have made my thumbnails and banners look good then why I don't grow

Varlais Alata

Rising User
Jun 15, 2017
YouTube
It doesn't make too much of a difference in most cases, it just really depends on the person. If they're repulsed by your "decor" they'd probably be more likely to stay unsubbed. Although, I personally love it when I see a channel done up nicely, it tells me that they take it seriously. :)