YouTube Can't remove copyrighted song with too many views???

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I was going through a bunch of video from way back at the start of my channel in 2014, and I still am going through them, removing the song I used to use as my outro. I'm doing this partly because I decided I want to monetize those videos once I meet YouTube's requirements to do so, since quite a few of my old videos have a lot of views, some have over 1000, and are still popular, so that might be good for me. But it's also because at the time, while Audiomachine did allow the use of their music if we accepted the claim, I didn't exactly obtain the song in a legal fashion. But I wasn't exactly thinking about what I was doing at the time. I was still new to the whole YouTube thing.

But on one of my videos, which has almost 170,000 views now, YouTube won't let me remove the song, because of the amount of views it has. I don't understand the reason for this. Why should I not be able to remove a copyrighted song from a video just because it has too many views? I know I have the option to save it as a new video, but that video is so old and I used to be so much more awkward, that I can't help but wonder why it's even my most popular video. Besides, I doubt it will have the same impact as a new video as it did as the original.

But I could also delete the video altogether and re-record it, which would be a shame, because I don't really want to remove a classic. But considering the fact that I got the music by downloading the video of the song, and then just used the audio for my videos, I would rather not just keep it as it is.

What would be the best option, solely to get rid of the music? Save as new video, or delete and re-record?

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
It sounds stupid but seems to have existed for a while now and honestly I kind of understand where they were coming from:

anmoose said:
It's a policy that's been in effect for years. Its intention is to stop people from taking an established popular video and editing it into a completely different video without the content that made it popular, or worse, adding unwanted spammy content, then getting views based on its existing popularity.
[Source]

I think the best course of action would be to save it as a new video and keep it unlisted and if the old one causes issues in the future (e.g. when joining a MCN) you can private the old one and make the new one public which (I believe) will also save it from being sent out as a new video to confused subscribers I lied, there's an option to stop that from happening:
upload_2018-6-23_23-31-8.png

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
It sounds stupid but seems to have existed for a while now and honestly I kind of understand where they were coming from:

[Source]

I think the best course of action would be to save it as a new video and keep it unlisted and if the old one causes issues in the future (e.g. when joining a MCN) you can private the old one and make the new one public which (I believe) will also save it from being sent out as a new video to confused subscribers I lied, there's an option to stop that from happening:
View attachment 20222
Yeah, keeping the video with the illegally obtained music public, while the more legal version stays unlisted. Seems legit.