Tips & Tricks Best Microphone for it's price.

GeeksGoGaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2017
Ireland
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I have used many different microphones and I would have to say that for it's price the best microphone out there is the Blue Snowball. It's cheaper then the blue yeti and the sound quality is amazing. The sound is perfect but as an added bonus you can buy a pop filter for about €2.50 ( $2.81 or £2.16).

The microphone itself costs €61.46 ( $68.99 or £53.00 )

It's a great microphone.

Amazon Us: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Microphone-Textured-White/dp/B000EOPQ7E
Amazon Uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-iCE-Microphone/dp/B014PYGTUQ

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you have time check out my channel to :p

MrSpecies7

Freedom! Member
Jan 29, 2015
Canada
YouTube
I started my channel using a Snowball.Great,simple mic that worked for two years and then developed a bad crackle noise.
All in all it was well worth the money.
When I purchased a new mic I went back to blue and bought the Blue Nessie.
Again far less money than the Yeti but with most of the same features the Yeti has that were absent on the Snowball like different filters,headphone volume adjust ,mute button and headphone jack.

ReallyTrash

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Mar 23, 2014
YouTube
Oh come on. I was hoping not to see a Blue mic here. It's certainly far from the best and there's mics way cheaper and sound a lot better. Blue mics tend to catch too much noise. Your dog jumps from the sofa 3 rooms away from you and it can be heard. When you are too close to the mic it pops like crazy. Way too overrated, so my advice - do not buy a Blue microphone.

I own the Auna Mic 800B - got it for around 50€ and I've been using it for around 3 years. I put it on a scissors stand from ebay and it's relatively close to my mouth. The quality is outstanding for the price + if you know how to use audacity for your recordings you get an equal quality of 100+€ mics.

The other brand I can recommend is Samson. The price is a bit higher but you get a great sound and a small size so it's easy to put anywhere.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
From what I feel and what I have used Samson are a great mic just because they don't need any phantom power especially the USB ones like Samson C01U Pro which doesn't need any phantom power and its just plug and use mic also it is a condenser mic so when u speak to it u hear crisp sound which is always good
The build quality is also really good and its has some weight to it as well
Its probably a little pricey as I got in around $80 but it is a really good mic as it can go for a long time
Other than that there are other microphones as well as @Dev_J told about microphone kits but the only issue I would say is its not long lasting because most of the things are not well made but no one can complain about it as its cheap but I guess for starting out u can get one of those kits as well

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
@TheGaminCentral
From what I've heard about the kit I've been looking at its actually all metal except like 1 part. Most also agree its well made and durable, a bargin for the price.

Really its up to if you. Want a small setup then a simple usb mic will do you. But if you want to get used to what higher end mics will use then go for a kit. I'm planning to go for a kit just cause my career path will probably need to know how to set on of tbese up anyways so its good practice.​

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
@TheGaminCentral
From what I've heard about the kit I've been looking at its actually all metal except like 1 part. Most also agree its well made and durable, a bargin for the price.

Really its up to if you. Want a small setup then a simple usb mic will do you. But if you want to get used to what higher end mics will use then go for a kit. I'm planning to go for a kit just cause my career path will probably need to know how to set on of tbese up anyways so its good practice.​
Well yea a kit is nice and I did not go for a kit as I bought individual product but it does depend upon u

StringStorm

Freedom! Member
Jul 15, 2015
stringstorm.info
YouTube
Alternatively, if you want the same sound quality for half the price, you can grab a BM800 and a 48v Phantom Power Supply unit.

The great thing about this is that it opens up the XLR microphone market for you so if you need a better sounding mic, rather than sticking to tinny sounding USB mics, you can go a step further and grab an XLR mic that would sound 10x better for the same price.
https://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-BM-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1504826786&sr=1-1&keywords=bm800
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-1-Cha...04826934&sr=1-3&keywords=phantom+power+supply

But if you wan't to stick to USB mics but still have more what the Snowball has to offer in terms of sound quality, then the Pod Pack 1 from Marantz Professional is your go to, sporting for a measly 50 bucks for a boom arm and the mic itself which would save you $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Prof...TF8&qid=1504826859&sr=1-2&keywords=pod+pack+1

But if 50 bucks is still to expensive for a USB mic for you, then your last option would be the CAD GXL2400. All metal build, sounds amazing (for a USB mic), low preamp noise, and its only 30 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/CAD-GXL2400-...ts&ie=UTF8&qid=1504837921&sr=1-4&keywords=cad

If you prefer not to use a desk microphone at all and want to save some desk space, or you just want the mic pointed right at your mouth the entire time you're recording, then the Ant Lion Mod Mic is really the one I can recommend. Any other else sounds terrible compared to the Mod mic. Its going to cost you 55 bucks, though.
https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audi...d=1504838118&sr=1-1&keywords=ant+lion+mod+mic

Last edited:

HPN2017

Rising User
Oct 22, 2017
I haven't heard about that mic, but i think that is a good microphone.

Well it's pretty decent for a starter mic. You get a full kit including Shock Mount, 2 Pop Filters, adjustable arm stand, the condenser mic, and XLR to 3.5mm adapter cable for between $25 and $36 depending on where you buy it. It certainly isnt Top Grade but for the price it is definitely one of the best in it's class.

Note: It also comes with a USB sound adapter.... if you buy the kit, throw this piece away immediately! It is the only absolutely broken and useless item in the kit. I've seen several reviews and they all confirmed that it isnt just a one off bad part.

GLP Matty

CEO and Founder of Illuminati
Freedom! Member
Jul 8, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
GLPMatty
The difference between the Snowball and Yeti isn't so much sound quality (the yeti is only very slightly clearer) as much as it is about adaptability and variety of use, with the right equipment to go with it the Yeti can be used for anything really. I know a guy who used it as a boom mic believe it or not.

NewSpark

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jun 4, 2016
YouTube
i started off using a yeti, which also sounds pretty decent but of course for beginner mics theyre good, but if at any point youre willing to pay a little more, upgrade just a bit, i'd recommend an XLR mic, not a USB, they give so much better quality
I'm currently using the audio technica at2020 which i got on amazon for like $80 which isn't bad, but you do have to buy an audio interface for it to work, i got the focusrite solo scarlett 2nd gen for somewhere around $100 (maybe just under) but the quality is so good, you do however have to download proper drivers from focusrite's website in order for it to work but those are completely free