YouTube CAN'T YOUTUBE DO THIS...

Creative Myth

Respected User
Nov 5, 2016
YouTube
CreativeMyth
I don't think that's a good idea. Smaller channels will stay with smaller channels, and bigger channels will stay with bigger channels. A lot of bigger channels shoutout and sometimes do collabs with smaller channels, so that would stop. Plus smaller channels wouldn't get the same opportunity to be compared against bigger channels. Then doing that will decrease the upward mobility even more.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
To be able to search channels, or videos by channels, within certain subscriber count demographics would be a pretty sweet system that would enable people who are looking for undiscovered talent to find it.

However, that opens the door for people willing to abuse the system, I could see myself getting more of those "hey nice video [insert self promotion]" comments as they're trying to manipulate those who are gullible enough to think that statistic falsification works to go for their deluded favor. I hate those people, but perhaps it wouldn't be too bad. But I think it would require having appropriate comment management systems that prevent such spam.

Reactions: AFKPlays

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
I don't think that's a good idea. Smaller channels will stay with smaller channels, and bigger channels will stay with bigger channels. A lot of bigger channels shoutout and sometimes do collabs with smaller channels, so that would stop. Plus smaller channels wouldn't get the same opportunity to be compared against bigger channels. Then doing that will decrease the upward mobility even more.
If smaller channels get compared with bigger channels...how the hell does that help? (the current state) This idea WILL HELP big youtubers collab with smaller youtubers too! At the current rate, smaller youtubers get near nil exposure, if this idea was executed, he could at least stand out in the smaller section right? The big channels can just check for some small youtubers who has talent from the category to collab with...(because people at the top of the category are the best in the category)....And it's much more connective as a small youtuber will feel it easy to get along with another small youtuber just fine...[DOUBLEPOST=1487690261][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be able to search channels, or videos by channels, within certain subscriber count demographics would be a pretty sweet system that would enable people who are looking for undiscovered talent to find it.

However, that opens the door for people willing to abuse the system, I could see myself getting more of those "hey nice video [insert self promotion]" comments as they're trying to manipulate those who are gullible enough to think that statistic falsification works to go for their deluded favor. I hate those people, but perhaps it wouldn't be too bad. But I think it would require having appropriate comment management systems that prevent such spam.
Yes...the comments spam has been going for a while...but I'm pretty sure the problem of sub botting will be solved! Simply because, if you have 5000 subs but your content is crap...you ain't getting on top...if you have 50 subs with the same content....you have a better shot at the top of your category! :D The idea is not to keep it sub based...but to link subs with quality content! :D The more subs you gain the more responsibility you have, to maintain good content!

Last edited:

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Yes...the comments spam has been going for a while...but I'm pretty sure the problem of sub botting will be solved! Simply because, if you have 5000 subs but your content is crap...you ain't getting on top...if you have 50 subs with the same content....you have a better shot at the top of your category! :D The idea is not to keep it sub based...but to link subs with quality content! :D The more subs you gain the more responsibility you have, to maintain good content!
This also contends to whether or not YouTube is willing to set something up to tell the difference. Perhaps what they could do in such a scenario is have a threshold in order to enter the category. So that instead of having random videos enter, the videos that perform better out of the gate would end up making the cut.

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
This also contends to whether or not YouTube is willing to set something up to tell the difference. Perhaps what they could do in such a scenario is have a threshold in order to enter the category. So that instead of having random videos enter, the videos that perform better out of the gate would end up making the cut.
Yes, that's precisely what I meant though....once you link subs and content quality...that's the next big thing!

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Yes, that's precisely what I meant though....once you link subs and content quality...that's the next big thing!
Well content quality isn't something that can be scanned by the machine. It simply has to be determined by the quality of the community surrounding the video. A high view-to-engagement ratio is important to a popular video staying popular.

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
Well content quality isn't something that can be scanned by the machine. It simply has to be determined by the quality of the community surrounding the video. A high view-to-engagement ratio is important to a popular video staying popular.
Yep :D It would be nice to have a system like that though...

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
I had this idea where youtube can divide channels based on their subs into different categories....like 1-1000 subs, 1000-10000, etc. that way people can discover each other within the range too? Like with the recent up and coming tab, create one based on the subscribers?
If they could work if out well then it sure would be a great idea and a chance for smaller channels to get noticed a bit more :)

Connor Gunningham

Freedom! Member
May 7, 2016
YouTube
I had this idea where youtube can divide channels based on their subs into different categories....like 1-1000 subs, 1000-10000, etc. that way people can discover each other within the range too? Like with the recent up and coming tab, create one based on the subscribers?
There is many advantages and disadvantages with this.

One good thing with this is that you could find someone to collab with.
One bad thing with this is that no matter what you have a small chance to get seen by anyone to be honest.

These were just two things if anyone has anything else it would be great to know not only to help me but to also help AFKPLAYS

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
There is many advantages and disadvantages with this.

One good thing with this is that you could find someone to collab with.
One bad thing with this is that no matter what you have a small chance to get seen by anyone to be honest.

These were just two things if anyone has anything else it would be great to know not only to help me but to also help AFKPLAYS
But the bad thing you mentioned isn't exactly a negative that comes from the feature right? I mean it'll help better than the condition now...