Capture Hardware

Marc Towler

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 6, 2016
YouTube
Hi all,

I have seen quite a bit of differing information online regarding capture hardware and what is best to buy and I was after the opinion of this community. I am looking at recording from PS4/PS3 to my laptop so that I can edit and then upload my videos because at the moment I am having to livestream and then edit the videos which isn't the best.

So what do you think is the best capture hardware to get for this? Eglato, Aver or something different? What makes you choose the one you do?

PixelatedAngel

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 20, 2016
YouTube
Hi all,

I have seen quite a bit of differing information online regarding capture hardware and what is best to buy and I was after the opinion of this community. I am looking at recording from PS4/PS3 to my laptop so that I can edit and then upload my videos because at the moment I am having to livestream and then edit the videos which isn't the best.

So what do you think is the best capture hardware to get for this? Eglato, Aver or something different? What makes you choose the one you do?

So do you want to use a capture card in your computer or do you want a separate device?

Marc Towler

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 6, 2016
YouTube
You'd have to use a capture card of sorts to record from consoles, then its basically a file you can then edit
yeah so for example there is the elgato hd60, avermedia etc but im curious as to which one would be good to get as the prices vary massively

nologic

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Aug 25, 2014
Sweden
YouTube
eyelogix
Elgato HD60 60fps works with most of the consoles and pc.
There are cheaper out there, but cant say much about Razer Ripsaw thou. (It might be overpriced)
But I guess it's down to the persons economy and persona preferences.

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
I recommend the aver media device, its what i use on the ps4 and its so easy to use as it uses a push button function to start and stop recording. Its in hd and copes well, check my latest videos to check the picture quality if you want. I also have the elgato but unless your doing pc aswell i would definetly stick with the aver media as it has made my life so much easier, i find the elgato kept messing me around and changing settings randomly so it became way too much work. So goodluck with your choice hope it helps. Oh and the aver media device is cheaper ofc

iPIxelDot

Freedom! Member
On my xbox one, I just stream it to my PC and use OBS Studio for live streaming. I was under the impression you can basically do the same on the PS4.

But when I do the older consoles, I have the Elgato HD 60 capture card and love it! So very easy to use.

I tried the Roxy Gaming one and it was terrible. I constantly had issues connecting and it was never the same each time. On top of that, if you need CS help, they require you purchase a subscription to their forums to get help. Software was not the greatest and lacked updates when it really needed them.

Marc Towler

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 6, 2016
YouTube
thanks for the input all, I am starting to heavily consider the aver to save on cash unless someone can point to me a good reason not to :D

SideKick

Rising User
Jul 9, 2015
YouTube
I recommend the original Elgato Game Capture HD as it's the only device in the Elgato line that records PS3. You can also have both your PS3/PS4 plugged in as they both use a different cable to capture.[DOUBLEPOST=1488711662][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can get a capture card such as an elgato hd60 and record from there

I would have to disagree as the original poster said he wants to also capture PS3 which can only be captured via component which the HD60 doesn't have.

Reactions: Piano Uncovered

Marc Towler

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 6, 2016
YouTube
I recommend the original Elgato Game Capture HD as it's the only device in the Elgato line that records PS3. You can also have both your PS3/PS4 plugged in as they both use a different cable to capture.[DOUBLEPOST=1488711662][/DOUBLEPOST]

I would have to disagree as the original poster said he wants to also capture PS3 which can only be captured via component which the HD60 doesn't have.
with a $2 bit of hardware you can use the HD60 to record PS3

MasterJPixel

Rising User
Mar 5, 2017
YouTube
masterjpixel1
If your computer is good enough (I use an i3 CPU at about 3.3ghz , 8 gigabytes of RAM, and about a terabyte of disk space) and you want to record games in good quality at 30fps, I would try OBS, just make sure to experiment with the settings and let it use your graphics card to record.
Otherwise as said above I would just get an elgato or something