Forums Custom CSS on Profile Page?

PCPhantom

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 7, 2017
Serbia
YouTube
brokemanspc
I think it would be really cool for people to be able to put their own stylesheets on profile pages. For people who don't know what CSS is, it's a programming language that lets you modify the look and feel of the website. I would really like to re-design my profile page, this is also a good opportunity to use forum credits, like 150 credits to get access to this!

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
I think it would be really cool for people to be able to put their own stylesheets on profile pages. For people who don't know what CSS is, it's a programming language that lets you modify the look and feel of the website. I would really like to re-design my profile page, this is also a good opportunity to use forum credits, like 150 credits to get access to this!

While this would be good imagine how many classes and sheets would have to be stored and not everyone's page will be fully responsive. It would also take away from consistent style in the forums and some people may even abuse it. 150 credits in my opinion is much too cheap. I'd say easily upwards of 800 a month!

Instead I think people should get some more options such as adding additional info to their profiles (without using the about section and without having koala_fried adding extra custom fields) another option would be to let people display galleries and stuff on their profile or a more versatile status system.

PCPhantom

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 7, 2017
Serbia
YouTube
brokemanspc
While this would be good imagine how many classes and sheets would have to be stored and not everyone's page will be fully responsive. It would also take away from consistent style in the forums and some people may even abuse it. 150 credits in my opinion is much too cheap. I'd say easily upwards of 800 a month!

Instead I think people should get some more options such as adding additional info to their profiles (without using the about section and without having koala_fried adding extra custom fields) another option would be to let people display galleries and stuff on their profile or a more versatile status system.

First of all, stylesheets aren't really that big since it's mostly plain text, thus there won't be a lot of storage used for that stuff, not to mention freedom allows you to upload attachments to your posts -_- . Second if a part of the page is not responsive there should be a CSS Reset button in the settings for example to return it to its original theme. Also no one is gonna pick up 800 a month, it would be too expensive.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Fun idea to give the profile a more personal look. Already have the permanent banner but i would like some more customizations :)

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
First of all, stylesheets aren't really that big since it's mostly plain text, thus there won't be a lot of storage used for that stuff, not to mention freedom allows you to upload attachments to your posts -_- . Second if a part of the page is not responsive there should be a CSS Reset button in the settings for example to return it to its original theme. Also no one is gonna pick up 800 a month, it would be too expensive.

Yes but it will take away from the consistent look of the forums and may be abused by some. A customization tool would be better since not many people are well oriented with stylesheets. I am a web developer so I am more than familiar with them. A better option would be to offer for example custom profile backgrounds and COLOR changes using a set of tools in a menu.[DOUBLEPOST=1502316888][/DOUBLEPOST]Let's not forget about the custom development needed to implement such a feature. The shop system isn't actually developed by the forum team, it is a professional xenforo Addon and any item in the shop is an addon which requires complex development by someone familiar with the xenforo software. The system to upload and apply would need to be developed but then also the store item. As far as I know none of the admins on this forum are experts in PHP, JavaScript and XML meaning a freedom staff member would need to take time away from their projects to program this.

A better solution to all of this would perhaps be custom CSS in the form of the xenforo style properties settings. Where each profile is given a system similar to the xenforo styles system to customize their profile without having total control over everything which can lead to disaster.

On the other hand some things that wouldn't take a mountain of custom code would be implementing custom profile backgrounds and slideshows. I have implemented these many times on sites and existing code can be used for them.

Last edited:

PCPhantom

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 7, 2017
Serbia
YouTube
brokemanspc
Nice idea although that might open it up a bit too much and people are likely to abuse that...

We would like to include other options to customize your profile though if you have ideas on more individual things that can be added.

Idk really how it would be abused, all you are really doing is just changing colors and the make up of the page. There really isn't any way to abuse it. Even if someone abused it would be easy to give moderators permission to reset their page and strip away the perk for a certain amount of time

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
Idk really how it would be abused, all you are really doing is just changing colors and the make up of the page. There really isn't any way to abuse it. Even if someone abused it would be easy to give moderators permission to reset their page and strip away the perk for a certain amount of time

Let's see:
  • How many people really know CSS well enough to use it
  • The profiles won't look consistent which is vital to a good looking forum.
  • color: White (on white background)
  • display: hidden
  • width: 1px
  • padding: 1000px
  • font-family: comic sans (jk)
  • background-image: url(insert inappropriate link)
Perhaps a better solution would be to introduce custom backgrounds for people with (insert number) of messages or via a forum credit.

Take one look at this punishment theme I made after a joke with koala_fried. This is just getting started:
http://development.tldrhosting.tk/xenforo/index.php
Username: administrator
Password: tldr

----

You also need to think about how much custom code it would take to do something like that using xenforos node system and profile system. It's not like other CMS systems such as Wordpress or Drupal. You would need to have extensive coding skills and know what you are bloody doing before you stuff up a giant forum.
As far as I know there isn't a plugin that exists for this so its not the best of ideas.