YouTube Not sticking to one genre?

THENigeliam

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
I started off as a gaming YouTube channel, but it's not going off as of late.

Recently, I wanted to upload a little bit more than just gaming.

I wanted to go all out of being entirely me, having the audience see what kind of random things runs inside my head and actually get to see it in reality. But you know, maybe they're not interested to see me like that.

But I would like to try anyway.

But I am hearing/reading that you should stick to one type only for "branding" or recognition that this channel is all and only about this and that.

So what do you think guys? Should I try to at least at something more to the channel? Or just stick with the regular stuff?

Personally, I didn't really want the channel to be just gaming, I want it to contain whatever I want to do, and that just throws out the "target audience" thing out of the window.

spikezer0

Rising User
Apr 11, 2017
YouTube
I say don't limit yourself to one thing. It's fun switching things up if your a gaming channel I can see it getting alittle repetitious after awhile. Explore and expand break out of the caterpie and become a butterfly lol..

Reactions: THENigeliam

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
At the end of the day, the target audience is people who like your content and like who you are as a person.
It shouldn't matter if it is about games or a different genre.

It is your choice, have fun with it.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
If you are engaging in a medium and are dissatisfied because it isn't going anywhere, you are doing the wrong thing. You must produce content that you are fine with being relatively unsuccessful with. The expectation of success will drive your morale into the ground and you'll end up quitting.

Explore different content types without the idea of success, and find the one that suits you best.

Still a shame that many people think that a gaming channel is what they want to put their creative edge into. Few people take off, and so many channels go under because of the lack of success. This, why? As above, so below. They expected success that they didn't get when they invested in a medium that they wouldn't do if there wasn't a lure of success. Remove the lure of success, and explore.

YVNGRAM

New User
Apr 19, 2017
YouTube
I agree with pretty much everyone here. as long as you enjoy it then your subs should too but if they dont post alot of it you still want to make sure your balancing it out. once you get a decent amount of subs you may want to make 2 channels. Gaming channel , vlog channel etc.

Y

YourSimpleGamer

Nope I will be doing multiple genres as that is the best option, though depending on things some could settle with one.