Short vs Long gaming videos???

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this but it is related to gaming.
Lately I've been feeling conflicted with how I should make my gaming videos.

Is 20-40min too long? Maybe I'm fine with it because I can sit through 50min no problem when I watch other gamers.

I just feel you lose the vibe of the game especially if it's one of those with some story behind it if I had to cut it down to maybe 5-10min.

Any advice? Or would it also depend on the game I'm playing?

Reactions: Jack Bounds

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
It is indeed the place for discussion about this. I've been in the similar situation with regards to gaming videos. Typically I try and cover a set amount in the videos and not overly worry about the time, though this does depend on the game I'm / you would be playing. Honestly I have no issue sitting through longer gaming videos (20-40minutes) but no everyone is like me, I would say as long as the video is engaging and your not wasting time doing "silly things" in it like item management then you should be fine.

With that being said though it might be worth viewing your analytics about your average view duration as you should try and work videos around that to optimise viewing potential.

Reactions: KuyasKorner

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
It is indeed the place for discussion about this. I've been in the similar situation with regards to gaming videos. Typically I try and cover a set amount in the videos and not overly worry about the time, though this does depend on the game I'm / you would be playing. Honestly I have no issue sitting through longer gaming videos (20-40minutes) but no everyone is like me, I would say as long as the video is engaging and your not wasting time doing "silly things" in it like item management then you should be fine.

With that being said though it might be worth viewing your analytics about your average view duration as you should try and work videos around that to optimise viewing potential.

Ya I'm trying to view my analytics, I guess it will take a while before I can see any difference when I try something new. Well, I'll keep trying ;)

C

Corpfox

As long as its entertaining, I'd watch a 50 min video. If its mixed content (unboxing & gameplay), not gonna watch it.

Thrown Controllers shows are up to 1 hour and cause its geek trivia, I'd watch them.

FireRamYT

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 29, 2017
Glasgow
YouTube
FireRamYT
I guess since I'm still new (and considering I'm a really shy introvert) I still have a long way to go. Been trying to make videos to break out of my shell if you could say that. Well thanks the feedback :)

I get that with me being an ex DJ it kind of helps but you will see sometimes i forget am recording a video and start sing to myself like i did in my first Time Too Play Video.

riganthor

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Mar 10, 2015
YouTube
Riganthor
my average vids are 5-13 minutes due to me wanting to keep it highly entertaining but that doesnt mean that it is the best for everyone. you need to figure out what length fits better with the style of videos you want to create. I cant say anything else then, experiment with the length and feel a bit out what works best for you and your audience

RAB2784LetsPlays

Rising User
Jan 23, 2015
YouTube
I think it depends on the game on what’s going on at the time, I tend to make my videos between 10-20 mins long but if it needs longer then I’ll make it longer, my latest video is on the Late Shift & the only point I felt I could finish the video that made sense in my head was about the 25 min mark. Realistically it’s what ever you think makes the best sense to you my dude :)

502Gaming

Rising User
Dec 1, 2017
YouTube
I am a very small channel right now but our goal is to always aim for around 10 minutes. I personally will watch any video at any length as long as you have my attention. But there are many many viewers out there that will see a video is 45 minutes long and immediately exit the video.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube

It definitely depends on what you are playing. I like to make longer games that are more story driven into longer videos for that series. If it's a shorter game the episodes are also shorter.

Though honestly I haven't been able to use that practice too often as I'm almost always playing longer games XD

iGoDZoFLuiGii

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Okay from my experience since I started back in 2010, many people like to watch short videos when it come to gaming, when its Lets Plays it can depend on the game your doing and what your covering in the video, for example if your doing a Lets Play on Skyrim it be best to cut out all the unnecessary travel clips because no one whats to see you walk over to the objective, but if you encounter some moments that are worth showing off, whether its funny or something important to notice to the audience then include it.

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
This is my way of thinking regarding video's lengths.

If it's a Youtuber who's established, have a a video 50+ minutes is ok as their fan base already know about them and know their styles.

If you're a small Youtuber who's looking to grow an audience I would recommend shorter videos, that way new viewers can actually see what you're about without having to sit through 30+ minutes of a video. I rather watch a 9 minute video which I'm not gonna skip through cause it's not long, than a 40 minute video where I would skip through to see if there are any funny or important parts and potentially miss out on something.

When starting out the shorter the video the better I believe. Once more established, having longer videos will be more sufficient.

Bleo

Freedom! Member
Sep 10, 2016
YouTube
Well if you're someone small in the community, having short video lengths is the best way to go if you are looking to keep growing. Because new viewers would prefer to watch a short video to see what the channel is actually about.

Once you build a fan base where you're actions are supported by fans, longer videos would be great for them. Because they would want more content from you and longer videos would keep them satisfied as they wait for a new video to come out

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this but it is related to gaming.
Lately I've been feeling conflicted with how I should make my gaming videos.

Is 20-40min too long? Maybe I'm fine with it because I can sit through 50min no problem when I watch other gamers.

I just feel you lose the vibe of the game especially if it's one of those with some story behind it if I had to cut it down to maybe 5-10min.

Best would be 20 min max but i am also one that neglect that rule. I always live stream resulting in video's being 60 to 120 min or even more and to be honest some of them even gain better view ratio then my short video's.