RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
Here is a small tip about using copyrighted music within your videos and still being able to monetize. If you decide to use a song that is copyrighted, you can use 30 seconds or less of the song in your video without getting a copyright claim because the YouTube copyright system doesn't pick it up. But once you pass the 30 second mark, the copyright claim will appear. There are manual copyright claims though. The original owner or company/companies have to see the video and request to claim the copyright. I've only had 1 manual copyright happen over my past 620+ videos.

If you are a musician:
When you cover a song, You sometimes get the option for "Shared Revenue". This means that the original creator wants to split the revenue you make off of the video, which is nice, instead of having them take all of the revenue.

Another option is getting a license for the song, but that could be a couple hundred dollars sometimes if you want to get full revenue from it. Unless you know the musician personally, than you could just get permission from them and they will sometimes give you the right to use their song in your video, if you give them credit in your description. The original artist will send you an e-mail with a written permission. You then dispute the copyright claim and select, "I have a license or permission from the proper rights holder to use this material." After that agree that you have permission. Then copy and paste the e-mail in that the original artist sent you. Then agree that you have permission again to file the dispute. After like a day or 2 the copyright claim will be gone.

Process of Dealing with a Copyright Claim that you own:
I have helped a friend deal with a copyright claim on one of her original songs. Someone else was claiming her own song. So I dealt with the problem by disputing it saying that it is an original song. The dispute got denied. So I had to dispute it again. The 2nd dispute warns you, that if it gets declined again the original owner has the right to take down the video/remove the music from the video and give you a copyright strike. But it got approved the 2nd time. (Make sure you are the true owner before disputing the 2nd time.) If you get declined on the 2nd dispute, the video is taken down/remove the music from the video and you receive a copyright strike, but you are able to dispute it again for one last time. So on the 3rd dispute (music removed from video or video is removed and have a copyright strike. (disputing the copyright strike.) you are warned that the copyright owner has the right to take you to court and sue you. But I have never had any YouTube friends get declined on the 3rd dispute, They end up getting approved. Companies don't like going to court. If you are declined on the 3rd dispute and you know for sure you own all the rights. You can go to court and sue them. Also the same process pretty much is someone takes some of your video content.
WARNING: BE 100% SURE YOU OWN THE RIGHTS BEFORE DOING THIS! YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SUED!

I hope you learned more about the process of dealing with copyrighted songs. (Songs you own, and songs other artists own.)

Last edited: