LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube
LtGeneralStore
Hello all!

As you can probably tell I have the word "Gaming" at the end of my username, about a year ago I saw a post here saying it was a good idea because if you comment on someone else's video and someone sees the "Gaming" it suggests that I upload my own videos instead of just being a normal user. Now I'm kind of getting the idea that having "Gaming" or "Games" at the end of my username is not needed. What are your opionions on this?

-LtGeneralStore

erickismeme

Rising User
Feb 7, 2017
YouTube
erickismeme
Well ive actually never thought of having gaming at the end of my username to bring in viewers but it might work. Do you think it has worked for you? I think it would work because it does make you stand out a bit in the comment section among all the other normal users.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
I don't think it makes that much difference, if people get to know you and are interested in viewing your channel then they can always check out your link. Having the 'gaming' or 'games' afterwards just seems to more of an afterthought which may help sway certain people as they might then go 'I wonder what types of games he does' but I don't think its going to have a massive impact

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Hello all!

As you can probably tell I have the word "Gaming" at the end of my username, about a year ago I saw a post here saying it was a good idea because if you comment on someone else's video and someone sees the "Gaming" it suggests that I upload my own videos instead of just being a normal user. Now I'm kind of getting the idea that having "Gaming" or "Games" at the end of my username is not needed. What are your opionions on this?

-LtGeneralStore
It's not really needed. Put it into your Channel keywords here instead: https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings

The shorter a Name is, the better. Having Gaming in it won't help you at SEO whatsoever as the term "Gaming" is saturated and you won't come up there.

MSHAY Gaming

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 1, 2016
YouTube
Yea its not really needed to be fair, only ever use it if it suites your name. Makes no other difference in other cases.

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Freedom! Member
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube
Yea, its doesn't really matter if you have "gaming" or not, as others have said just putting in your channel tags & having videos relating to it that will be all you need. My name is nothing to do with gaming but the channel is games dev & gaming focused.​

Marcus Walker

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2014
Canada
YouTube
Sure, if he likes it and wants it there. I don't think it would necessarily bring more people to his channel perse'. Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't put gaming at the end, not unless I wanted it there or part of my name and or business.
I think the big thing about his saying gaming would be helping his channel, would only be if you comment on other peoples videos alot.

I think the big thing about his saying gaming would be helping his channel, would only be if you comment on other peoples videos alot.
I suppose it's possible. I comment on other people channels a lot, so would gaming added to the end of my name help bring viewers to my channel, it's hard to say. I tend to get shout outs, twitter posts and feedback that bring in some views, but I suppose adding gaming may or may not add those potential viewers. Wish there was an easy way to test this to find out.

Marcus Walker

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Oct 31, 2014
Canada
YouTube
I suppose it's possible. I comment on other people channels a lot, so would gaming added to the end of my name help bring viewers to my channel, it's hard to say. I tend to get shout outs, twitter posts and feedback that bring in some views, but I suppose adding gaming may or may not add those potential viewers. Wish there was an easy way to test this to find out.
I know, it would be kinda hard to test this. It just kinda shows that your a "Youtuber" im not saying i agree or disagree with it. Personally i don't think it makes a difference

yeagerbomb

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jul 14, 2016
YouTube
yeagerbomb31
As a gaming channel, I didn't want to put gaming in my name because I feel it would limit me to just gaming. What if I wanted to do something else? And guess what, I did end up wanting to do other things and so I wasn't stuck just because my name had gaming in it. While I am primarily a gaming channel, I am free to do whatever I want!

MATTERSGAME

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 20, 2014
YouTube
mattersgame
well I personally put "GAME" in my name because it goes with my slogan and brand "My name is MATTERS playing the game s that MATTER" so it all depends on your personal style. I'm actually trying to push more away from using the word game but that will come later lol. you cant just search the word "matters" and find my channel