£0.50 Microphone! Is it worth it?

andious

New User
Jan 14, 2016
England
YouTube
Hello everybody,

I wanted to start making content about technology that will help you get your YouTube channel up and running if you are a new member of the Freedom! Family. Anything from cameras to microphones, to editing software! On the video below I wanted to show the Freedom! Family what you can get for just £0.50 on EBay. It's a very inexpensive tie mic, however the quality exceeds that of much more expensive USB microphones which can be very pricey at times. Tell me what you think!

EBAY LINK: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Mi...5450a63&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=221849272750

AuthRandom

Rising User
Nov 21, 2015
YouTube
It's a lav mic. Mics are like earphones. Yeah, a cheap pair will do, but a higher price 99% of the time will mean a better quality.

I'd probably get a ~$20 pair myself.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
The law of diminishing returns promotes the believe that you gain less and less as you spend more and more.

It's good to find the middle ground. Too low or too high is not the space to aim for.

AuthRandom

Rising User
Nov 21, 2015
YouTube
The law of diminishing returns promotes the believe that you gain less and less as you spend more and more.

It's good to find the middle ground. Too low or too high is not the space to aim for.
Yeah, $300 seems to be the highest before you get into mics that won't increase quality much, but may give helpful features.

My AT2020 works fine for a $99 mic.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Yeah, $300 seems to be the highest before you get into mics that won't increase quality much, but may give helpful features.

My AT2020 works fine for a $99 mic.
My Blue Yeti cost $102.01 CAD when I bought it on Black Friday. That's currently $68.57 USD, but was closer to $73 when purchased.

andious

New User
Jan 14, 2016
England
YouTube

This mixed with Audacity creates the sound into something that the raw sound of my Blue Snowball can't even achieve, this is better than a pair of headphones! :D Thanks for feedback though

AuthRandom

Rising User
Nov 21, 2015
YouTube
This mixed with Audacity creates the sound into something that the raw sound of my Blue Snowball can't even achieve, this is better than a pair of headphones! :D Thanks for feedback though
Blue snowball isn't that good. I have one, and it's a really big mic considering the pretty low quality. Sad.

AuthRandom

Rising User
Nov 21, 2015
YouTube
Yeah it started off great but lost quality within a year of having it :(
Thats how a lot of mics are. When I first got it I was like "Wow! sounds amazing!" but I slowly noticed how static-y it is. With the AT2020 after a bit of editing it has absolutely 0 noise. Raw recordings, unediting, have a very slight bit though

andious

New User
Jan 14, 2016
England
YouTube
Thats how a lot of mics are. When I first got it I was like "Wow! sounds amazing!" but I slowly noticed how static-y it is. With the AT2020 after a bit of editing it has absolutely 0 noise. Raw recordings, unediting, have a very slight bit though
I was definitely thinking of buying that microphone heard great things from it.